• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WTB Solstice GT.

I don’t know where you are, but Jericho Sailing Centre has an old CD Extreme that they are trying to get rid of. The owner evidently hasn’t paid storage fees. Will likely require some DIY maintenance, but nothing that looks too complicated.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reactions: CPS
The Extreme is one of those boats I've e always wanted to try. I wonder how it compares to a Solstice, both in terms of fit and handling.

Sorry, I might have got the name confused. It might be a CD Expedition — there was always some confusion over the models Extreme/Expedition/Nomad in my mind.

I’ve no idea about fit or handling, but wow — it’s a big boat. Built back in the day when people aspired to go on looong trips. But yeah, it’s narrower by a couple of inches than a Solstice GT.

The boat in question sat on a rack next to mine for years and never moved.

Cheers,
Andrew

Reactions: CPS
Solstice GT was my first kayak. Purchased because my very first kayak daytrip was in that model. I later found the GT was near impossible to turn upwind in 15+ knot winds. Power up, initiate with a sweep, put in a cross bow rudder plus the kayak rudder helping…rinse and repeat. No go. The thought of not being able to turn upwind to effect a rescue was enough for me to sell the GT. The CD Gulfstream that replaced the GT was a joy in wind. Any which way.

Remote, if you have not already done so, try many different kayaks in various sea states and wind conditions, before focusing on one model. And ask the brain trust here on WCP if you have questions.

Back