• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Deal found on Exped downmat

AARGHHH! Just got a Downmat 7 from MEC two months ago for the same price. :evil: That's a great deal. I bet they have some fancy new version coming out soon.

Willi, thanks. It's too late for me as well, but I started to enjoy good sleep while camping so much sooner.

okay, is this really better than a standard thermarest....I am hesitant to purchase anything without people with real experience with a product...thanks folks....doubting Thomas who is keen sleep better

Tatlow said:
okay, is this really better than a standard thermarest....I am hesitant to purchase anything without people with real experience with a product...thanks folks....doubting Thomas who is keen sleep better

It's warmer and more comfortable. not much bigger in the pack. Not sure about the weight.

I can compare it to MEC Kelvin 5.0 (replaced recently by Reactor 5.0). Exped Downmat 9 wins by a large margin. Very warm and comfortable, now it is a pleasure for me to go camping, knowing that I'll have a good night's sleep.

I understand sceptical hesitations: for many $$ is the bottom line. But with this sale price it is a no brainer case.

In the group of paddlers I hang around with (Wednesday group, WCPs) I clearly see over the years evolutionary shift in the equipment: from wet suits to light and comfy Kokataks, from regular paddles to silky smooth Werner carbon bent shaft. Now more and more paddlers are using Exped Downmats.

Exped (especially their extra large model) is simply a very good piece of camping equipment.

I got an Exped 9 for Mother's Day last year and I love it. Comfortable, warm, packs small, lightweight. I'd highly recommend one if you can afford it.

i was always hesitant to buy one if these mats, was using thermarests in various sizes for years.

however, on one of the latest winter camps, my hiking buddy Christoph has brought his Downmat 9 regular size, i was very impressed about how well the mat is build and the "build in" pump seems like a masterpiece of engineering.

GOPR0923.jpg

thermarest with groundsheet left, Downmat 9 + evazote doublemat (another great thing by Exped) to the right

the last straw for buying the mat was a conference via skype with GregN and i was convinced that i sould go for the 9 LW (long + wide)

the only thing that i regret was getting the above link too late, i could have saved another 40 $

servus

:)

Willi

Thanks all....ordered 2, one of each size. Looking forward to a good night's sleep...now if I can only teach her not to snore! :lol:

That's a great deal. The DAMs are (at least to me) so much warmer and more comfortable than any other sleeping pad I've tried. Mine spring a leak after many years and it was replaced for free!
I didnt buy the DAM since I have a DAM 9 and my wife has a DAM 7, but I wound up spending $120 on other stuff on sale at camp saver.

Has anyone tried one of these (and what size?) in an Explorer Asym Hennessy Hammock? Long time ago, I tried my small Thermarest and it just popped out from underneath you too easily - too short and too narrow to stay in place. But I'm wondering if the downmat might fit and be useable INSTEAD of the underpad and undercover system. The trick would also be getting in through the original bottom of the hammock - would be much easier in the new zip-side ones.
So, has anyone tried this?
Thx!
Kathy

I don't have an Exped Downmat but I do use a Big Agnes air core in my Hennessy Hammock. Works very well, especially if inflated to about half normal.

Kasey said:
Has anyone tried one of these (and what size?) in an Explorer Asym Hennessy Hammock?

OH YES! I have slept in my hammock with the downmat 7M for over 60 nights now. What a dream sleep! Warm and cozy. I sleep on my side and flail about in the hammock and still seem to wake up on the mat (well except for that one time I woke up with the screen underneath me and looking at the ground :wink: ). I like this size of mat because it is faster to inflate and just a bit smaller (which is good for the backpack).

The down mat is WAY warmer in the hammock or tent too. WAY WARMER. I love the heat and hate sleeping cold.

This company provides EXCELLENT EXCELLENT customer service too. My really old mat (with the old pokey valves) started leaking feathers while on tour. I emailed a pic of the problem to the manufacturer. By the time I was back from the trip my mat had been delivered! This was great because I was heading out on tour right away again.

SheilaP said:
(well except for that one time I woke up with the screen underneath me and looking at the ground :wink: )
Ahahaha! Good thing you don't sleep in an open hammock like kaydubbya!

Sheila, do you think that the Exped mat could be used instead of the underpad/undercover system and still be warmer? I find the undercover inpinges on the side lines of the hammock making the interior narrower. The downmat rolls up to about the same size as the undercover/underpad system...so my gear pile wouldn't be any larger...
Kathy

Kasey said:
Sheila, do you think that the Exped mat could be used instead of the underpad/undercover system and still be warmer?

I have never used an underpad system and don't even own one :lol: so I imagine you could. I was thinking last night that if they made the size 7 as wide as the long wide one it would be the PERFECT mat. Sometimes I do get chilly around the sides, but I usually just wear warmer PJ's. :big_thumb OOO A double wide may would wrap up the sides. There ya go, let's call Exped today.

I got the hugemungous fly for this hammock. When it is cold I pin that thing to the ground and keep it close to the sides. This increased warmth exponentially. I think the wind cools the bed area down the most and if you can cut that it helps. I don't use the standard fly at all anymore: it was useless in rain, and stupid in wind. The big one just gives more area for living too. If the weather isn't too bad, but I need a fly, I set it up with one side up high and parallel to the ground so I can still see out and feel free. Good thing someone gave you a fancy sil-tarp. :hug

Well, I guess I'm finally joining the Exped camp, or at least my wife will be (it's her birthday present, though it will be arriving late because I dawdled too long on the decision). I just ordered one from Campsaver.com. For us canucks, if you order over $200 you get free shipping via regular mail. You get another 10% off of some regular priced items (sale items, like the exped downmat, are excluded) if you also sign up for the newsletter - that saved me another $5 on my order.

I hope my wife likes it, and doesn't shoot me for spending so much on a sleeping pad. I also hope she lets me borrow it once in a while.

Cheers,
Bryan

Kasey said:
Has anyone tried one of these (and what size?) in an Explorer Asym Hennessy Hammock? Long time ago, I tried my small Thermarest and it just popped out from underneath you too easily - too short and too narrow to stay in place. But I'm wondering if the downmat might fit and be useable INSTEAD of the underpad and undercover system. The trick would also be getting in through the original bottom of the hammock - would be much easier in the new zip-side ones.
So, has anyone tried this?
Thx!
Kathy

Kasey; If you like your HH and go to a DAM you could upgrade your zipper system through the folks 2QZQ.
http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/page18.html

bill

Back