• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Sleeping hammock

Paws:
I have an Exped Ergo hammock - a different type than the end-gathered style like the Hennessy.
It's really comfortable; I've used it (by plan) on a couple of overnights and I take it along if I'm not sure I'll be able to find a decent tentsite, though I haven't 'had to' use it in that situation yet.
The Ergo comes with a large tarp which gives good coverage if it is raining- some of the hard-core hammock folks (Have you discovered hammockforum yet? :mrgreen: ) use minimal tarps which wouldn't afford good protection from wind/rain situations, IMO.
One drawback of the hammock for me is the 'where do I put my stuff?' question - you need to hang bags from the suspension. Though the Ergo has pockets for small items, it's not like a tent where you can shove your clothing bags into the corner.
But, the Ergo (with a good inflatable pad with insulation) is a very comfy way to sleep, IME. I don't like the 'confining' nature of the end-gathered hammocks, but they are popular and lightweight.
If you do get a hammock, I'd advise some backyard practice (including a sleepout if possible) to get some experience with hammock/tarp setup and use before going camping.

EDIT: Check out the prices at MEC - I think they might be cheaper than amazon, with the difference in the USD and CAD.
http://www.mec.ca/shop/?q=hammock

pawsplus said:
Anyone have one? Are they really better (comfort-wise)? Anyone have this one?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... ack1300-20
Not a hammock user, but devotees I have paddled with really like them. Some users claim they sleep cooler, perhaps a real advantage in TN. In the wet, when it blows, a sturdy tarp overhead to supplement any integral rain fly is recommended by some users.

John's comments about the need to hang gear and clothing fits what I have seen hammockers do. Some favor a small kitchen tarp separate from the hammock site.

pawsplus said:
Thanks! I don't see the one you mentioned at MEC. Am I missing it?

I don't know the status (i.e. where to buy one) of the Exped Ergo hammock right now- MEC has never carried the Exped tents or the Ergo hammock, AFAIK, but I see they are selling the 'Scout Combi' now. I've had my Ergo for a couple of years- I got a deal on it, but Exped products are expensive.

The Exped tarp (that came with my hammocks in the 'Combi' version) is excellent - big and well thought-out.

If you check out hammockforums.net, you'll find info about a lot of options: gathered-end and bridge hammocks from small (cottage/boutique) manufacturers as well as bigger companies/importers, and lots of DIY info for folks who know how to run a sewing machine (aka 'thread injector' at hammockforums for folks who felt their masculinity was threatened by using a sewing machine. :D ).
The Amok Draumr is a similar concept to the Exped Ergo which seems to be getting interest at hammockforums.

The Ergo construction didn't inspire enough confidence in the 'bigger' hammock hangers on that forum, as I recall, so it didn't get a lot of 'traction'.

If you think about a Hennessey, be sure to research the difference between their original designs which open on the bottom and the later style which is the usual 'climb in and out from the side' type.

Have joined the hammock forum--thanks!

I'll be posting a trip report tomorrow on my 2 night camping trip. It was GREAT, the only downside being that I continue to have terrible trouble sleeping well. This has been true on every trip I've been on, so I'm wondering about alternatives. I wish I could try a hammock before dumping more money on one, but of course no one around here has one--Not that I know of anyway.

You might query the group on the poor sleep. Might be your sleeping position (on the back, on the side) is an issue. Might be the sleeping pad you use. Might be eating late. Might be the strangeness of sleeping on the ground if you have not done much of that. Or, you are not getting enough muscule exercise paddling.

I always sleep better in a tent, on the ground, than anywhere else. Two pees a night. Otherwise, wake up ready to go, refreshed.

I've been guiding multi-day kayak tours for the last four years, and I've been using a Hennessy Hammock.

I got the Explorer Deluxe (I'm 6'4"). They say it can fit up to 7', but I feel like I'm pushing it at 6"4"...

I will never sleep in a tent again if I can possibly avoid it. The hammock is so much more comfortable. Hennessy are built to be asymmetric, which helps lengthen out the flat part. You sleep diagonally in the hammock, and I often sleep on my side. For someone shorter, it would be even more comfortable.

I've never had a problem with rain. The fly can be adjusted so it provides excellent coverage, but doesn't ever touch the hammock (so no seeping). If you set it up properly, you'll never have a wet sleeping bag again. I've had trips where other people had little streams rushing through their tents, but I was dangling quite happily about a foot off the mud.

