• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Parking in Tofino...

Mark_Schilling

Paddler
My last over-night parking requirement in Tofino was in June last year, and I was greeted by a little note on my car warning that free parking in Tofino would soon become a thing of the past. At that time there were no plans in place for future parking lots or permit rates.

If anyone's been up that way for extended trips in Clayoquot this summer, what is the current parking situation in town? Is there still a reasonable amount of parking in town for weekend or longer (multi-week) durations? What are the rates like?

Thanks!

just a thought, Mark, but why don't you call Tofino Town Hall or some tourism branch?

Daren......

Tofino Parking

Agree that you should call to find out the real poop.

For what it's worth, we parked for a week in May in the gravel "public" lot down near the kayak shop, which is where the locals told us to park. However, that lot is lined with signs that indicate permit parking only. I rationalized that the signs referred only to the edge of the lot and not to the middle. We started on a Sunday, so neither the police station nor the city office was staffed, so we never found anyone in an official capacity to give us an official answer. In any case, we weren't ticketed or towed.

-tom a.

Thanks Tom - good to know. That's the same lot I've always used but it sounded like they were going to impliment and enforce a permit system this year, so I wondered what had happened. I won't be heading up that way for a while yet, but I'm going to do my best to get up there for at least a weekend before the year is over.

We just got back from Tofino. As others have found, the town is gradually pushing parking restrictions farther from the core area.

For the past three years, we've parked in the same place with no problems.

When you come into Tofino, and before reaching the coop grocery store, there is a park on the left side. (Incidentally, this park has a public washroom.) The park includes a skateboard park. If you turn left onto the street that climbs past the skateboard park, you can see a school farther up the hill. On the block between the skateboard park and the school, there are no parking restrictions on either side.

Since the nw side is very wide, and as this street's parking becomes more heavily used, it would help if people parked diagonally. And take care not to block the few driveways.

Friends of ours park farther nw, on the ocean side of the town. We've never seen where they park, but it sounds like a long walk compared to where we park.

Now, can someone start a movement to get the rocks cleared from the launch site?

And the answer is:

Just returned from Tofino. Parking rates at the municipal lots are $10/day, $40/week, and $80/month. You get your permit at the municipal office (3rd and Campbell?), right across the street from the RCMP, and adjacent to the two long-term lots. They also have a self-service envelope option if you arrive after hours.

Thanks for the timely update. I'm heading up there next week and was wondering about parking. I also looked it up on street view and found this gem nearby. Street View Link :)

scott_f said:
Thanks for the timely update. I'm heading up there next week and was wondering about parking. I also looked it up on street view and found this gem nearby. Street View Link :)

Oh, one more thing: Showers available for $4 (four loonies needed) in the laundromat on 4th Street.

Sure could have used the tip about the showers. After being out for the week, we settled for a camp soap scrub at our beach site. That stuff takes way too long to rinse off....refreshing though!

In general it would be good to know about all the different launching places parking fees.
Just back from Fair Harbour:
Parking is $9/day or $39/week. Camping is $17/night (avoid the outhouse if you can!).

Re:

was just looking for tofino parking..
As with Darens suggestions contacted city hall, and tourism branch..

And was surprised with the responce, as I was sure the gravel lot had some signs etc ??

We do have a gravel parking lot behind our office 121 – 3rd street – which is free parking – the paved lot beside us is for only RV parking. If the gravel lot is full then you would have to drive around town to find a spot that has no signs. So far we have not had a problem with the gravel lot being full – but it is first come first serve.
DarenN said:
just a thought, Mark, but why don't you call Tofino Town Hall or some tourism branch?

Daren......

Just got back from a 15 day trip in the area, leaving our car in Tofino. As indicated above, there is free parking in the gravel lot just north of the town office (behind/to the right of the building when coming into town). Two years ago there was a nominal fee to park there, but when I checked in at the town offices this year I was told that parking fees were being waived to support tourism in the area. The lot was about a third full when we left on July 4th, maybe half full when we got back on July 20th. It's also across the street from the local RCMP station which may help limit car prowlings and break-ins if you're worried about leaving a car for an extended period of time.

thanks for the info !!!

I contacted city all and now two people have told me two things, one said free, second said permit parking

So the one beside city call, one is paved ( i was told is pay for RV's)
other is gravel
tofino 121 – 3rd street
http://tinyurl.com/bq2g2ae

parowlands said:
Just got back from a 15 day trip in the area, leaving our car in Tofino. As indicated above, there is free parking in the gravel lot just north of the town office (behind/to the right of the building when coming into town). Two years ago there was a nominal fee to park there, but when I checked in at the town offices this year I was told that parking fees were being waived to support tourism in the area. The lot was about a third full when we left on July 4th, maybe half full when we got back on July 20th. It's also across the street from the local RCMP station which may help limit car prowlings and break-ins if you're worried about leaving a car for an extended period of time.

City hall has a dirt, gravel lot that is free parking.
Just verify signs as this could change at any time.

I parked last year and it was fine. As well city hall confirmed this with me

blueswallow said:
any more recent updates as to parking in Tofino?

Thanks Kathy

I am a Tofino local...

Yes, the gravel parking lot beside the Municipal District Office is still free.

The lot is only half the size of last year temporarily, therefore it fills more quickly... we have been renovating several blocks of our downtown streets over the winter and the construction crews have been using half the parking lot as storage. It should ALL be open for parking again soon.

Cheers!

Back