• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

New Tent Suggestions Please

GordB

Paddler
Hi All.

I'm in need of a new tent. The one I have now is a 4 season version, or more appropriately from my point of view a winter tent. The ventilation is not enough to stop it becoming a sauna in warmer weather.

What are you people using for the summer months that would address this problem and yet still be suitable for April and October weather.

I'll switch back to the heavy duty version for Nov-Mar camping.

I'd like the new one to be a two person tent and as small as possible.

Thanks

Yes I did have a look at the Hammock a few years back. More for curiosity than anything else.
I did discount it at that time as a primary unit simply because there may not be suitable trees handy.
I still think about it once in a while but more as a secondary rather than a primary form of shelter.
I am often in Newfoundland and it can be rather windswept with nothing but tundra for miles. It wouldn't work in that situation.
I have no doubt that I will eventually get one, but at this time a tent is more appropriate to my needs.

Thanks for reminding me about them. I'll have to go have another look.

I'm sort of in the same boat - I plan on taking a good look at some smaller, 1- or 2-person tents at MEC the next time I'm on the mainland. Right now I'm using an MEC NorthWind, which is also a 4-season tent. It fares well in the winter and is quite warm; I've even had it out when it snowed overnight and it did quite well. In the summer it has adequate ventilation to stop me from getting too hot, but it is definitely a bit on the bulky side - much more than I need in the summer months. It takes up a lot of room in the kayak (especially when I have to take the fly, just in case) that could be used for other gear. I prefer to have a larger tent in the winter so I can keep all my gear in the dry tent, but in the summer I'd rather be able to do longer trips by taking a smaller tent.

I plan on looking at the Hummingbird series, and some of the MSR tents... but I'm also open to suggestions!

I've also been looking for a new tent to replace my 15 year old Sierra Designs Comet (3 person tent). My Comet has served me very well on countless nights and through some very severe weather, and is still a good functioning tent that will probably last for a couple more years but is beginning to show signs of wear. I also want something with a smaller footprint so I've decided on a 2 person tent.

A few features are important to me -- two doors is a must, I hate crawling over someone to get in and out of the tent. It must have a good amount of vestible area for storing gear. I tend to sleep a bit warm so I like a tent with good ventilation. I also want something that is a bit roomy -- the thought of having just enough room to put a sleeping pad doesn't appeal to me.

I've narrowed my search to 3 tents.

The MSR Hubba Hubba looks like a very nice tent -- the only downside I can see to it is that it's virtually all mesh, which would be great in the summer months but may be a bit on the cool side in the colder spring and fall months when temps are down. The price is about $380.00.

tent-hubba-hubba.jpg

---

The Sierra Designs Electron and with it's near vertical walls is very roomy. I'm familiar with the excellent quality of Sierra Design products and wouldn't hesitate to purchase another of their tents. Price is in the $400.00 range.

tent-electron.jpg

---

The Mountain Hardwear Hammerhead 2 has two doors, lots of mesh and has the added bonus of solid panels that zip over the mesh in colder weather. It also has fairly large vestible storage on both doors. It's a little bit heavier than other 2 person tents but since I'm not packing it on my back, weight is not so important. Price is also in the $400.00 range.

tent-hammerhead2.jpg

---

The MH Hammerhead 2 is very high on my list and will probably be the one that I purchase.

If you're looking for something that is not quite as expensive, MEC offers some pretty reasonably priced 3 season tents with the Tarn 2 (only 1 door), the hummingbird (also 1 door), and the Wanderer 2 -- these tents are in the $200.00 range.

I really like gear. :D

I have an old mec Quail tent that I bought when I used to do a lot of touring on my bicycle. It served me well when I went from Vancouver to Denver a few years back (even camped in the snow one night). It's small and light and very quick to put up. I believe it's been replaced by the hummingbird 2 tent.

Caution though; when I say small. I mean small. I'm about 5 foot 6 and there's only room for me. Or me and someone I really, really like. There's enough room in the vestibule to store a dry bag or 2.

Force 10 Assault is a great tent http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Force_Ten_Assault.html (yes i know it says Vango but force 10 were bought up by Vango and the tents are very well made). It is perhaps a little hot in the summer in direct sunlight (but then most tents are) but it is constructed to stand up to force 10 winds, is pretty lightweight, big 2 person, breaks down easily into a kayak and is mosquito proof and totally waterproof (so much so that there is a warning not to block the vents in winter!!!) and surprisingly it is somewhat cheaper than similiar Mountain Hardware or North Face tents. We spent ages looking for it and it is one of our best bits of kit - but you have to love orange :)

link doesn't seem to want to work so here's a pic and specs

fassault.jpg

fassaultfloor.jpg

Specification
Performance rating - 4/5 season
Capacity - 2 person
Pitching style - Inner tent first, self standing
Total weight - 3.95kg
Usable weight - 3.30kg (BSS weight: 0.02Kg)
Pack size - 50cm x 18cm
Pack volume - 13 litres
Flysheet - Hytex SPU-SL66 Nylon (3000mm HH)
Inner Tent - Breathable RS Nylon with H2O Repellent Finish
Groundsheet - HD Nylon (5000 HH)
Poles - DAC Featherlite (T6-7001 Alloy)
Pegs - Y-Shaped alloy (anchors) + hook/pin alloy
Colour Flysheet - Jaffa
Colour Groundsheet - Black

