• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Burrows & Strawberry Is., San Juans, WA 21-23 Aug 2015

alexsidles

Paddler
I spent the weekend at my favorite place on earth: Strawberry Island in the San Juan Islands of Washington.

Traffic from Seattle was horrible, as one might expect on a Friday afternoon. I got to the launch point at Washington Park, Anacortes about ten minutes before sunset. There wouldn't be nearly enough time to reach Strawberry Island 4.5 miles north (7 km) before full dark. It is possible to camp in Washington Park, but you have to pay for it, and worse yet, the campground is overrun on summer weekends with drunken yahoos and their accompanying barking dogs, thumping bass, and shrieking laughter; a truly hellish ordeal.

Luckily, I remembered hearing about a campsite on nearby Burrows Island, just around the corner to the south. There'd be no yahoos there, for sure, if I only had time to get there before dark. I loaded my boat with frantic speed, running my gear down to the beach and dashing back to the car for more, racing against the fading light. I launched at 8:30, after the sun was below the horizon but still in time to enjoy a glorious sky.

As I approached Burrows Island from the north, I was confronted with an unbroken, steep, rocky shoreline. To the right, I spotted a lighthouse and headed toward it, hoping to find a beach nearby that the lighthouse keepers might have used back in the days when lighthouses were manned. There was indeed a beach by the lighthouse, but it was too small for camping and offered no easy access to the uplands. Taking a gamble, I decided to circumnavigate Burrows in the dark, in hopes that I would still be able to recognize the camping beach when I passed it.

I never did find the camping beach. (It turns out it is at Alice Bight, another half mile up the east side.) As the stars came out, I finally stumbled across a private beach at Peartree Bay with a cabin grandfathered in before Burrows became public land. There looked to be no one home, so I set up camp on the gravel beach just below the driftwood line. In Washington, such tideland is open to public access even if privately owned, although I recognized that sleeping on such a beach was really stretching the limits of what could be considered legitimate "public access." Normally, I would worry about high tides swamping me during the night, but the moon was in its quarter phase, so I knew tides would be low.

I forgot my sleeping pad at home, so I decided to just embrace austerity and lay down under the stars with no tent.

It seemed possible that the cabin's owners might decide to show up on a beautiful Saturday, plus I was in a hurry to get to Strawberry Island, so I left the next morning as soon as the favorable flood tide began. A glassy Rosario Strait greeted me as I rounded the corner, and I drifted north toward Strawberry with scarcely any effort.

There was plenty of wildlife activity in the strait. I saw all four of the "Big Four" alcids: Pigeon Guillemot, Marbled Murrelet, Common Murre, and Rhinoceros Auklet. The murres and murrelets were particularly numerous. The murres were calling back and forth to one another with their penguin-like groans, and the murrelets were already assembling in flocks in preparation for the winter.

There was some sort of outrageous salmon run in progress, with giant fish leaping out of the water all around me. A passing fisherman told me they were mostly pinks and silvers, with a few kings thrown in. The dense fish population attracted lots of Harbor Porpoises, which swarmed all over the strait in pods of three to six animals.

As I approached Strawberry Island, I saw a funny sight: huddled on one tiny rock were no less than six species of bird: a Pelagic Cormorant, a Double-crested Cormorant, half a dozen Heermann's Gulls (my favorite gull), a Thayer's Gull, two Glaucous-winged Gulls, and four Surfbirds! Who knows why so many birds would want to crowd together on this one particular rock? There were so many other rocks nearby that looked equally appealing to my human eyes.

Strawberry Island is like its own separate, pocket-sized world. There are mountains to climb—in reality, just fifteen-foot rocks. There are plains to wander—in reality, just a few open patches of dry grass. There is a deep, mysterious forest—which, in reality, can be explored in ten minutes. There is a waterfront—a pebble beach twenty feet wide. You feel like you are transported to a living diorama of our planet, with every ecosystem a five-minute walk from every other. Will you sit on the high rocks and survey your surrounds? Will you hide in the cool shade of the woods? Clamber down the cliff to the fjords, where the water laps against the land? A million miniature adventures await.

The cliffs overlook the serene but wild waters of Rosario Strait, and you can sit on the rocks with your feet dangling and watch the porpoises and seabirds forage below you. Although houses are visible in the bay of Cypress Island to the east, the dominant view, especially to the west, is of undeveloped, forested islands and maze-like water channels that twist in every direction.

I set up camp on the "plains" overlooking the water and again slept under the stars.

Another kayak party did arrive in the late afternoon, to my annoyance, but I was very fortunate in that they were well-behaved campers. They kept their noise down, didn't camp right on top of me, and in general were about as pleasant as fellow campers can be. If you have to share your favorite place on earth with strangers, it's nice to share it with strangers who are respectful of its beauty and peace. Better still, they left early the next morning.

