• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Recreational Boating Statistics

dvfrggr

Paddler
Pawsplus's post on the canoe fatality jogged my memory on a brief Coast guard presentation I attended months ago, I was surprised on the amount of money they direct to boating safety education. Part of his discussion was on the success some states have had in starting boating safety education in the elementary schools. He stated total fatalities have been decreasing.
I googled this Coast Guard publication http://www.uscgboating.org/library/acci ... s-2014.pdf
It is extremely detailed, searching various years for the most part page 55 lists the casualty data for all States.

Dave R

Fascinating report. Remove alcohol, not wearing a PFD, and hypothermia from the stats and deaths would go down way more. Also, nearly 3/4 of boating fatalities had no training of any type regarding safety or operation of their craft.

I couldn't find anything with this kind of detail for Canada. Canadian recreational boating deaths have decreased annually by almost 50% since 1991. I was also surprised that 42% of Ontarians owned a recreational water craft. Way ahead of any other province. PEI was only 0.2%, and it's an island. Go figure.

Very interesting. I was out yesterday on the same lake where the drowning occurred, in almost identical conditions. I've never gone over, and did not feel concerned about that at all, but I polled myself and determined that if I were to go over, I would be fine. In those conditions, I would have wet-exited and stayed afloat (thanks to my PFD). Thanks to my rescue classes, I would have been able to right the boat, get back in, pump it out, and get to shore. I was in dry pants and dry top, with my very snug spray skirt that makes the combo almost like a dry suit, so if I'd been in the cold water long, I probably would have been OK.

But I'm not resting on my laurels. My experience in very stiff wind and large waves last summer on English Bay showed me that I need a roll if I can get one. So I'm taking one-on-one WW instruction in June, because that's where you can find the good instructors around here.

I'm "older," I guess (early 50s), female, and not terribly risk-averse. But I'm also not stupid! :)

Paws, I wish everyone I paddle with had your wisdom.

When you take that rolling class, you are not lifting yourself out of the water; you are bringing the boat under you and using it's flotation. Once you get it, it is actually fun. Really. Honestly. It sort of triggers ancient otter DNA. The most common mistake is lifting your head out first. I'm sure your instructor will explain all that.

Bluenose said:
... I was also surprised that 42% of Ontarians owned a recreational water craft. Way ahead of any other province. PEI was only 0.2%, and it's an island. Go figure.
I'll guess it's a flat water vs. ocean thing. I recently bought a 20' powerboat that had been sitting in a driveway on the east coast of Vancouver Island for 6 years because the owner was scared to take it out in the Strait of Georgia. He moved here from Kootenay Lake where he used it every weekend.

I thought it was bizarre, when I launched from the sailboat marina on my little lake the other day, that NO SAILBOATS WERE OUT. It was windy--a perfect day for sailing. The marina was dead, with dozens of boats just moored and lonely. When do people sail the expensive things if not on a day like that???

Regarding recreational boating fatalities, Canada seems to parallel the US. Alcohol, PFD non-use, and cold water kill most. In Canada 88% of those killed had no PFD. Over 90% of deaths are men. Those most likely not to wear a PFD are non-swimmers. Wow! The deadliest craft is the small aluminium boat with an outboard.

Here's a tale for ya. I follow a well-known author whose books I enjoy. Thanks to me (and others like me), he was able to quit his day job and buy a large and beautiful sailboat. He's very experienced--crewed sailboats for many years before settling down. He's going around the world, gradually.

Here's the thing: He WILL NOT WEAR A PFD. And he will not wear a tether in bad weather. He often has a crew, but he sometimes does not. He's done more than a few crossings in dicey weather and at night. No tether and no PFD. His explanation: if he goes over when alone, he's dead anyway. I don't see that at all--if he's wearing a PFD and a tether, he could possibly pull himself back to the boat. Without, he has no chance at all. And when he has a crew, he's making it harder for them to rescue him! He's totally lighthearted about the whole thing--if he goes over that means it was "his time."

This made me so angry I've lost some respect for him. I just don't understand this attitude.

pawsplus said:
Here's a tale for ya. I follow a well-known author whose books I enjoy. Thanks to me (and others like me), he was able to quit his day job and buy a large and beautiful sailboat. He's very experienced--crewed sailboats for many years before settling down. He's going around the world, gradually.

Here's the thing: He WILL NOT WEAR A PFD. And he will not wear a tether in bad weather. He often has a crew, but he sometimes does not. He's done more than a few crossings in dicey weather and at night. No tether and no PFD. His explanation: if he goes over when alone, he's dead anyway. I don't see that at all--if he's wearing a PFD and a tether, he could possibly pull himself back to the boat. Without, he has no chance at all. And when he has a crew, he's making it harder for them to rescue him! He's totally lighthearted about the whole thing--if he goes over that means it was "his time."

This made me so angry I've lost some respect for him. I just don't understand this attitude.

