• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Wine (libation) recommendations

I'm with Kenb... nothing like a nice mellow port with that after paddle cigar... and for toasting, Knob Creek bourbon goes great with a Ghurka G3!
I actually have "rolled" with a lit cigar, but that's another story, and I don't like to talk about it...

Stumpy said:
I'm with Kenb... nothing like a nice mellow port with that after paddle cigar
OMG...a man after my own heart :big_thumb

Darren...there is nothing like Krug...a Big wine...Firm and focused flavors...Deep and complex...HUGE Chardonnay, big acidity...but also BIG $$$.

The Charles Heidsieck's I mentioned are far more delicate and have 'Toasty' notes that only come with aged Vintage more expensive juice.
I found this info:
Charles Heidsieck NV Brut Reserve is always at least 40% reserve wines and can go much higher than that. The reserves currently stretch back to the early 90s so you will get a lot of fuller, biscuity, toasty, vanilla notes right off the bat with this wine.

Attachments

• Remole Toscana IGT.jpg
    Remole Toscana IGT.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 6,420
2008 Peter Lehmann Layers
SKU 200261
$19.00
Plenty of availability in B.C.

Shiraz/Mourvedre/Grenache/Tempranillo/Carignane Blend
90pt WS
Full Bodied red in a velvet glove.
Pretty darn tasty $20 wine! :big_thumb

Ken, would you have any recommendations in $10 - $12 range? Perhaps you haven't noticed, but economy has been somehow depressed lately for most people.

greg0rn said:
Ken, would you have any recommendations in $10 - $12 range? Perhaps you haven't noticed, but economy has been somehow depressed lately for most people.
Hi Greg,
Hopefully others will chime in with some recs as well...

There are a couple of candidates in my original list at the start of this thread.

Other decent/good wines at the price point your looking at are:

The Chilean Concha Y Toro 'Casillero Del Diablo' line.
SKU278416 Cab Sauv $13
SKU153270 Carmenere $14
SKU427088 Merlot $14
SKU427088 Shiraz $13
Of course...there are lots of Chilean wines that are great QPR (Quality Price Ratio) in the price range your looking at.

Aussie wines from:
Banrock, Hardy's, Lindemans, McWilliams, Peter Lehmann, and Rosemount (off the top of my head) all offer inexpensive options that are all usually good QPR.

Also...don't be afraid to take a gamble on any of the inexpensive Argentina offerings. There seem to be a fair number of bottles under $12 that I would have no problem trying.

Best of the season to you Greg.

Ken, Thanks for good hints. I know that your taste in wines (and cigars) is first class and I'll blindly follow your advice. Will need a few bottles for the holiday season.

Have a good one and see you one day again on Portland, or so.

enjoying a nice 2006-Barone Ricasoli Chianti Classico right now, which reminds me... Did you go to Italy Ken? How was it?

DarrenM said:
enjoying a nice 2006-Barone Ricasoli Chianti Classico right now, which reminds me... Did you go to Italy Ken? How was it?
Yep...ate too much and drank too much wine...it was awesome! :cool
:mrgreen:

If you like Fruit Bomb's then you'll like this one!

2008 Marquis Philips Shiraz
SKU 224634 $25
15.5% alcohol

Robert Parker 91pts
Lots of supply in B.C.

This is one of those Aussie over-extracted Shiraz fruit-bombs that is so thick you could pour it on pancakes. :yikes:
This wine attacks your taste buds...throws them to the ground and lays the boots to them.
No finesse here, the big fruit comes out punching, and keeps punching through the long finish.

Hard to pair this type of wine to a meal...tends to overpower most foods...BBQ Beef (steak and ribs) perhaps.

If you want to get into the ring with this Aussie brawler...bring back-up. :wink:

Stumpy...let me put it this way...the only water I used in Italy was to brush my teeth! :big_thumb

greg0rn said:
Ken, Thanks for good hints. I know that your taste in wines (and cigars) is first class and I'll blindly follow your advice. Will need a few bottles for the holiday season.

Have a good one and see you one day again on Portland, or so.

Seems to me that the next trip to Portland Is. should attract a Port-tasting, perhaps after the pot-luck! :cool

2009 Mezzomondo Negroamaro Salento IGT
$10.95
CT community 86 points

Dark fruit, plum, bit of oak.
well balanced, nice tannins on the finish

Good value IGT

Beso de Vino 2009
SKU 139618
$13
Spain
Robert Parker 90pts :big_thumb
A fabulous QPR wine.
A Syrah/Grenache blend...great full-bodied and balanced wine.
Stock up.

Stay thirsty my friends.
:mrgreen:

Hey Darren.
I'm waiting for all the Burgundy recommendations. :wink:

BTW...there are still plenty of 2007 Southern Rhone wines still available...2007 was a STELLAR vintage.

2007 Guigal - Cotes du Rhone
SKU 259721
$22
(very nice)

2007 Coudoulet de Beaucastel - Cotes du Rhone
SKU 614503
$35
(a stunning wine at this price point)

Might want to pick up some 2007 CdP's for the cellar.

Also...try this:
2009 M. Chapoutier Belleruche - Cotes du Rhone
SKU 476846
$18.50
(another wonderful QPR wine)

I recently discovered French Brandy (distilled rather than fermented grape) .

A fingers worth in the bottom of a tin cup is enough. one mickey takes less space than a wine bottle and provides for several evenings. One benefit is of space saving.

I have become fond of St-Remy VSOP.

Back