• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

paddle daytrips for newbies?

Wow. 8O

If anyone has a problem with the way this site is managed, please feel free to contact myself or any of the other five fellows who run this site, to express your concerns.

Any further posts to this thread that are not about places for beginners to paddle will be deleted.

In the meanwhile, I apologize to anyone who was offended by any of my comments but this thead needs to get back on track.

good to see things back on track.

another good place to paddle for beginners is the alouette river and the alouette river north. i think both of these are mentioned on this site in the paddling locations. i've had some nice times paddling in those rivers and they're pretty easy with nothing too strenuous and the paddle back is always nice because you get the current helping you out.

Kermode said:
canoecat said:
The times I have paddled Silvermere, we put in at a spot about 50m from the intersection of Hayward and Keystone. It seemed to be a sort of steps down a local "dump".
Anyway, you do not quite slide into the water. Around 2000, some property owners put up a sign near the "Welcome" sign claiming that the lake was private property. We decided to challenge that.
The north end is still First Nations land, I believe.
Hi Canoecat, I looked for your put in tonight, but can't really see anything, in that area that would be suitable. There is a really marshy bit, that could be the place but really difficult access. Don't think I'd try it!
The sign you mentioned about the lake being private is still there, but the biggy is Genstar, they have a signs in a few places indicating that there are "hidden hazards" (on the land) fines of $2000 for transgressors etc, etc. that's at the North end (Hayward St) access. As someone said it's not really a prime site to kayak, but I agree about the "principle". There is a lot more going on in the whole Silverdale area with Genstar but that's getting off topic. BTW canoecat what was the result of your challenge & who did you contact. On a happier note I saw tonight that Hayward lake is now full again :p but not sure yet if Hydo have completed their work around the boat launch/ beach. They hadn't on Tuesday. Respect to Hydo :p A lot of work to insure the public can still enjoy a great facility.

My "layman" understanding is that there are two issues here. Genstar may legally own the lakebottom and any of the accesspoints to the lake, but there seems to be some dispute about their title to the water and its use. As I understand it, simply walking up and putting in off the side of the road is illegal, however if you had permission to put-in off of a private residence, I can not see why you would have any problems. the main concern, according to published articles in the local paper, and transcripts of city hall meetings, seems to be the prohibition of powered-watercraft (high-speed wakeboarding boats and the errosion the wakes cause) and the docks that allow these boats to operate.

I guess the long and short would be: there are enough quality, public acess areas to use in this province, why stir up potential trouble by picking a clearly posted, private lake? If I paid big $$ to buy property on a private lake, I would definately take exception to the general public poaching on it, and would take action to protect my rights. As for Genstar and their beef with their customer's use and whether this use has been allowed over the past 25 years and only recently changed, well, that doesn't really apply unless you own property there.

G.

Tsawassen - Tsatsu area......

There's a neat area for a casual day-trip !!!!!!!

There's area to launch alongside the road going to the Tsawassen Ferry Terminal.

It makes for a pleasing cruise from there either out towards the Ferry Terminal or along the beach towards Point Roberts - there's always a few seals around there to keep one company :)

West_Coast_Weirdo said:
good to see things back on track.

another good place to paddle for beginners is the alouette river and the alouette river north. i think both of these are mentioned on this site in the paddling locations...

I concur. Alouette River is probably the most peaceful paddle I've ever had. I'm not sure what this year's water level might be, but I'd encourage any newbie to get out and try the "river" -- not much current when I was there.

Buntzen Lake should also be added to any newbie's agenda.

Back