On Sunday, I dawdled as long as I could, extracting every minute of time on my island. Eventually, the ebbing tide and sinking sun meant it was time to paddle back to Washington Park and get in my car. I took a last tour through the mountains, forests, and plains, then headed down to the waterfront to pack.

A slow ebb dragged me southward, back to the full-size world.

Alex

A few years ago, I thought Strawberry was closed for camping. Did it re-open for camping?

The GCW said:
A few years ago, I thought Strawberry was closed for camping. Did it re-open for camping?

No, it remains closed, but many, many people camp there. As the Department of Natural Resources acknowledges, the campsite was closed in 2009 due to budget cuts at DNR, not to protect habitat or for any other ecological reason. They simply no longer had the money to maintain the outhouse and pack out trash.

Per WAC 332-52-100, DNR is within its right to declare the Strawberry Island campsite closed. As the same regulation explains, camping in a closed campsite is a non-criminal infraction. Non-criminal infractions, per RCW 7.84.030http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=7.84.030, are punishable by a ticket. The ticket can only be issued if law enforcement personnel witness the infraction or present a court with a statement of their reasonable belief that the infraction occurred.

But! DNR is required to post a no-camping sign, per WAC 332-52-600http://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=332-52&full=true#332-52-600. ("Notices of permitted or prohibited activities will be posted in such locations as will reasonably bring them to the attention of the public.") There is no sign at Strawberry Island saying it is closed.

Also! An anonymous but well-placed source has informed me that DNR does not have the manpower or interest to pursue people camping in closed campsites.

Putting it all together: as long as you camp respectfully, there is no harm in camping on Strawberry Island. Camping respectfully means not leaving human waste or garbage behind, because there is no longer anyone to clean it up except you. You are not harming the environment by camping respectfully on Strawberry, it's not a crime to do so, and DNR itself is not interested in writing anybody any tickets or even putting up a sign. The closure is purely a money-saving move, and as long as the island doesn't get trashed, they don't care what you do on it.

Note that if you do somehow harm the island, perhaps by starting fires or leaving waste behind, for example, you are liable for civil and criminal penalties, per RCW 79.02.300http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=79.02&full=true#79.02.300. But that's just common sense.

Sorry for the long-winded response. My opinion regarding camping on Strawberry Island is complex, as you can see. I wish they would just formally re-open it. It's the best place on earth.

Alex

Alex,

Thanks for the details / update.

While I was in the area in July, I heard the San Juan Islands campsites are mostly all closed during the off season, for camping. That's most of the year. Wow, I would never have guessed that!

Do the same details about Strawberry Is. also apply to the San Juan Is. in general?

There are different designated camps too by the way.

*Turn Island is a state park???

*Jones a state park with a different designation.

*Point Doughty is something else...

*Places like Blind Island are another different designation, along with Griffin Bay etc.

*Lummi Is. is maintained by a local club there and I heard due to that, they are open year round and maybe one of the only or few...

-0-

Do people just stop camping during the off season? That's odd.

Does anybody patrol these sites in the off season? Does anybody care if you camp there in the off season? Does "closed" just mean that any sanitary facilities are not serviced?

GCW and Dave,

Land tenure in the San Juans is extremely complicated. The campsites are split between three agencies: Washington State Parks, San Juan County Parks, and the Department of Natural Resources' (DNR) campgrounds. Within each of these categories, some of the campsites are open year-round, but others have seasonal closures.

Examples:
James Island (state park, open year-round)
Spencer Spit (state park, closed in winter)
Point Doughty (DNR, open year-round)
Pelican Beach (DNR, closed in winter)
Odlin County Park (San Juan county park, open year-round)

As a rule of thumb, by far the majority of the state parks and county parks in the San Juans are open year-round, but it's still a good idea to check the departments' websites before you go. The DNR sites are more hit-and-miss. There is no one rule that controls all campsites in the islands. The state and county parks have well-designed, easy-to-use, informative websites for each park. The DNR has terrible, confusing, misleading websites.

All of the specific campsites GCW asked about are open to camping year-round, with the possible exception of Griffin Bay, which I'll address below. I'm not sure where you got that the different state parks have different designations—they are all state parks. State parks can have different rules from one another, as in the example of Spencer Spit State Park, which closes in the winter, but none of the state parks you mentioned do. Lummi and Doughty are DNR, not state parks, but they are both year-round as well.

Adding to the confusion, however, some campsites have been permanently closed. Strawberry Island (DNR) is one such. Griffin Bay (state park) may be another—it has been removed from the parks department's official list of campsites. I called the regional manager last year about Griffin Bay, and he hadn't heard it was closed, nor is there any closure announcement anywhere. Its status seems ambiguous. I have no idea who's pumping out the port-a-potty—probably some long-term contractor.

