• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Good deals on VHFs and flare kits May 1-4, West Marine (US)

AdamB

Paddler
JIS 7 waterproof handheld VHF with a big fat display, WX, Hi-LO and squelch control: $79

Also: 12-gauge aerial flare gun kit with 4 shells and 4 handheld flares, all by ORION: $54

At your local West Marine off most main highways, and most recently in the downtowns of small port towns like Marblehead and, for a recent year or two, Gloucester.

This message sounds like spam. Why would anyone here care about a sale price in Massachusetts?

Just John said:
This message sounds like spam. Why would anyone here care about a sale price in Massachusetts?

They do deliver free of charge to any where in the continental US on orders over 25 pounds. Or so they state on their web site.

I agree with the "spammish" sound of the original post but since the poster is somewhat of a regular contributor to the site, I'm somewhat hesitant to delete the post. I guess it does sorta, kinda violate the "no commercial posts allowed" rule. Yeah, I'm being wishy washy this morning.

Guy has no commercial ties to WM, I think. I expect it was just a good faith attempt to alert folks to some good deals. Would not be my style, but it's his.

Astoriadave said:
Guy has no commercial ties to WM, I think. I expect it was just a good faith attempt to alert folks to some good deals.

I agree 100%.
This is the "community" about, isn't it? We talk about gear, technique, all kind of tips, and good deal, all about paddling related topics.

Adam's site dose not automatically lead you to WestMarine site, yes?

If I say " MEC, or Western Canoe, or Ocean River has sale on tommorow!!", Dose it violate the " non-comercial" policy??
If I say, there is this great event with $50.00 resistration fee with top instructor demo!!", dose it also violate it???

sushiy said:
I agree 100%.
This is the "community" about, isn't it? We talk about gear, technique, all kind of tips, and good deal, all about paddling related topics.

The site admins agree 100% as well as is witnessed by this topic remaining.

There is however, a line that has to be drawn somewhere when it comes to determining "commercial" versus "informative" posts. I'm not sure where that line is but there is always a discussion among the admins when the question arises.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. It just seems that the OP makes a lot of posts promoting this and that, often for his own benefit. I suspected taht this was the same thing. Sorry if anyone was offended.

I should add that it seems strange that someone would post something specifically for products available at a store on the other side of the continent. That's what set me off.

Hi guys,
I didn't mean to offend. I have no relationship with West Marine. They are a huge retailer with stores throughout North America.

The radio and flares struck me as good deals. West Marine will ship anywhere. And with the US dollar in the gutter, Canadians pay no premium.

Also Seattle, etc., are real close to BC. But with internet shipping these days that seems irrelevant.

Anyhow, you can't beat $79 for a submerisible. So I guess if see these deals again I'll post them in "for sale".

And that flare combo was a steal, especially when you consider it included a twelve-gauge and handheld flares.

Back