• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

WHERE DID YOU PADDLE? June 2009

Wind waves breaking over your head. Damn it. For all the times paddling Southern Gulf Islands I've never had the experience there. I've been in some 4 footers but nothing that really breaks over your head. I'm jealous.

Paddled from Whytecliff to Point Atkinson and back. Conditions near the point got sizable. The Legend will take some getting used to, but i should eventually. Found a really neat little rock garden with a good bit of swell hitting it. Now I gotta fix my 'glass boat :oops:

For the summer West Coast Paddler campout at Portland Island, I made a small miscalculation in continuing forth from Coal Island in ~17 knot north westerly winds on Friday night that resulted in my better half swimming and then enduring a 1km chilled tow to Princess Bay.

On Saturday we walked to Arbutus Point and met up with Greg while Richard and Willy were off for burgers on Salt Spring. Sorry about not returning that night to Willy!

...a safe and calm paddle back to Tullista on Sunday.

I took the anas acuta out for little boot around Trial island today. As I was coming back, I ran into a paddler who thought that I was elmo. Which one of you crazy guys was it?

Rum Isl

Darren I was one of the group that distured your privacy for a night

RobP

Hi Rob;
i'd be hard pressed to call your presense a disturbance. :wink: you were a very well behaved group! :D i enjoyed chatting with Steve about hammocks and stuff; and snakes, too.

Daren........

your set up

Steve really liked your set up with the hammock. Our rowdy game of hearts didn't keep you awake-------good thing we only had a couple of bottles of wine as some one could have ended up on a break away.

RobP

Got out three evenings after work this week - once leading a fleet of friends and co-workers (many of whom were first-timers):

7_100_1.jpg

and twice solo. I feel almost fraudulent calling the latter two trips "kayaking" as in several hours on the water, I probably paddled less than thirty minutes. But at least the boat I was sailing was a kayak....
On the way back into English Bay, I saw an eagle perched on a nav bouy.

7_112_1.jpg

We (Maddie, ebluethner, my cousin, and myself) got out to Indian Arm for a paddle up to the power station yesterday:

Passing by Raccoon Island:
7_IMG_4497_1.jpg

Stopped for lunch on the little Twin:
7_IMG_4501_1.jpg

Heading out from the little Twin:
7_IMG_4514_1.jpg

Elsa:
7_IMG_4526_1.jpg

Maddie:
7_IMG_4535_1.jpg

Kevin (at the power station):
7_IMG_4537_1.jpg

Oh yeah, we also ran into Roscoetheguide at Deep Cove Kayak and again at Twin Islands -- nice to meet you Roscoe!

Did a nice paddle/drift down the Squamish River this weekend. About 35km. Forgot the camera so no pictures :evil: but at least I didn't see my first Sasquatch on the trip.

Still plenty of water and flowing good although with low tide I managed to bump the bottom in rapids near the Mamquam. Both the Cheakamus and Mamquam looked a lot lower than a few weeks ago so things are coming down fast.

Hellacious upriver wind once rounding the corner at the Eagle Run viewing area...going down river shouldn't be that much work...next time I'll take out higher!

Crescent Beach

A bit late to be posting this but we went to Crescent Beach to do some rescue practice on the 29th. Afterwards, we went for a paddle towards White Rock before catching yet another amazing Crescent Beach sunset on the way back...

Kayaks on the beach before heading out:
7_IMG_4551_1.jpg

Heading back past the pier:
7_IMG_4570_1.jpg

Crescent Beach is one of the best places in the Lower Mainland to watch the sun set:
7_IMG_4600_1.jpg

The girls fooling around upon our return:

7_IMG_4606_1.jpg

Back