• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Haida Gwaii

RobP

Paddler
Received my charts for the south east end from Sand Spit to the Cape. I then took my copy of Small Boat Camping Haida Gwaii, and plotted all the good camp sites, and villages on it. I can not believe the number of entries I made. It would take months to visit them all. I will have to start with 2 weeks this summer and go from there.

Rob P

that's a heck of a book. Neil Frazer sure has covered a lot - I think about 3-500 sites. He uses a fairly basic 17' alum boat w/ 50 hp motor and heads out from somewhere near Campbell River all loaded up for a period of weeks.
Apparently he has also been spending a bunch of time on the mid to north coast as well.

I've been working Haida Gwaii for the past two years; there sure is no shortage of small beaches on those islands. Since the deer have eaten most of the brush there's plenty of room to camp in the trees.

Attachments

• beach.JPG
    beach.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 942
I was considering going for a month, but don't want to go that long solo, nice to have company

Dream trip. I've wanted to visit Haida Gwaii for YEARS...one day...

In the meantime, post pictures so I can live vicariously through you!!! :big_thumb

Did someone say pictures? :)

Attachments

• rennell.JPG
    rennell.JPG
    309.2 KB · Views: 934
  • west2HG.JPG
    west2HG.JPG
    328.3 KB · Views: 922
  • west3HG.JPG
    west3HG.JPG
    342 KB · Views: 930
  • westcoastHG.JPG
    westcoastHG.JPG
    326.4 KB · Views: 921
Well planned out a 2 week trip, get a ride to Rosé harbour with Morseby Explorers, hit Ninstints as day trip then work way back north. 10 days of travelling will get me to Tanu, with shortest day being just over 11 km and longest being 26 km. that leaves me 4 days for weather or chilling at some special place. Pick up by Moresby Explorers on the 14th day.

Could cover more ground, see more with longer days, some are pretty short, but relaxing holiday is goal, and would like to spend some time fishing.

I have a flexi-fold crab trap I am thinking of taking, anyone know how the crabbing is on the east side?

RobP said:
Well planned out a 2 week trip, get a ride to Rosé harbour with Morseby Explorers, hit Ninstints as day trip then work way back north. 10 days of travelling will get me to Tanu, with shortest day being just over 11 km and longest being 26 km. that leaves me 4 days for weather or chilling at some special place. Pick up by Moresby Explorers on the 14th day.

Could cover more ground, see more with longer days, some are pretty short, but relaxing holiday is goal, and would like to spend some time fishing.

I have a flexi-fold crab trap I am thinking of taking, anyone know how the crabbing is on the east side?
Rob, I did a trip very much like that, with six others (all in monster decked canoes) in 1998. I believe we consumed 15 days and did not travel 2-3 day, due to weather and/or lethargy. One of our days was about 25-27 n miles, and was pretty tough (I had all the heavy comestibles: cabbages, fruit, etc). You should expect to see quite a few other paddlers. And, given the 14-15 seasons of fishing along that route since 1998, you might not do so well as wee did. We Ate well on bottom fish almost every night.

The crab ring was a bust -- a sun star took over the trap and no crabs showed. I suspect open water and slots would be better than the back bay we chose.

We went outside Louise, to make camp at vertical point, and to see Koona (sp?). Mather Creek is a cool place, also -- search for the old graveyard which stands where the chirch was. Signs of oldtime logging methods in there, also.

It is still a lovely place.

Moresby is a good outfitter, although we used a different one (now no longer operating). The major sound just north of Ninstints is worth exploring if you guys are good in heavy seas and are adept at surf launches (usually smaller waves, but somtimes 4 ft or higher).

Andy_Ferguson said:
My favourite photo from last summer:

Wow! Thats Awesome! Where were you?

Looks like you are standing in a 'resting' spot... the ground is nicely compact and compressed... perfect to curl up in for a nap... obviously the bear is regular right after waking up!

Plus the tree behind you shows signs of being a scratching post... they will stand and rub their backs against trees...

53°32'11.91"N 132°43'57.62"W for that picture. Give or take a few meters as I converted from UTM.

Lots of fry in the creek and the area was obviously well used by the local bear population.

This spot was across the creek and maybe 50 meters up stream:

Attachments

• bear2.JPG
    bear2.JPG
    527.9 KB · Views: 750
Back