• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Pyramid Style Tents

Denis Dwyer

Paddler
Pyramid Style Tents

I have received numerous requests for information from WCP forum readers on the pyramid style tent that I use on my kayaking trips. In an effort to answer some of these questions I submit this post.

The tent that I use was made by Dana Designs and is no longer available. I list several sources of pyramid style tents on the “links” page of my web site. A link to my site is provided at the end of this post.

Positive points:

It is quick and easy to set up and take down. After securing the four corners with stakes or rocks the center pole can be put in position. Four more stake-out points finish the set-up.

The kayak provides 4 of the 9 stake-out points. It is super easy to connect the front two corners to the bow and stern handles of the kayak. The two guy lines for the door connect to eyelets near the cockpit.

It provides the ability to see what is going on outside of the tent in every direction. I find this to be a big advantage when camping in bear country. If I hear a noise outside, it is easy to have a look in any direction.

It is compact and lightweight. The whole tent with guy lines attached gets stuffed into a small nylon bag about the size of a football.

It does not require a completely flat area for set-up. Many times I set the tent up on sloping gravel and just level a small spot to sleep on.

Cooking can be done inside the tent. Since there is no floor and lots of ventilation, cooking on rainy days is not a problem.

Entry and exit can be accomplished without opening the door. I often enter and exit the tent by just slipping under any point that is convenient.

The single center pole is nearly unbreakable. The four piece pole all fits into the largest section.

The design provides good rain and wind resistance. It is naturally stable and sheds wind and rain easily.

Rocks can be used instead of tent stakes. I use 12 foot (3.66 meter) long pieces of parachute cord tied into loops for guy lines. These make attaching to rocks with a girth hitch easy.

Pyramid tents work much better than tarps in almost every situation. Tarps are harder to set up and do little to shelter you from wind - blown rain.

Negative points:

There is no floor or mosquito netting. It is necessary to use a ground cloth to keep your gear off of the bare ground. You will need to use a mosquito head net at some locations.

Since there is no mosquito netting, it is necessary to use a bivy-sack to keep bugs from biting you while sleeping.

Here are some photos of my tent in use.

DSC01267.JPG

DSC01288.JPG

DSC01303.JPG

DSC01316.JPG

DSC01328.JPG

I'll second the use of pyramid tents. The other one I've seen is the Black Diamond Megamid (I think they have a smaller version too). Quite versatile, and nice to only have the single pole (or log, or paddle if you're handy / in a pinch). It can be pole-less if you rig a line between 2 trees, and tie the top to it; tons of floor space in that setup. I ended up making one of my own out of silnylon with a separate bathtub floor and bug netting inner. Still packs up to maybe a football and a half. Black diamond I think offers a bug netting and floor for their version as well (but quite expensive IMHO).

I like the relative ease of setup, and they do certainly pack very small. They are also nice in that it is pretty easy to set up dry; unlike most tents where you need to put up the inside, the put the fly on; the pyramid and bug nets they can come with you can set up the fly first, then put the inside up out of the rain (and reverse when you take them down). Only downside is that it can get tricky sometimes finding tie out points, since at least the 4 corners are an absolute necessity for setup (8 is nicer, and if very windy, sometime you need the extra halfway up for 12 or 16). Mostly just requires some ingenuity.

Venting can be a bit tough - they breathe alot around the bottom, but it can be a bit tricker to get venting at the top. They usually come with a bit of a cover over the zipper opening, but it can still be tricky because if it's raining hard, then the opening is right in the middle of the tent...

If you're not using some kind of mosquito netting or bivy sack, you can either get bugs, or if you're less likely, other kinds of creepy crawlies such as mice joining you at night. Unpleasant.

Denis's favored style of tenting is really bivvying under a sturdy open tarp with a pyramid shape. This is a very weather tight, lightweight way to go, in lieu of backpacker style tents with integral inner breathable tent and close fitting rain fly. These are well adapted to coastal conditions ... except when the bugs are really bad. What you chose for a ground sheet determines how much moisture might wick up from below. For the weight, I bet it is hard to beat his setups. :big_thumb

And, ventilation is very good.

I thought I'd update this old thread with my own recent experience with a pyramid tent. I had an old Mountain Hardware Kiva donated to my school club that I tried out with kids on snowshoe outings. We used it as a meal tent and a warming shelter, for both of which purposes it served well.

IMG_20170110_171646.jpg

Unfortunately, this older tent is a bit too heavy and bulky, so I opted to buy one of Oware's 10'x10' silnylon tents, which packs impressively small and light. I have tested this tent out on several paddling trips, both solo and with kids. Again, it serves as an excellent meal and warm up shelter for up to 7 people, depending on how high off the ground you pitch it. For solo use, it becomes a portable house. I can actually pitch my MSR Hubba inside the tarp, and have lots of room for sitting and storing gear. I've had it out in high winds and major rain and it held up well.

IMG_20170629_091058.jpg

Pitching on a beach is easy with logs. In the photo below, I've pitched it on a gravel bank using large stakes and rocks:

IMG_20170822_191524.jpg

Finally, the 10'x10' model fits perfectly on the typical BC Parks tent pad found in some marine sites:

IMG_20170515_074946.jpg

Cheers,
Andrew

Back