I would recommend the side zip version over the bottom entry. I have used both, and I find it is so much easier to get inside and "arranged" with the side zip. With the bottom entry, you do a lot more squirming around trying to get yourself into you sleeping bag and on top of your insulation. Unless you are somewhere with an atrocious amount of bugs (bigger opening for bugs to get in), I'd go with side zip. Also, don't fall asleep with your face against the mesh.......

It seems weird, but you'll still need a sleeping pad (or some other insulation). Unless its wickedly hot at night (like 35 degrees hot) you'll be cold without something underneath you.

Something else to consider is where you gear is going to go. If the weather isn't complete crap, I will just put everything extra in a mesh duffle underneath the hammock. If the weather isn't too great, anything that matters has to go in a hatch, or in the hammock with me.

Overall, I think a hammock is an excellent choice for kayaking.

I use the Survivor Universal Camo Classic by Hennessy and can confirm a cooler sleep. But if you put the under hammock on with a foil windshield saver it sleeps really warm. The asym allows side sleeping but I find it so comfortable that I rarely toss. Pick up of standard tube webbing(cheap)will allow you to attach to any size tree, rock, etc easily.

The bottom entry is very simple but does require you to pre think your entry into sleeping bag a bit ...but once in its money!!

pawsplus said:
Have joined the hammock forum--thanks! ...........I wish I could try a hammock before dumping more money on one, but of course no one around here has one--Not that I know of anyway.

On hammockforums there are often organized 'group hangs' at a campsite where folks try (each others) different hammocks and generally try to get 'converts' to hammocking. People often post 'anybody near xxxxxx have a hammock I can try?' messages on the forum.
Some of the producers have a 'try it and return it' guarantee, IIRC.
Since you are in the US, where shipping is cheap, if you buy a hammock and don't like it, you can sell it on hammockforums for about 75% or more of what you paid... This is especially true if you buy one of the 'desirable' hammocks which sometimes have a waiting list.
I bought one of our Ergos from a hammockforums member.

Astoriadave said:
You might query the group on the poor sleep. Might be your sleeping position (on the back, on the side) is an issue. Might be the sleeping pad you use. Might be eating late. Might be the strangeness of sleeping on the ground if you have not done much of that. Or, you are not getting enough muscule exercise paddling.
Plenty of exercise! And I eat early I cannot sleep on my back, anywhere. The pad is fine, but not as wide as a double bed, so my normal modus operandi of sleeping on my side, knees drawn up, and letting the top knee drop over does not work. That's partly b/c the sleeping bag is a bit constrictive and partly b/c the pad, being narrow, doesn't support that top knee when I drop it over.

I'm not an awesome sleeper at home, I'll admit. Some of it is the pillow--I used a microbead pillow at home. Now that I've gotten rid of the big thermarest in favor of the tiny one, I probably have room for the m-bead pillow. I didn't sleep badly in the San Juans when I had the m-bead pillow and have slept poorly on every trip since then, without it. So it might be partly the pillow. But that's not all of it.

I love that Ergo hammock and it looks like it would work for me. Will have to work myself up to spending that kind of $$, though. ;-)

I knew some folks love hammocks, but I never suspected hammocks could keep a forum busy..let alone initiate 'group hangs'..brings a whole new meaning to 'hanging out'. Learn something every day.

paws..I seem to remember you love math..this may be worth a look, or at least appreciate. Change the hang angle and note the forces that result. Make sure the line-cord-rope you use is up to the task or you may have a "rude awaking"..so to speak.
http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

Also..check the links on the top of the above website..there may be some tips for you.

fishboat said:
I knew some folks love hammocks, but I never suspected hammocks could keep a forum busy..let alone initiate 'group hangs'..brings a whole new meaning to 'hanging out'. Learn something every day.

It certainly puts the kayaking forums 'in their place':

Hammock Forums - Elevate Your Perspective
Statistics
Threads
Members
Active Members

Impressive numbers..wow..who knew? Yet another world I don't know much about. I may need to 'hang out' there occasionally to see what the buzz is about(or aboot for the Canadians.. :) ).

The URL is www.hammockforums.net

Please read the book, The Ultimate Hang, before you buy a hammock. I'd send you my loaner but the back and forth shipping cost would be more than the book ($13 - Amazon or $6 - Kindle eBook Amazon).

