• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

The Coast Kayak Symposium

Yeah I noticed that too, but it is three days of meal, accomidation, and, for us mainlanders, transportation too!

It seemded like a lot of cool topics covered too.

I did this in 1994 and had the time of my life. If it weren't for the expense, which is absolutely worth it, I would do it again. I don't know what has changed since 1994, but at the time everyone piled themselves and their boats onto the MV Britannia at Coal Harbour and cruised over to Thetis Island to a private dock at a summer camp. A chef and his staff from some 4 star restaurant in Victoria were brought in and the food was fabulous and plentiful. 3 large meals each day and a never ending supply of fruit and drinks for snacking between meals. There were educational workshops, both on water and off, for all skill levels and interests. There was even a heated pool for learning/practising wet exits and rolling.

Accomodations were a bit rustic - bunk houses with 2x4 bunk beds and prison-style vinyl mattresses. The smart attendees brought tents and setup camp in one of the grass fields.

If the cost is not a deterent, I would highly recommend this long weekend to any paddler.

Darren_McQuitty said:
Steve_Fairbairn said:
a never ending supply of fruit and drinks

drinks?
I seem to recall that there were no adult beverages available. But since you don't need to bring any food or cookware there should be room in your boat for beer. I recall that a number of people from the island got a cut rate for taking the ferry over to Thetis instead of comng from the mainland on the Britannia. Taking a vehicle turned out to be a good thing as a couple of us were able to hitch a ride with one of them to the pub on the other side of the island near the ferry dock.

Back