• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Parks Canada to install WiFi in wilderness areas

Wonder if the Wilderness Act in the US would allow that. Chain saws and other mechanical devices are not allowed ... mind, I can see both sides of this. And, VHF radios, SPOT devices, etc., are OK in wilderness areas, for safety reasons. Maybe a virtual chain saw? :lol:

Yaketyak said:
Precisely what i try to escape when out and about.

From paddlinghq.com:

For those who think your camping/wilderness experience will be ruined, we are not talking wifi in backcountry but rather wifi at the visitors centre. Wifi doesn't penetrate trees and bushes, heck it can barely get to the second story of my house.

Meh, I'm very much over the "don't take technology camping!" mindset. I think it's a positive thing to be putting wifi into the parks. I like being able to keep in touch with the wife while I'm out and about. Work calls I just won't answer. On a typical kayaking trip I'm bringing a few computers; my iphone, my watch has a computer, my gps has a computer, where does it end?

Yaketyak said:
Precisely what i try to escape when out and about.

+1
Don't worry...ParksCanada can't replace the campsite signage or the missing bolts on the biffy doors in the Broken Group (or maintain the solar panels for the composting toilets either, I bet), so no worries about installation of WiFi WAN boosters everywhere..... :)

I think it's a great idea, especially for those who may be visiting from another country and wish to contact home and save on their phone bill.

James

JohnAbercrombie said:
+1
Don't worry...ParksCanada can't replace the campsite signage or the missing bolts on the biffy doors in the Broken Group (or maintain the solar panels for the composting toilets either, I bet), so no worries about installation of WiFi WAN boosters everywhere..... :)

Perhaps, but possibly because they were too busy updating their Facebook status or keeping up with tweets. Therefore, WiFi could very well be important enough to follow through with. :wink: (a joke based on today's society rather than on ParksCanada specifically)

WiFi in the wild? For me that's a "no thank you" but I'd bet it's coming.

Canada cannot afford park upkeep? How is this ?

What's needed are virtual snowmobiles, virtual Fishing Guides, virtual off road vehicles over 800 pounds.

But wifi ! Cosmic. Need more freeze dried food ? bags of freezepack for the sprain ? advanced and unbiased weather reports ? News for current changes at the Seymour Narrows ? did the bears really carry off the Humbert Family ?

California has stations at the Rangers HQ. Good enough and if Cal can surely Canada can. Right ? eh?

I'm waiting for Samsung's Mil Spec hardened tablet for dragging across the CDT bicycle camping. There's no reason turning it off will not again expose your soul to the great outdoors experience. You are there.

datakoll said:
I'm waiting for Samsung's Mil Spec hardened tablet for dragging across the CDT bicycle camping. There's no reason turning it off will not again expose your soul to the great outdoors experience. You are there.

One approach does not fit all. One's soul is a very personal thing.

Sort of moot, many areas. Becky has a 5 GB/month Verizon Hot Spot that works as a WiFi node anyplace she has service, USD30 per month. Range 10 meters plus, maybe more. Doubt Parks intends to install anything like that at campsites in the Gulf Islands. But, WiFi at visitor centers? Sure. Hardly a wilderness environment.

At the end, does not affect me. I would not use it if I could. I have a VHF for emergencies and weather. That's all I need.

Astoriadave said:
Doubt Parks intends to install anything like that at campsites in the Gulf Islands. But, WiFi at visitor centers? Sure. Hardly a wilderness environment.
Exactly.
150 spots across Canada, over the next 3 years is going to be a tiny footprint; limited to major parks, close to thoroughfares (roads/highways). I hazard a guess that it will not be cost effective to place WiFi in places where most of us on here typically explore.

Looks like it's only in visitor centres and campgrounds -- not in wilderness areas (which I thought would be insanely expensive).

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/parks-cana ... -1.1798605

Perhaps the wifi move is part of a campaign strategy to get city folks into the outdoors?

Personally, I'd rather that Parks Canada look after maintenance of outhouses and other park facilities before spending money on something that's really not essential.

Here is the cookie cutter answer I got a few weeks ago to my concerned email:
Hello/Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns around WiFi in national parks and national historic sites.

As you have seen in the media recently, Parks Canada has decided to offer WiFi internet access at key locations within select national parks and national historic sites in response to visitor demand. This demand is generally based on the needs for on-the-go trip planning, for near real-time experience sharing (Social Media) as well as to stay in touch with friends, family and even work.

During 2014 – 2015, Parks Canada estimates that a total of 25 to 50 hotspots could be installed in 15 to 20 national parks or national historic sites across Canada. The WiFi hotspots will normally be located in places such as Visitor Centres or serviced campground loops, and where visitors already congregate for other services. The WiFi hotspots will not be installed in wilderness areas nor will they cover extensive areas. A typical hotspot only covers a few hundred square meters.

Parks Canada is currently at the exploratory phase of pre-qualifying national WiFi suppliers. Once the pre-qualified list of suppliers is established, Parks Canada will request bids for offering WiFi internet services at specific locations. For each potential location, Parks Canada will make the final decision based on visitor needs as well as costs involved.

This service will typically be included in the Park Entry Fee. It will be deployed gradually, in a measured way to ensure that the needs of those wanting to remain connected are met, while the experience of those wanting quietness and solitude through “disconnection” remain unimpaired.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback. Knowing your opinion matters to us as it helps us refine our services and make better decisions.
With regards,

Avec mes salutations distinguées,

Marc-André
Service national d'information | National Information Service
Direction de l'expérience du visiteur | Visitor Experience Branch
Parcs Canada | Parks Canada
information@pc.gc.ca
Renseignements généraux | General Inquiries 888-773-8888
Renseignements généraux (international) | General Inquiries (international) 613-860-1251
Téléimprimeur | Teletypewriter 866-787-6221
http://parcscanada.gc.ca | http://parkscanada.gc.ca
Gouvernement du Canada | Government of Canada

vivez l'expérience : PUREMENT GÉNIAL / experience PROPER AWESOME

Back