• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Bunsbys, Battle Bay and the Maa-nulth Treaty

Comoxpaddler

Paddler
Thanks for previous info on the Bunsbys.

Ongoing research re my upcoming trip leads me to ask about the "real world" status of the campsites at the east end of Battle Bay, and Barney's Island, both of which are now private land owned by the Kyuquot/Checleseht.

Do any WCPers have experience of either contacting the Band for permission to camp at these sites, or any info re whether the Band actually expect kayakers to do so?

John Kimantas's "BC Coast Explorer" suggests it is necessary but it was written in 2012, only a year after the treaty was signed. Perhaps things have changed/moved on since then?

Thanks in advance.

Barney's Island had one of these notices up sep 2014
file.php

So, the last bit - "You must ask permission if you plan to stay on...Treaty Settlement Lands" - seems fairly explicit.

What have other WCPers done? Called for permission? Or hoped for forgiveness?

Comoxpaddler said:
What have other WCPers done? Called for permission? Or hoped for forgiveness?

I'll weigh in. The spots are not patrolled and so you're unlikely to get caught or otherwise have a confrontation. But as locals take out boats you're likely to be seen and your presence noted. And even if you're a good tenant it will be another case of an outsider camping under a sign that is ignored, and so another case of a kayaker abusing privilege and more grist for the mill if ever a discussion comes up about unthinking or uncaring kayakers and what to do about them. You may be fine but one camper who starts a fire in drought conditions or leaves behind a pile of garbage is one more reason to crack down on visitors.

Since phoning is so easy and creates a much better relationship with the band, why not? I'd suggest go a step farther and phone or write again after visiting to thank them and log any information you think worth sharing. The larger picture is building up a long-term relationship between the band and kayakers. The worst case is to become an enemy so when/if you do stop, even just for a picnic, you're confronted and forced off the island in a shouting match. There's always an evolution in these things, and when you're dealing with private property the owners will only tolerate so much. I remember being able to drive around and camp along Comox Lake but the logging company had enough of fires and vandalism and closed off the road access. Can you blame them? So now the Maa-nulth land is private property and so best to treat it as such or else.

Myself and 2 others made the trip into this area last year (August 2014).
I called the Band office to ask permission for access to the Band's lands.
The female Band member was very nice...she pointed out the only 'No Access' area was the Burial Island just off Acous Peninsula.
She also informed me that we may not get access to the ancient Village site in 'Byers Cone' as there may be some Band activity there.
Also, she pointed out that Too-Tah (Barney's) Island is privately owned.

We respected the 'No Access' to the Burial Island.
There was no Band presence at the ancient Village site, so we stopped there for a quick peek.
A follow up phone call to a local Kayak Guiding Resort owner confirmed that everyone still stops/camps on Too-Tah Island...so we ended up camping there for 3 nights.

I tried to book a Water Taxi with a Band member (Voyager Water Taxi), but his schedule couldn't accommodate.
We paid for Band parking at Fair Harbour...though we could have parked in the non-Band parking area for nothing.
Felt we needed to drop a little coin.

I would recommend to make the call to the Band's office.

Good luck.

Thanks Ken. This is the real world advice I was after.

When I went to Haida Gwaii in 2010 the advice I read was to seek formal permission from the Band to land on their reserves. When I phoned I was met with a somewhat bemused response. It transpired that only one other person had ever done this and there was really therefore no system in place to deal with requests. I ended up being asked to visit the Band office in Masset where I was dealt with very kindly by the Band's PR guy (slightly bizarrely an expat Brit like myself), who drew up an ad hoc document saying that I could visit the sites.

I totally agree with John Kimantas's view philosophically, and have now learned that I will not be met with bewilderment when I phone!

Back