£279.99 INC VAT

Kenkari said:
I'm in need of a new tent. The one I have now is a 4 season version, What are you people using for the summer months that would address this problem and yet still be suitable for April and October weather. I'd like the new one to be a two person tent and as small as possible.
I'm using an MSR Hubba, and find it very good for summer. The ample mesh is good for ventilation when it's not raining, and the large vestibule is good for storing wet gear out of the tent. Have not found it to be too cool, yet. The Hubba Hubba would double the sleeping space, and only another pound. Both pack down to very small packages.

Campmor has some sale items on smaller one- and two-person tents going just now: http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=37711207
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/store ... d=39169318

For our climate, you want a sturdy tent, so perhaps some of the above, which are not freestanding, would be unsuitable.

I can vouch for the quality of both the MSR and the Mtn. Hardwear tents.

idealmilk said:
Force 10 Assault is a great tent http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/Vango_Force_Ten_Assault.html (yes i know it says Vango but force 10 were bought up by Vango and the tents are very well made). It is perhaps a little hot in the summer in direct sunlight (but then most tents are) but it is constructed to stand up to force 10 winds, is pretty lightweight, big 2 person, breaks down easily into a kayak and is mosquito proof and totally waterproof (so much so that there is a warning not to block the vents in winter!!!) and surprisingly it is somewhat cheaper than similiar Mountain Hardware or North Face tents. We spent ages looking for it and it is one of our best bits of kit - but you have to love orange :)
That's a very durable looking tent. Looks cool and better yet, it's functional too. :D

I'm not familiar with the Vango brand -- where's it manufactured? Is it a well-known brand?

I checked the price (I assume that it's in Pounds?) and it works out to about $600 Cdn -- which is considerably more than the MH Hammerhead. I would think that in the UK and Europe that you're paying a premium for North American products.

I'm a big fan of European tents -- especially the tunnel tents, but they haven't seemed to have caught on much in North America. The problem is that European manufactured tents are prohibitively expensive here because of shipping and import costs (if you even can find a retailer that carries them).

I took a look around on the site that you linked to and really like the Vango Equinox 250. It's got a huge footprint but I really like the idea of the enormous vestible -- it's great for getting out of the rain and drying wet gear. Hmm... in Canadian dollars, it retails for about the same as the Hammerhead -- I'll have to check into shipping costs.

Tents are probably the most cool of all gear. 8)

btw: your link didn't work because there was a space at the end of it -- the closing /url tag has to be right next to the URL.

It seems I've opened a can of worms for myself.
Look at all the shelters to investigate ... thank you all.

I had been and still am, though I didn't want to say anything in the inital post to give all you people free reign on your thoughts, looking at the MSR Hubba Hubba, MSR Zoid 2, North Face Tadpole 23 and the MEC Tarn 2.

My current favourite, for looks alone, is the Tadpole 23.

http://www.thenorthface.com/opencms/ope ... uctId=7977

I'll have to wander around Vancouver and try to find one to see if it is reasonably durable. Not to mention pester the poor sales person about it's limitations.

Once again ... thanks for all the suggestions... I'll have a snoop at as many as I can find that have been suggested here before I make my decision.

I don't know what it is about the Tern series of tents, but I saw 3 of them on a recent trip and noticed ants over all of them. And I don't mean just a few ants -- lot's of ants. And they were at three different campsites. Perhaps it's the rust or sand colour or something in the fabric? It just struck me as odd as I didn't see any ants or other bugs on any of the other tents in the areas.

Dan_Millsip said:
I don't know what it is about the Tern series of tents, but I saw 3 of them on a recent trip and noticed ants over all of them. And I don't mean just a few ants -- lot's of ants. And they were at three different campsites. Perhaps it's the rust or sand colour or something in the fabric? It just struck me as odd as I didn't see any ants or other bugs on any of the other tents in the areas.

Just as long as the ants don't pick up the tent and run off with it! Good reason to peg it in!

My wife and I purchased the Tarn3 from MEC. It is a good two person tent for three seasons. As a true 3 person incredibly tight. We looked at the Tarn 2 but thought it was a wee bit small for two.

That" Force ten assault " looks like its the biz. It's rugged,expensive and psychologists would say with a name like that, it has much bigger penis than any of the other tents.

Back