Camping in closed campsites is a non-criminal infraction. See WAC 352-32-030 for state parks. ("No person shall camp in any state park area except in areas specifically designated and/or marked for that purpose or as directed by a ranger.") See WAC 332-52-100 for DNR. ("The department may limit any recreation activity or public use on department-managed lands...all persons shall comply with any department-posted restrictions that limit recreational activities.") You get a ticket if the ranger sees you.

On DNR land, the department is required to post a sign forbidding camping. See WAC 332-52-600 ("Notices of permitted or prohibited activities will be posted in such locations as will reasonably bring them to the attention of the public.") If they fail to post the no-camping sign, they didn't properly inform you that camping is forbidden, so you can fight the ticket, if the ranger even writes one at all. On state park land, however, the department is not required to post a no-camping sign. Unless you see an affirmative "camping OK" sign, you are not allowed to camp there, and the ranger's ticket will probably stick.

The DNR explicitly states that they close their campsites—permanently at Strawberry, seasonally at Pelican and Cypress—in order to save money. They have neither the money, manpower, nor interest in writing tickets to campers at those sites. The state parks does not state why they close their campsites—seasonally at Spencer Spit, possibly permanently at Griffin, though that's ambiguous. It is not safe to assume the parks department close those sites only to save money; they may have other reasons as well. I don't have a moral problem camping in a campsite that has been closed only to save money. I do have a moral problem camping in a campsite that has been closed in order to pursue some public policy goal.

Because I don't know why the state parks campsites close, and because campers require express permission to camp in state parks, I do not camp in closed state parks. Because the DNR campsites are closed only to save money, and because DNR neglects their duty to post required closure notices, I do camp at Strawberry Island.

Note that some islands in the San Juans are part of a national wildlife refuge wilderness area. You should never camp on those islands, or even approach them at all. It's not just against the law, it's harmful to wildlife.

Folks less interested in moral and legal questions and more interested in practical questions might be asking, "Yeah, but how often do they patrol these sites?" In the case of the DNR closed sites, the answer is they basically never patrol, and they don't care if you camp there, because it's a money issue, not a policy one. In the case of Griffin Bay State Park, they also do not patrol. (The ranger I talked to didn't even know if it was open or closed, and he's the guy in charge of enforcing a closure.) In the case of seasonally closed state parks like Spencer Spit, they patrol quite frequently—it helps that those parks are on major islands with road access. If you are caught camping in a closed campsite, it's a non-criminal infraction, similar in status and amount to a parking ticket.

Do your research regarding closures, decide on your moral stance, and remember that the drive-in parks on major islands are patrolled during the off-season while the boat-in parks on little islands are not. Always practice no-impact camping. One thing you should not do is avoid the San Juans out of fear of park closures or an admittedly confusing legal thicket. The fall and winter are the best times to visit.

Alex

Dave, the issue of closed parks could be a state policy. After I heard someone say they got a $100 ticket for camping at a closed park - I'm pretty sure in Washington - I asked a Forest Service ranger person. Note this is a Forest Service Park, not a State Park. He said, "Closed" just meant the trash and toilets weren't serviced and it was okay to stay there if I kept it clean (rest rooms may even be kept open - bring your own TP). However, he warned against parking in front of any closed gate - he said that would get you a ticket. So it sounds like Closed in WA means it's okay if they don't catch you and Closed in Oregon (I don't know about State Parks) means it's okay - just don't block a service gate.

But I'd definitely check the details again if I were going to be in a "closed park" situation.

I was reviewing this an thinking about the nature of language. Is a closed park really a "park"? If you define what a park is/does, but then you close it, it seems it no longer is/does the definition of a park. So if there are rules about camping in designated areas of a "park"; it is clear if the park is open. But the park is closed, then it is no longer a park - it is just land. It seems restrictions about doing things "inside the park" no longer apply because it is no longer a park.

Of course I wouldn't want to test that in a court of law, nor try to explain my reasoning to someone with a badge and a ticket book.

It just seems if someone is going to be a good steward to a place, they are whether it is "open" or "closed" and if they are not, if they are going to leave trash and "other debris", if that's their nature, they will do that whether the park is "open" or "closed".

Aaaarrrrgh, I need to get out on the water.

Just a note on Cypress. We spent a couple of nights there in Sept, and before we went I called WA DNR for some info on camping there. (I can't remember exactly what my question was.) I talked to the guy who patrolled that area, and he told me that DNR had decided to keep the "open" sites--Cypress Head and Pelican Beach--open year 'round starting now.

I guess that means that the potties get serviced and no off-season tickets will get issued there. I haven't searched the DNR site for published confirmation of this verbal communication.

Re Strawberry Is., I had heard that people still camp there; I'd heard the place had been trashed. But that was just hearsay, from one person. I'm interested to visit there one of these days.

Back