• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

What is your Favorite Collapsible Crab Trap?

canadaeh

We are planning a number of multiday paddling trips on Vancouver Island this year and I would love to add crab to menu. So I am curious if anyone can offer insight into what kind of collapsible Crab Trap they use and the pros and cons for Canoeing or Kayaking excursions.

I would like to purchase it online or locally on South Vancouver Island.

Thanks

Danielson and Jolly Good

I use the Danielsen 24" square folding trap for dungenous and red rock crabs, but it wouldn't be that good for an expedition, as it has to be strapped on your deck. It isn't too bad when flattened down, but can be a little unwieldy.

I have seen one called Jolly Good Crab Traps at Ecomarine in Vancouver (they don't seem to be available here in the States) and they looked quite good. I just tried to find the URL and it seems to be gone - not sure if the company is also gone.

Here is another thread on crabbing: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4066

If you use any kind of crab trap made with netting do not use fish guts or anything that might attract seals. They will steal your bait and ruin your trap. Chicken parts don't seem to attract seals.

Back