• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Mara Lake BC - September 2010 Kayak Trip

Shuswap Kayaks

Trip to Black Point Peninsula on Mara Lake from Willow Shores Resort by Shuswap Kayaks in September 2010. The sockeye salmon run was near it's end and dead fish floating everywhere...but this was a beautiful day well spent. There is superb music in this clip, so turn up your sound! Check it out yourself at Shuswap Kayaks YouTube Channel:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB4awNh-2q0[/youtube]

nick said:
Pretty tacky having "Shuswap Kayaks" pop up on the screen every 5 to 10 seconds...

I had to stop watching after about 1:00 minute; the constant copyright notice was way too distracting. If you're really that worried about someone using your footage, perhaps you should not put it on the internet.

Which is too bad, I used to work a lot in the Adam's Lake area and loved watching the salmon run.

Andy_Ferguson said:
I had to stop watching after about 1:00 minute; the constant copyright notice was way too distracting....
I agree. Most annoying. I didn't even make it to a minute (although I would have liked to have watched more).

Put a notice at the beginning and the end and leave it at that -- it's more than sufficient.

Amazing how 3 out of 4 people missed the whole point of a submitted video...
you all got annoyed after watching only 1 minute. Wow. Perhaps it was a mistake of posting it here in the first place. Over 80 viewers on YouTube in less than 24 hours prooved otherwise. Sorry to have bothered this boredom place.

4 out of 4. I just did not want to be too direct about your PR approach. Glad to hear that YouTube serves you well.

Could have sworn this place was where paddlers share their experiences - at least the majority of viewers on this forum got the point - a clip about kayaking at a nice place. That's all. We are not advertising - Shuswap Kayaks is a non-profit association, promoting a non-power watersport and a wonderful way to enjoy nature.

No disrespect intended but you might want to take a different approach. Putting a vid. like that up on a board as a first post will to most people reek of spam. You probably had good intentions, just saying.....

Nicely done video - I rather enjoyed your choice of soundtrack as well. But.... yeah, I've got to agree with the rest of them. There's no good reason to plaster your copyright on every clip. And face it, the video clips are not that exciting that everyone is going to go to the trouble of trying to steal them and post them as their own. If you're really that concerned about it, do what Dan said and post one Copyright notice at the beginning or end and leave it at that. Or, if you absolutely must, place a small, discrete Copyright notice unobtrusively in a corner somewhere and leave it there (I don't even really like this idea much). But to have a huge ugly one that pops up every few seconds is extremely distracting and quite unprofessional.

We tend to be a pretty close community of paddlers here, so we won't generally shy away from telling you what we think. Please don't take offense to it! Perhaps the YouTube crowd just isn't interested enough to post comments about it. And, the number of YouTube views doesn't indicate the number of people that watched the entire video! I've watched a lot of YouTube videos (many of them quite a lot more entertaining) and posted a few of my own but I've never seen any with so many Copyright notices. I just don't think it's as big an issue as you seem to think it is.

I too, was turned off by the constant "advertising" in the otherwise entertaining video.

The fact that there are no negative comments on youtube may be due to the fact that "comments are disabled"

Please, entertain us, but don't spam us. (or at least...add the eggs :doh: )

Perhaps the admin can tell us how to REMOVE the video link since this has only disturbed a few of you bored on this boring forum. However, well over 100 people have viewed the clip and obviously enjoyed what it depicts - beautiful scenery and kayaking. The few "sandy baggers" who only complain send all but the wrong message to anyone else who may have thought about sharing their material with you. Kayaks are like flowers - they need constant watering. Some of you have not managed to do that lately by the sounds of it and so you grump at those who did instead. Well done!

Welcome to the forum Shuswap Kayaks! Just ignore the grouchy-pants around here. This forum has lots of interesting information but is not the friendliest place though. Cheers!

stevenf said:
This forum has lots of interesting information but is not the friendliest place though. Cheers!
Wow. That's simply not true. I've been on this site for quite a while now and have found everyone here to be very nice (especially compared to other paddling sites). I too however found the copyright message on the video annoying. If you're going to post a video on the web you should be able to take some constructive criticism if it's not done well. Toughen up man.

stuckonearth said:
stevenf said:
This forum has lots of interesting information but is not the friendliest place though. Cheers!
Wow. That's simply not true. I've been on this site for quite a while now and have found everyone here to be very nice (especially compared to other paddling sites). I too however found the copyright message on the video annoying. If you're going to post a video on the web you should be able to take some constructive criticism if it's not done well. Toughen up man.

Well ya know I find lots of stuff annoying and tacky, but don't usually feel the need to point out to people that I find them annoying and tacky :) That can come across as not very friendly.

Shuswap Kayaks said:
Perhaps the admin can tell us how to REMOVE the video link since this has only disturbed a few of you bored on this boring forum. However, well over 100 people have viewed the clip and obviously enjoyed what it depicts - beautiful scenery and kayaking. The few "sandy baggers" who only complain send all but the wrong message to anyone else who may have thought about sharing their material with you. Kayaks are like flowers - they need constant watering. Some of you have not managed to do that lately by the sounds of it and so you grump at those who did instead. Well done!

#1 I agree with the people that said the copyright popup is annoying and tacky.
#2 The content is hardly exciting enough to steal in the first place.
#3. I have a few choice words about the way you come in and within first few posts start insulting the entire community,but I'll refrain from using profanity on a family-friendly forum.

stevenf said:

Well ya know I find lots of stuff annoying and tacky, but don't usually feel the need to point out to people that I find them annoying and tacky :) That can come across as not very friendly.

OTH... If someone I know steps in dog sh*t, I don't mind telling him to clean off his shoes. I don't think that's "tacky" or "annoying". As far as I'm concerned, SK did the equivalent, whether intentional or not. A quick fix and resolution to the issue would be to repost the Youtube clip without the repetitive copyright notices and we could all enjoy an otherwise interesting video.

Just saying...

Back