• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Tofino/Ukee paddling suggestions, tips?

reanne

Paddler
Hey all! :) I have recently moved to Tofino and I would love to hear a bit about the Tofino paddling scene. I have guidebooks and charts, but would love to hear a bit about your experiences. I am a novice-intermediate kayaker. I have done a bit of paddling around Ukee a couple of years ago. Thanks! :) (Also, anyone else on here live up this way?)

Welcome to the coast! :) I'm a Tofitian. Lots of great paddling in Tofino / Ukee.

Ukee: the classic harbour paddles... a paddle out to the George Fraser Islands to experience some swell and rock gardens. Head down to Toquart and paddle in the Stoppers or head over to the Broken Group.

Tuff City:
- the classic 'day trip' options
- The Island paddle through the maze of harbour islands
- Head over to Meares Island and discover the Big Tree Trail
- Paddle up Lemmans Inlet and check out 'Gods Pocket' and Adventure Cove

- the local Day Trip options
- Launch from Grice bay, check out Tsapee narrows (class 2 current), or Tofino Inlet
- Cross over to Medallion Beach on Vargas for an afternoon in the sand (surf landing, and some decent current can be had)

- Multi-day options
- circumnavigate Meares Island
- Head out to Vargas / Flores, etc etc etc!!!

Remember Tofino harbour, although protected, can get hit by pretty strong winds and currents. There are several areas with standing waves and strong eddy lines (all the day trip companies time trips to corrospond with slack tide!!!!). The Winds, both NW and SE can produce strong wind effect (the harbour North of 'Dead Man Islets' is bad in a NW. Browning Pass is really bad in strong winds from NW or SE, especially when it is wind against tide). Tofino lost a paddler (canoe) in Tofino harbour last month... blessed be

If you head outside of the harbours, remember you are headed into Open Ocean swell. It can go from flat calm to ocean rollers, to chaotic seas in very short order.

All the best

reanne said:
Hey all! :) I have recently moved to Tofino
I hate you. :wink:

(Yes, I'm jealous...)
reanne said:
and I would love to hear a bit about the Tofino paddling scene. I have guidebooks and charts, but would love to hear a bit about your experiences. I am a novice-intermediate kayaker. I have done a bit of paddling around Ukee a couple of years ago. Thanks! :)
I've only paddled there once, to Meares Island and hiked (walked) the Big Tree Trail. Easy for an intermediate, and reasonable for a beginner. My wife was with me, and she is still a beginner paddler; she did great.

reanne said:
(Also, anyone else on here live up this way?)
I was just there last weekend (Friday to Monday)! If you haven't been yet, treat yourself to a fish taco at Tacofino!!!

VanIslePaddler said:
I'm a Tofitian.
I hate you too. :wink:

VanIslePaddler said:
lol :) 11+ years now!
You can make it up to me by taking me out for a paddle the next time I'm in town! :mrgreen:

I've been going to Tofino once or twice a year for about 14 years now. I LOVE the area, and wish I had bought some land when I first started going! Can't afford it now. :cry: I'm hoping in the coming years to rent a place for a month or two over a summer, to at least pretend to be Tofitian. If you know anyone who does long-term seasonal (and two-small dog pet friendly) rentals - preferably on or very close to the water (either side) - let me know! :D

Amphibious trip:

Paddle from Tofino to Head of Bedwell Sound. Its about a full day of paddling . Once in Bedwell Sound there is no place to get out till you get to the head of the Sound. From there hike the Bedwell River Trail into Strathcona Park to Bedwell Lake. Allow two or three days each way hiking. Mariner Mountain can be accessed this way too.

The land at the head of Bedwell Sound on the true right of the river is private property belonging to Clayoquot Wilderness Resort. You can leave your kayak on the beach at the mouth of the Bedwell River. CWR allows hikers to use the existing road to cross their property. CWR is an exclusive resort and offers no services to travellers.

The old mining road from CWR property to Strathcona Park boundary is designated Forest Service Recreation Corridor. The Bedwell river is crossed by Gail McGee bridge at which point the road deteriorates to trail. The Park boundary is about 7km from the tide water.

The official trail in Strathcona Park is currently closed because the (intact) living bridge (an old mining/logging bridge) is condemned. A route has been cleared except for about 5km (which is currently flagged) along the true left bank making the bridge crossing and subsequent ford near Ashwood Creek unnecessary.

VanIslePaddler said:
Welcome to the coast! :) I'm a Tofitian. Lots of great paddling in Tofino / Ukee.

All the best

Thank you for the welcome and the suggestions! :)

Thank you as well! And yes, I loooove Tacofino; as well I love Wildside Grill! I treated myself to my favourite, some gumbo, the day after I got back here last week. Now no more delicious eating out until I start working haha!

Jurfie said:
reanne said:
Hey all! :) I have recently moved to Tofino
I hate you. :wink:

(Yes, I'm jealous...)
reanne said:
and I would love to hear a bit about the Tofino paddling scene. I have guidebooks and charts, but would love to hear a bit about your experiences. I am a novice-intermediate kayaker. I have done a bit of paddling around Ukee a couple of years ago. Thanks! :)
I've only paddled there once, to Meares Island and hiked (walked) the Big Tree Trail. Easy for an intermediate, and reasonable for a beginner. My wife was with me, and she is still a beginner paddler; she did great.

reanne said:
(Also, anyone else on here live up this way?)
I was just there last weekend (Friday to Monday)! If you haven't been yet, treat yourself to a fish taco at Tacofino!!!

VanIslePaddler said:
I'm a Tofitian.
I hate you too. :wink:

This sounds awesome! I hadn't thought of accessing Strathcona from this side!

ken_vandeburgt said:
Amphibious trip:

Paddle from Tofino to Head of Bedwell Sound. Its about a full day of paddling . Once in Bedwell Sound there is no place to get out till you get to the head of the Sound. From there hike the Bedwell River Trail into Strathcona Park to Bedwell Lake. Allow two or three days each way hiking. Mariner Mountain can be accessed this way too.

The land at the head of Bedwell Sound on the true right of the river is private property belonging to Clayoquot Wilderness Resort. You can leave your kayak on the beach at the mouth of the Bedwell River. CWR allows hikers to use the existing road to cross their property. CWR is an exclusive resort and offers no services to travellers.

The old mining road from CWR property to Strathcona Park boundary is designated Forest Service Recreation Corridor. The Bedwell river is crossed by Gail McGee bridge at which point the road deteriorates to trail. The Park boundary is about 7km from the tide water.

The official trail in Strathcona Park is currently closed because the (intact) living bridge (an old mining/logging bridge) is condemned. A route has been cleared except for about 5km (which is currently flagged) along the true left bank making the bridge crossing and subsequent ford near Ashwood Creek unnecessary.

Back