If you go with a Hennessy and order directly from them (rather than an REI sale) you can get their adequate Hex tarp instead of the standard minimalist tarp and just pay the difference. Maybe (check with a phone call) they will let you do that if you buy from another source and send them the unused standard tarp.

You'll want to unzip your sleeping bag and use it more like a quilt (keeping the bottom 2 - 3 feet zipped to make a foot box).

This post was a bit longer - going into bottom insulation and such - but I hit the wrong key, it's gone and it is now late. www.hammockforums.net will have your answers.

I sleep outside, in a hammock, about 3 nights a week - even now - because I like the fresh air and the hammock is more comfortable than a bed - and way more comfortable than the ground when camping.

If you get in a situation with no trees, you can use your tarp and bug net. I carry two collapsible poles (REI) and I still carry my pad. I roll it, taking the air out, then unroll it and fold it lengthwise, then roll it again. Makes about a 10" by 10" cylinder - easy to pack.

You can get a double layer hammock from DutchGear for about $50. You can get a 12ft Kelty Noah Tarp from Amazon for about $60.

Okay, now morning - There is a lot, not complicated, just new and contrary to most people's ideas, of information on hammock camping and The Ultimate Hang covers a lot of that ... ground.

When many think of a hammock they imagine sleeping like a banana shape. If fact, you sleep pretty flat - usually flatter than on the ground - by turning your body a bit diagonally (this is for a gathered end hammock; the bridge hammock mentioned earlier uses spreader poles at the end and gives a natural flat lie). So you are not completely in line, end to end, with the hammock. You can turn such because of the sag created by hanging the hammock at about 30 degrees from the suspension point. 30 degrees is not a religion, it is just a starting point for "fit". Some like a little looser, some a little tighter.

I usually start by hanging so its about the height of a chair; I can stand and sit like getting out of a chair. Then I adjust/refine at the tree to give my preferred sag or angle, keeping the same hammock height. So if I raise the connection point on the tree, I lengthen the suspension line. The hammock is the same height above around but the angle is different, giving more sag. Once you find the angle you like, you can make a fixed line to attach at the end points of the hammock and use that as a measurement in the future - assuring the same sag every time.

The big deal in overnight use is bottom insulation. On the ground, good o'Mother earth and your pad provide insulation, your sleeping bag, the part under you, doesn't because the loft is compressed. In a hammock, that part of the sleeping bag is still compressed - which is why most people use it more like a quilt - but now you have convection heat loss because of air flow under the hammock - and you will feel it if not accounted for. We call it CBS - cold butt syndrome.

CBS is often solved with the hammock having a sleeve (double layer) and your pad goes in the sleeve. That minimizes the agony of your pad sliding around inside the hammock. I don't believe the Hennessy's are double layer. But another solution is an under cover protector. It's a detachable layer of nylon that goes under the hammock - attached to the same suspension lines. It covers the under quilt if you have one or holds the pad if you don't have a double layer hammock.

The way you sleep in a bed is influenced by the bed - if you have to sleep on your side, if you toss and turn, etc. That's because of the pressure points created by the mattress. You don't have those pressure points with a hammock. It's like floating on a cloud. So don't judge sleeping in a hammock by the way you have to sleep in a bed. But even floating on a cloud takes getting use to. So the first night might feel a little weird as the body learns what muscles it can relax.

The best way to prepare is, in the warm summer months or with enough blankets to keep warm in the winter, hang the hammock at the house and lounge in it for a few hours at a time. Eventually see if you can take a short afternoon nap. Gradually introduce your body to it.

The first time I used the hammock camping, I put up the tent too; just in case I was going to bail out in the middle of the night. The next night I "thought" I would use the tent but as I walked towards it, my body propelled me passed and on to the hammock. I haven't sought out ground sleeping since.

That said, there are many beautiful open, treeless, spots to stay. There are little patches of flat land on a bluff overlooking the water. So you need a Plan B. And you have that with your tent. The hammock will pack so small (Yeah, I know, only 14 ft boat) - like a softball or grapefruit.

At Dutchware you can get a "half bugnet" that covers the upper half of your body because the critters won't bite though the sleeping bag.

Anyway, there are lots of nuances but the bottom line is - for many it provides a solid, comfortable, night's sleep.

Back