• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Finally finished my Pygmy double

Rick_M

Paddler
After a on and off building schedule I finished our double with the modified rear coamings.

It paddles, and looks GREAT. In applying the LP, I found that with the temp at or below 65F at 90% humidity allowed the entire surface to stay wet and flow out really well. The boat only took a light sanding and polishing to get it to look good.

I added some foam under the thermarest seat and we both like them.

Attached is some eye candy.

I want to THANK EVERYONE who gave me suggestions and guidance in completing this kayak. It came out great with only a few minor blemishes. It is not a china cabinet, but is is close. Now I want to sell my fiberglass Current Design Solstice GT and build a wood single.

Thanks
Rick Seattle WA

Attachments

• 20130807_080348.jpg
    20130807_080348.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 1,514
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 1,513
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    286 KB · Views: 1,534
Nice job, Rick!

If I were to build another Pygmy Double, I'd do the same -- the stock position is way too high at the back -- your recessed version looks much more comfortable.

Those recessed coamings are killer. That should be a Pygmy option.

You nailed the conditions for the LP. Hard to convince people to bring the humidity that high. I had to spread a gallon of water over the concrete slab in my workspace, sweep it around to spread it out, and then come back in 15 minutes. Concrete will absorb some water and release it slowly, which works better than a wooden shop floor. Living room carpet would work well also, except for spousal rejection issues and landlorditis problems . :D

Awesome job Rick and the recessed coaming looks very cool. Nice job.

Happy Paddling

Looks great! Nice job on the coaming recess.
I also like the dark sheer strip and the not-looking-like-an-inch-thick-layer-of-plastic varnish job!
Very tasteful!
:big_thumb

Back