• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Point & Shoot vs DSLR

For the last year I have been using my Pentax Coolpix P90. 24x optical zoom beats any lens I had for my Canon Dslr. yes I was once addicted to Dslr's, now its kayaking! :D Lens I had:
18-55 Canon kits lens(so, so)
17-40L Canon lens (SUPER)
75-300 Canon kit lens(so, so)
150-500 Sigma(very good, but a monster to carry around walking)
18-200 Sigma(nice everyday lens for one lens vacation)
10-20 3.5f Sigma(very good for wide angle fun)

I took over 10,000 shots and only had one photo I ever framed!
So I sold it all and bought my Pygmy kit last fall......

Anybody need photography books? I have a dozen or so! :D

I might someday get a dslr, but I just love the small size (and cheap replacement cost) of the little guys. My tiny hp has had the retractable lens get stuck several times (salt spray, my guess), but it gets unstuck eventually and is working now. Just ordered a canon sd1200 for $99 last week. I paid much more than that for one last year for my son. It is a much nicer camera than this particlular hp, which doesn't have the macro or the panoramic view my previous hp had. Perhaps he would even spot me his battery for those longer trips???

I like that because they are so inexpensive, I don't have to have expensive dry bags for them, I just stuff them in my day hatch or pocket.
Maybe someday I'll find the dslr of my dreams at a garage sale...

so what is the consenus for the best waterproof camera on the market? looking for a waterproof camera with a very good zoom

tkcoffey said:
so what is the consenus for the best waterproof camera on the market? looking for a waterproof camera with a very good zoom
This thread is not about waterproof cameras -- it's about Point and Shoot vs dSLR.

I've found that with the new SX20IS that I've been getting about 1300 photos on a single set of batteries -- simply amazing.

I'll do up a review after I've had opportunity to play with this camera a bit more.

I used an SLR while shooting film but I've since come to prefer a compact digital camera with raw format.

My camera (LX-1) is compact/lightweight enough that I almost always have it with me (hence it takes more pictures). A DSLR would give better quality but not enough to compensate for the extra weight/volume/cost (at least for me).

In any case, the kind of fine photography which interests me requires tilt/shift lenses, and a small field camera is not much larger/heavier than a SLR.

Dan_Millsip said:
tkcoffey said:
This thread is not about waterproof cameras -- it's about Point and Shoot vs dSLR.

I've found that with the new SX20IS that I've been getting about 1300 photos on a single set of batteries -- simply amazing.

I'll do up a review after I've had opportunity to play with this camera a bit more.

That is amazing!! I have never had a camera go over 500 frames.
The specs sound similar to my Nikon P90. I love the super telephoto 24X optical zoom.

Back