• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Question about Toquart Bay Parking

Oops, I forgot to add --- I don't think I'm acting as a host to somebody because they park a car up my street for a while, or expect them to pay me money for it. My neighbors friends sometimes leave cars parked in front of various houses, sometimes for long periods of time. The people whose houses are on the street where the cars are parked neither feel they should be given money, or feel like they are acting as hosts to the owners of the parked cars. But maybe this varies from place to place.
Just out of curiosity, how do you think my parking a car on a street make the people that live there my host? It must be cool to live somewhere that feels such a strong sense of community --- is that what it's like where you live?

cyberhun said:
I think road funding is either provincial or federal so I don't think I'm "consuming their resources..." just by driving there. I live in a large city where most of the tax money is generated to begin with, and so having roads built way out into the sticks could be seen as being a consumption of MY resources...
There is not much else for me to sink my teeth into to, but let me try to clear up what I think is a misconception. The money for the roads in the sticks were paid for by stumpage fees, oil and gas revenues, and license fees and taxes collected on the commercial fishery, that all added up to substantial amounts of money back in the good old days (or bad, depending on your point of view). Back in the 60's, 70's, I would argue that the "sticks" supported the lower mainland and not vice versa, as we pumped huge amounts of money into general revenues and did not recieve a commensurate amount of money and services in return. Since the 80's, I would agree with you that the majority of tax money (except for oil and gas revenues from the northeast, which are currently high) has come from the lower mainland but I do not believe that this was always the case.

Brad

cyberhun said:
The disability is foot and lower back-related. I'd prefer to hike but can't do that--- hence the paddling.
Hey Cyberdude, that must make it really difficult for you to get your boat and gear from the car to the water. How do you do that with a bum foot and bad back? Are you on a WorksafeBC claim? I'll bet they'd like to hear about all your paddling adventures. :roll:

Please stop being so argumentative with everyone. This place has a nice feel to it but you seem to go out of your way to go against the grain. Chill out dude.

uuuuu... This thread is not fun to read specially for my hung-over-body...( somebody kill me!! please...) It just give me headach...

Please just don't say anything to me starting all over this when you see me paying some parking fee or camping fee...

I wish this is swept clean... along with this residual alcohol...
Sorry...

LMFAO here we go again :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I am starting to think you do this on purpose Cyberhun.

No, it's not a worksafe claim. And, yes, sometimes it is difficult. Extremely difficult, in fact. But not impossible if you do things like drag the yak empty to the waters edge, then load it, take huge amounts of anti-inflammatories and painkillers just prior to launching/un-launching, get help whenever possible, be prepared to get laid up for a few days here and there when the back muscles inevitably tear anyway despite all the exercises and pills, and so on and so forth.

Why do you guys think I paddle alone? Because I just can't see being a part of a group when every other day or three I have to limit my paddling to like five km (if that, sometimes I lay "in bag" most of the day) because of intermittent severe lower back pain, despite all the medication and therapy. There was a spinal-injury guy who soloed the Mckenzie River --- it's not impossible, you know.

I understand why people feel that the system is being abused by cheaters (because it is, but I'm not one of them, and I have x-raus to prove it) and how easy it is to feel that it's acceptable to vent your anger at somebody when you see others in a group all pointing the finger at one individual and levelling various criticisms at him. It's just simply in the nature of the human 'beast' to gang up. I did it myself in my younger days. Go ahead, get it out of your system --- better for you gang criticise me, than somebody who's going to be angered by it.

Read all of this again --- am I really the one being confrontational and argumentative? I honestly don't think so. I just said I find it annoying the way these "GIVE US MONEY..." signs have proliferated which triggered a barrage of criticisms like "why is this such a major issue for you?" --- I said it was annoying, not a major issue. And, "you say you deserve a break because of it." (the disability) --- No I didn't, I only brought it up by way of explanation as to why I don't have a ton of money to throw around. If I did, I'd probably buy even more stuff in small communities than you.

Anybody else?

cyberhun said:
I don't think I'm acting as a host to somebody because they park a car up my street for a while, or expect them to pay me money for it. My neighbors friends sometimes leave cars parked in front of various houses, sometimes for long periods of time. The people whose houses are on the street where the cars are parked neither feel they should be given money, or feel like they are acting as hosts to the owners of the parked cars. But maybe this varies from place to place.
Just out of curiosity, how do you think my parking a car on a street make the people that live there my host? It must be cool to live somewhere that feels such a strong sense of community --- is that what it's like where you live?

If it is in front of my house, no, unless it is used constantly and get in the way of my daily duty ( like mowing the lown there without damaging that car, or get the deliverly truck do their job, getting the trash out, etc...) and leagal to collect fee.
But if they park inside of my property, enjoying my garden ( it is not pretty now, too busy paddling) or hot tub, absolutly I will think I am the host to that car owner. If I say, please pay, I expect them to pay. Even if she did not pay, I expect my family( who dose not know if she paid or not) to treat her as a guest and being host to her.

Yes, I grew up in a small village with strong sence of community. If any car ( out sider's or not) parked inside of our community got vandalized, we made it big deal like it was a shame of village, kept close eyes on suspecius kids or guys and had village meeting to fix such problems. And yes if the outsiders park their cars and enjoy a shrine festival held in my small village (we did not have pretty place to hung around but had some fun event), definately we felt we were hosting them. Keeping the peace with visitors and keeping attracting them cost money and efforts of the town.
When we live in big cities like Seattle and Vancouver so long, we tend to forget that sence of community. But the people live in such a small remote places, I bet they still have that sence just like I still have that sence when I go back to my hometown.

This is what I think about " being a host to a stranger in my village" as a person who grew up in a small village.

Now you can see my "hung over" is gone swept clean :D I can think straight!!

sushiy said:
This is what I think about " being a host to a stranger in my village" as a person who grew up in a small village.

Now you can see my "hung over" is gone swept clean :D I can think straight!!

I hope the pre-hangover party was fun enough to make it worthwhile despite the hangover!
;)

By the way, if you ever need to park your car in Surrey, you can leave it in front of our house (for free).

Good to hear you in there, Sushiy.

West_Coast_Weirdo said:
Hey Cyberdude, Are you on a WorksafeBC claim? I'll bet they'd like to hear about all your paddling adventures. :roll:

No, I'm not 'on a Worksafe claim', whatever that is. If you think I'm committing fraud here's a phone number you can use to report it: 604 661-6844

Or, why don't I give you the phone number of the doctor who's supporting the claim --- that would be an even more direct way for you deal with it. PM me.

If you think a person capable of ocean kayaking is automatically committing fraud if they receive any kind of disability benefits, you're either not very knowledgable or you're jumping to a whole lot of conclusions that in actual fact are invalid. But don't take my word for it, use the phone number.

Yes, this forum does a nice friendly feel to it, from most of the members.

Back