• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Backband Modification

drahcir

Paddler
This may be of interest to a (very) few. It's an account of how I modified my kayak seat backband to provide better support/comfort for my compromised back.

Last summer I purchased a wondrous used kayak (North Shore Calypso) and found the stock backband inadequate for more than an hour of paddling - I need somewhat more back support due to an old injury. The stock backband is 3.5" tall. The kayak also came with a firm foam pad of taller dimensions for back comfort. The latter made a big difference but hindered getting into the kayak and made access to the space behind the seat especially awkward. But it at least provided a target for a better geometry.

What to do? Either purchase a new backband, make my own, or modify the stock version. I rejected the first option because a brand new backband would be something of a shot in the dark, maybe needing some modification to attach properly and perhaps not any more comfortable than what I already had. I also dismissed the second option - making my own from scratch was daunting - I am not handy. So I decided to modify/augment the stock backband to make it taller. I figured I could do it for less than $16.03 in materials by scrounging in my cellar/dungeon.

The new height would be 6", but attached so the old 3.5" backband was smack in the middle of the 6". The new 6" support was cut from some spare semi-flexible plastic I had lurking in the cellar - actually a piece cut from an old unused office floor mat. It was stiff enough to hold its shape, but flexible enough so that I could curve it. The plastic sheet was attached to the existing backband with a marine contact cement while curved appropriately to fit my back. Being overly cautious, I reinforced the attachment with 5 tee nuts and wee bolts and washers.

Next I cemented minicell foam (left over from a cockpit outfitting project) as padding. Finally I covered the padding with a fabric intended to wear well. This was the major cost, maybe $12 (purchased from Ken Rasmussen at kayakfit.com.

Here are some photos of the progression:

The 'black' part is the stock backband with attachment straps. It is already cemented and bolted to the 6" plastic piece.

This is the side with the minicell foam cemented in place, but no fabric cover yet.

This is the finished product, with fabric cover. The back and blue velcro straps are part of the original backband's adjustment system.

This is the project backband installed in the kayak, awaiting final adjustment by the paddler.

Fortunately it is winter here, so I can pretend that the resulting backband is incredibly comfortable allowing paddling sessions far in excess of the next limiting physical factor (my bladder endurance). Spring will tell.

Attachments

• IMG_1239.jpg
    IMG_1239.jpg
    337.7 KB · Views: 950
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 967
  • IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 949
  • IMG_1244.jpg
    IMG_1244.jpg
    298.8 KB · Views: 960
That is great news! There is nothing more frustrating than a nagging injury preventing someone from doing what they love to do. It would seem your ingenuity and resourcefulness has payed off!

Back