WestCoastPaddler.com

 Home / About  Paddling Locations Gallery  Kayak and Accessory Building  Desktop Wallpaper Images  Community

> Building Kayaks and Kayak Accessories > Building the Pygmy Osprey Double

Glued first side of panels together
April 8, 2002 - 3.0 hrs
Setting up the shop space - The floor of the garage where I was building the kayak has an oil pit in it that is covered with 2x6's and is very uneven. To make a level surface for glueing the mahogany panels together I built a frame out of 2x4's on the floor and covered it with sheets of OSB board. Total size of level area is 4 feet by twenty feet. Once the pieces are glued together I'll take the frame apart, cut the OSB board and use it to make a bench about 2 1/2' wide.

Cutting wire to length - It took about an hour to cut 100' of wire into 3 1/2" pieces by measuring and cutting one piece and then using that as a guide for cutting the next pieces (50' yielded about 200 3 1/2" pieces. - Note: the wire cutting process was pretty slow - next time I'll try cutting a paper cup to 3 1/2 inches, put the end of the wire into the cup and then cut the wire at the lip).

April 9, 2002 - 2.0 hrs
Laying out pre-cut pieces - Took all the pieces out of the box and layed them out on the plywood deck. There is a slight difference in the grain on the top deck piece at the stern of the boat -- hopefully this won't show as much once the glassing is done. I also noticed a small blemish in one of the bow pieces so I switched the right piece with the left one. I also organized the shop to make it easier to work.

Day 1:
April 10, 2002 - 3.0 hrs
Glued first side of panels together - I laid out the pieces on the 4' x 20' deck and tacked into place as per instructions -- worked fine and all panels were nearly perfectly aligned. It would be much easier and a lot quicker if the Pygmy instruction manual had measurements for spacing between chalk lines. The accompanying diagram shows placement of the chalk lines so that panels for one side will fit in a 4' wide area. I placed the panels from the center outwards so that I would be able to see the chalklines. My first experience with fiberglass and epoxy was fortunately uneventful. Everything went as expected.
opening.jpg p0004270.jpg p0004276.jpg