• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Ceramic Knives

Batstar

Paddler
985baea7.jpg

I just picked up a couple of these knives which happened to be on sale at Cdn Tire for $7.99 each. I couldn't pass them up as the normal retail price is $20. I've had a similar version in our kitchen camp kit for over 5 years now and it's still as sharp as the day I purchased it. Great knives for home use too! Never rusts, never needs sharpening and won't absorb odors. I would only recommend using them for kitchen prep as the blades are no where near as durable as steel versions. The knife guard is an added bonus.

Anyways, I just thought that I would pass that along if anyone is interested. The sale runs until May 26th.

Thanks for the tip. I've always admired mother-in-law's ceramic knife for kitchen use and wondered where to get them. Now I know. :big_thumb

Don't kid yourself: they caught me in one of those full-body scanners because I'd forgotten that I had a stash of US bills (couple hundred worth) hidden in an inside pocket of my pants. Those darn things catch everything!

Nice! I have been contemplating buying a ceramic knife. I have half a dozen expensive kitchen knives, Japanese and German, and sharpen them religiously every two weeks. Guess I need to try one for myself!

Nice little size. I saw some at the PnE home show, uhhh $120.00 for a pair, if I remember correctly. So that price is right!
One nice thing on one mentioned yet is the fact it will not "brown" certain veggies and fruits when cut with a steel knife.
Example an apple, cut one with a steel and then with ceramic, wait an hour, easy to tell which is which, something about the steel and the juice of the friut interacting, anyway.. my 2 cents :)

bought one a few years back while visiting Japan.
stay as shape as the day purchased for a whole year - not as shape as a good quality steel knife.
eventually, it got chipped and broke - it just too brittle.
if you cut something with color, some stain will remain on the blade.

pro:
light, stay shape, won't rust

con:
brittle, stain easy, not as shape as steel knife (and you can't shapen it)

Just purchased one at House of Knives today. Ishi by Kusso. 6" chef's knife for $49. Wow when they saw sharp they mean sharp! I just cut some tomatoes and the slices were 1mm thick. I can see why you want to exercise caution using these. My kitchen knives I sharpen every two weeks, but this ceramic knife is supposed to stay sharp for four years!

I wouldn't buy one of these knives without investing in a sheath or blade safe. That's how I’ve managed to keep our Kyocera ceramic knife sharp and intact for five years +.

http://www.hubert.com/pres56648/Blade-Safe-Knife-Protector.html

Ceramic knives are more brittle and you have to take care when cutting harder items like bones, etc.. I can't say how these Cdn Tire Chinese-made versions measure up to the top end ceramic blades but then again if they don’t last as long I won't be bemoaning the fact I didn't pay top dollar for them either. :big_thumb

Mine boneblack in color. It also came with a sheath and a case, and the understanding my wife dies not use it! Lol! I think the reason I sharpen the steel knives every two weeks is she is way to hard on them.

Very interesting video! Thanks for posting... They're not Kyocera but I'm pretty sure they are ceramic... I was in Costco earlier this week & saw a set of 6, various sizes c/w guards for around $18 only drawback was some of the awful colours (each knife was a different colour). At that price you wouldn't be too upset losing one at a campout.

Kermode, The $18.00 knife set @ Costco is NOT ceramic.

If you look very closely at the cutting edges, they are steel with some sort of coating over the rest of the blade. :cry:

They appear to be great wall ornaments, but I suspect would be very short lived as knives. :evil:

MartinZ said:
Here's how these knives are made......Worth watching just for the entertainment value...
Yes the base ignorance exhibited by the makers of that that piece of fluff is somewhat entertaining. :roll:

Back