• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Camp Stove

This maybe too old school but...
We picked up a pyramid shaped barbeque at 3 Vets in Vancouver BC that collapses down to a flat triangle shape thats 12" by 1/2". It looks like a hinged pyramid with the top 1/3rd removed when assembled. It can be used upside down to cook one pot in a downpour or flipped the right way up for easier fueling and heating two pots at once. The sides of the barbeque are angled to reflect all the fires heat right at the cooking pot. We also use it on it's side as a radiant heater under a tarp for people heating. We modyfied it by removing the un nessesary folding legs, widening the fuel entry port, adding extra air holes to allow it to be used upside down and using one of those cheap camping collapsing fire grills instead of what it came with.
We have just returned from 7 days of continuous rain paddeling at the northern tip of Vancouver Island and left our coleman feather 400's stowed away.. It is so thin that it cools down as soon as its emptied for instant packing away & being on your way again. We have only used it for one season and expected it to be just an experiment but found it to be one of the most pleasant, adaptable and light weight cooking set ups that we've experienced.

Hey Camshaft
Photos of collapsed stove, being opened, fully open, with bottom plate & grill, upside down for deluges and on it's side for directing heat
Ist time for submitting photos. Hope it makes sense!

Attachments

• kayaking 2011 074.jpg
    kayaking 2011 074.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 3,774
  • kayaking 2011 075.jpg
    kayaking 2011 075.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 3,757
  • kayaking 2011 077.jpg
    kayaking 2011 077.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 3,752
  • kayaking 2011 078.jpg
    kayaking 2011 078.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 3,755
  • kayaking 2011 079.jpg
    kayaking 2011 079.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 3,744
  • kayaking 2011 080.jpg
    kayaking 2011 080.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 3,746
thanks Mitchell for uploading those shots, I would have never guessed thats what it looked like.
Looks like a very handy little unit that folds up into basicly nothing.

cute cat
file.php

hrmitchell said:
Hey Camshaft
Photos of collapsed stove, being opened, fully open, with bottom plate & grill, upside down for deluges and on it's side for directing heat
Ist time for submitting photos. Hope it makes sense!

What is with all of the backpacking gear? These kayaks carry everything!

Here is THE answer, plain and simple:

• A battery powered rotisserie
    IMG_0642.JPG

• A Coleman Fold-and-go 2-burner stove (fits in oval hatches only)
    P1000175.jpg

• Any whisperlite or Jetboil for heating water quickly

NICe rotisserie !!! :p

I took a propane stove on a recent trip and was very surprised how slow it was compaired to white gas. As well I have always used a old white gas coleman stove then picked up a used propane coleman. Then I was shocked that hardly anyone recycles the small green propane bottles ? whats up with that ?

For short trips I'm sure the fold and go 2 burner stove works but for longer trips its a space eater. As well the propane bottles are bulky and heavy compaired to a white gas stove. I know that butane has more BTUs then propane but Wow 19% more BTU's then butane so 3837 BTU so Propane is 1200 BTU less then white gas wow

So why do they use butane at all? Because it gives off more heat. Butane releases 3,225 BTU's of heat compared to propane's 2,572 BTU's, and isobutane's 2,500 to 3,200 BTU's per cubic foot burned. Where white gas gives off about 19% more heat than even butane.

pbabler said:
What is with all of the backpacking gear? These kayaks carry everything!

Here is THE answer, plain and simple:

• A battery powered rotisserie
  • A Coleman Fold-and-go 2-burner stove (fits in oval hatches only)
  • Any whisperlite or Jetboil for heating water quickly

My dad was in the Air Force and we were stationed in France from 1958 - 1962. We spent every available moment camping around Europe and the only stoves over there were the propane/butane ones. EVERYONE recyled the cylinders, (and empty wine bottles!) even back then. I wish we could "get with the program" here...seems like we recycle everything BUT gas bottles.

In the vein of small wood stoves, I recently acquired a Littlebug Sr. stove and have been playing with it. So far, I'm pretty happy with it though I'm still learning it's capabilities and haven't totally committed to it yet as a primary cooking device.

On my last canoe trip the Littlebug stove boiled a 2 L pot of water faster than the Coleman 2-burner (425) camp stove did. I don't know about times, probably about 5-7 minutes from cool lake water to boiling. Actually, I was amazed how fast and hot this stove is. A large handful of dry willow twigs when paddling the local river, or a small bunch of jackpine twigs when canoe tripping up north have worked well.

The downside with this sort of stove is the need to feed it twigs fairly frequently so it's not like you can get the stove going with a pot on then go tend to other camp duties.

The stove is thin metal that like the folding unit above cools quickly and folds flat. The curve of the packed unit matches my food pail (for canoe camping) very well so it fits inside the pail taking almost no space. For kayaking it sits well against the hull or deck, though I've not kayak-tripped with it yet.

Cheers,
Bryan

I tried the link mbiraman and requested log in..
and after I did log in it gave me camshaft, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Some super secret wood stove.. ?

mbiraman said:
This has been happening for a little while now over at Hammock Forums. This fella has developed a light SS wood stove that is not a twig user but rather a longer stick feeder. Its received good reviews and a Titanium model is in the works. Check it out.
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/show ... hp?t=35516

Andy_Ferguson said:
mbiraman said:
Ah,,,my fault. The link is in a donating member section of the Hammock Forum. Here;s the website.
http://www.emberlit.com/

That looks strangely familiar.

The look of the stove in general is not new. There have been many stoves come out over the last few yrs , some pyramidal , some more cubish. Most of this activity has been in the eastern US and Europe and the Feed System is reminiscent of rocket stoves, but he is the first that i know of that has put the two ideas together and done some real testing for a quality product for backpackers. The SS model is a bit on the heavy side for some backpackers so he's got a T model in testing now. I'm personally not a fan of stoves that you have to take apart and put together but i do like the long stick feed system. For now i'm happy with my Bush Buddy but we''l see when the titanium model comes out.

The only reason i brought up the Emberlite wood stove is in response to Pawistik's feelings of having to feed a stove all the time with small bits of wood . The Emberlite does save having to spend time breaking wood up . Personally i don't mind doing that . Its all part of the experience but the idea of feeding long sticks through the front port is intriguing to me.

Back