• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Well, I'm done for the summer

Oh my goodness... it was the hottest day of the year today... ridiculusly hot here in Tofino!!!

It got to 27 degrees today!!!! How am I supposed to work under these conditions. 27 degrees, and approximately 2 knots of wind, with only a half knot of current....

Just because the water was like paddling over a mirror, and the ancient rainforests were as lush as an Amazonian cloud forest... man... it was tough...

Coastal OR and WA paddlers can paddle every month of the year ... and with the dry suit on, those winter months are actually more comfy than the summer months. Better birds, lots of migratory ones especially, including swans, lots of cool lonesome fetches, and some helacious winds to make you humble. Here is a link to one of those times:
http://www.nwkayaking.net/?page_id=362

Lest all this talk of year 'round paddling sound too good to be true, well, it is true,

BUT I hope you don't mind winter rain. It's like heat and humidity in southeastern US summers--part of the package. No place is perfect all the time. A good portion of the local population leaves for Baja or other dry and warm places from about mid-October or early November through early spring. I stay and enjoy the much quieter atmosphere, no crowds, no need for sunblock or sunglasses.

Paddled yesterday way down here in So Cal. 70 degree water & air temp. Paws - if you're comfortable with your paddle float reentry, consider moving to some things like the scramble, a paddle float reenter & roll, or a paddle float assisted roll. Some find that helpful as as a step toward rolling.

Astoriadave said:
Paws, bring that pony out to Sequim, where the annual rainfall is about 20 inches, the paddling is excellent, and the cultural delights of Seattle are just close enough, and the city mess is remote enough as well. There must be bridle trails around there.

There are many nice towns around the Olympic Peninsula, ducking many of the rains that much of the rest of Puget Sound experiences. Sequim is certainly nice, but I like the views around Port Townsend a little better, and I don't have to repeatedly tell people how to pronounce my town's name. :mrgreen:

Photo: Mount Baker, with Whidbey Island beneath it. Taken this weekend at the Rat Island Regatta, here in Port Townsend. An annual rowing, sculling, paddling race, put on by the Sound Rowers club (out of the SeaTac area). The organization puts on a yearly series of day races throughout Puget Sound that many kayakers participate in.

pikabike said:
Third on the December paddling, and I bet most of the regional posters could keep adding to that one.
Hmmmmmm....... We can paddle here in December but its hard to roll on the ice and my drysuit is very stiff to put on.

Terry

Back