• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Child's seat in rear cargo area.

Hi all, seeking some advice as to what's available to use for a child's seat in the rear of my Delta 17.
After an hour skirting back and forth along the shore my daughter asked to go home, up to that point she was happily splashing her hands and hat. As we beached a little voice said " ah dad this would be better if I had a comfy seat instead of just sitting on the floor"
Time for a comfy seat. I'm not overly handy at carving or building so the option is work Over time and buy a seat or have one built. Any opinions and options are appreciated.

What about a crazy creek style chair? http://www.crazycreek.com/original-chair/
1020_146__54108.1405327712.1280.1280.jpg

Lots of knock-offs out there.
Bryan

Newfie,

An open rear hatch without flotation bags in it can make a Cleopatra's needle out of your boat in a capsize. Certainly, you would only take the little one on the calmest of waters.

Recovery is definitely a two boat proposition. Here is a description of recovery, and some photos of what your boat will do if it swamps with no flotation in the rear.

http://www.useakayak.org/recoveries_res ... edle2.html

Astoriadave said:
Newfie,

An open rear hatch without flotation bags in it can make a Cleopatra's needle out of your boat in a capsize. Certainly, you would only take the little one on the calmest of waters.

Recovery is definitely a two boat proposition. Here is a description of recovery, and some photos of what your boat will do if it swamps with no flotation in the rear.

http://www.useakayak.org/recoveries_res ... edle2.html

I was thinking the same thing.

Newfie, You best get yourself a floatation bag for your rear hatch if you're going to continue to do this. I'm not sure how your old your daughter is, but if I were you I'd be thinking seriously about how you would reach her if something goes wrong or she manages to get out of the boat and into the water. Trying to rescue a toddler with a wide open hatch and no flotation will present a great deal of danger to both of you.

When our family only had three kayaks I used to take my son in the front hatch of my Delta 18.5 exp. He was small for his age so he fit well. I explained wet exits from the hatch and why he was not allowed to slide down inside. I stuffed a foam horse collar life jacket in there for him to sit on and his life jacket was his back rest. We only skirted the shore lines but he was the first to spot the baby moose. We did have to have a discussion about him paddling though after he stuck his paddle in and held it there, felt like we were going over for a second.

I should have explained better as the safety concerns are very valid. We launched in flat calm water and stayed close enough to shore that I could brace on the bottom very easily. Biggest problem was not hitting my paddle. Also stayed in a area where there was swimming and campsites. Definitely need flotation if we go away from shore at all. Thanks for the reminder.

Back