• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Another island record attempt

"Hey guys, many thanks for the comments and concern - I injured my shoulder when coming ashore in Hesquiat in the dark of night lifting my boat over the awkward slimy basketball rocks in the bay. I couldn't find the beach proper in the dark and got whacked by a wave at the worst possible moment. Took me a day to limp down to Tofino and then another to arrange a transport. I've just returned this afternoon to Bellingham. A bitter blow, but I can only say that the island experience was transformative and I walked away grateful and inspired."

Hey Rand, I agree. A beast in every sense of the word. I was able to make a pretty decent pace, often averaging 6 to 7mph, but I had a host of small to large issues that became a major burden / distraction to actually being on the water. The biggest was trying to go unassisted. That just made everything so much harder on a trip that is already insanely hard. Trying to fit 100k calories in a surfski is no small trick, and then you add in ten days worth of camping gear and the suddenly my lightweight surfski is 130 pounds, which is ultimately why I was injured trying to lift that over the rocks. My other major issue was water was very hard to find. I brought a desalinator which was very effective for the first three days, and then broke suddenly leaving me in a really tough spot. I agree, and think the island will go in ten days, but that assumes an athlete can manage the physical breakdown that happens with that many hours / days paddling in salt water. I did a lot of preventative work to toughen up my hands, and they did great, but the sea rash (salt water abrasions) grew just a little bit everyday becoming very painful by the end of my attempt. Doing that unassisted would take miraculous conditions, something I didn't have either! The trick is going for a speed record in a way that doesn't nueter the beast and does the island justice. Not sure what that is, but think Russells' record clearly sets a high standard in both speed and self sufficiency of the attempt.

http://www.fasterfarther.com/journal/20 ... ation-2015

Back