I have a few questions for ya if you don't mind :)

Who is this author and what books have you read? They sound interesting

I don't want to sound confrontational but I've been meaning to ask the following question of folks for sometime because I see similar incidences posted regularly on this board and others:
Why are you so angry when people you don't know (like the author, I assume) don't wear the pfd or other safety gear? I have been puzzled by this in the past so thought now would be a good time to bring it up.
Personally, I don't care if other people I don't know choose not to use safety equipment and would never suggest to them that they do. Exceptions might be people who appear handicapped and would obviously be in trouble quickly or maybe children.
This same lack of concern would not apply to people I know. Then I may or may not say something depending on their skill level or the conditions.

For me--I do kinda know this author, because I've followed his trips and his progress. I also want to keep reading new books he writes, which would be hard if he's dead.

More than that, when you fail to take reasonable safety precautions, you are a drain on the rest of us. You suck up valuable resources when the Coast Guard, or the police, or whomever have to rescue you. You owe it to the common weal to be careful, IMHO.

For me, the issue has to do with example. It comes up often in solo rock climbing. If someone wants to climb solo - no rope, no protection - that's up them (and what ever family they may leave behind) but when it gets publicized - like it's the next cool thing to do - that winces me a bit.

A persons I bike with occasional won't were a bike helmet (messes with her hair) if she is just on neighborhood streets - in fairness, she does wear it on more trafficked roads but local kids still see her without her helmet in the neighborhood. As she doesn't stop at stop signs if there is clear visibility.

So it is one thing to "live your own life", "do your own thing", etc. but for some, there's a sense of responsibility that their actions teach others. And it doesn't have to be "be afraid of everything". The "teaching" can be to go beyond fears, take risks, etc. But there are risks and there are risks.

Yes--example is everything. Until just a few years ago, it was common for dressage riders to never wear helmets unless showing (where they were required at lower levels, but not FEI classes, where tophats were worn). We don't jump, so people convinced themselves that it was "safe" to ride bare, and you simply NEVER saw a pro in a helmet. There was an implicit suggestion that if you wore a helmet, it was because you weren't a good rider. I have worn one for years, because I'm very fond of my brain, but I was in the minority.

Then an internationally known rider (wearing no helmet) had a TBI when the horse she was riding tripped. She recovered enough to be able to speak ( garbled) and to walk (with difficulty). She can no longer ride. Suddenly everyone was talking about helmets. Within 3 years, helmets were required in ALL classes, including FEI level (at shows governed by the national org, anyway, although not those governed by international rules), and tophats were a thing of the past. Dressage magazines will now not publish pix of riders who are not wearing helmets. Pros are criticized online for not wearing them. The mere fact that we now see the big riders in helmets--in the mags, online, at the shows--has done what nothing else could have. It has made wearing helmets cool and NORMAL. In fact, while helmets are not required at international comps, peer pressure has worked there too, to the point where helmets are now more common than tophats. 3 years ago, you would never have seen that. Never.

So yeah--if people see paddlers they respect following safety rules, THEY are more likely to do it. If they see them ignoring them, they will too. We're herd animals, basically.

Illustrative example, helmet acceptance in dressage. Damn hard to understand any resistance in that venue.

Somewhat related, perhaps: An ER doc buddy always refers to nonhelmeted motorcycle casualties arriving in the ER as "organ donors." Greg is a very sardonic guy, but perhaps his take extracts an element of usefulness from the insanity of not wearing a helmet while riding ... flat freaking anything.

OTOH, the sailor who refuses a tether is really a differently mixed message. If he goes in the drink and sinks, no rescue is needed. Recovery, much later, yes, when conditions are more benign. On a tether, rescue is not guaranteed at all, but attempts are assured, which endanger those trying to pull him back, because those attempts must be made in the same conditions that put him over. I have been on a pitching deck in conditions in which I would NOT have endangered myself trying to find or pull aboard a noncooperative, likely dead body.

It is a brutal calculus, but one common to other extreme risk pursuits. On extreme high angle ice with no anchors possible, climbers do NOT rope up for the reason that the rope ensures two will fall and die if one slips. Solo, only one goes, and only one dies. Yeah, I question the sanity of those who would try climbs they can not protect from falls, and the sanity of sailors who would put their vessel in conditions where a rescue of a tethered, floundering swimmer endangers all. BUT, sometimes you get stuck in those situations when nature dictates it.

I guess Nootka's risk assessment tenet as the only rule that really counts applies in these situations: if the risk is too great, then just don't go.

designer said:
So it is one thing to "live your own life", "do your own thing", etc. but for some, there's a sense of responsibility that their actions teach others. And it doesn't have to be "be afraid of everything". The "teaching" can be to go beyond fears, take risks, etc. But there are risks and there are risks.

Examples have influence, but one "teaching" that parents and self-appointed guardians of other people often forget is this: Just because someone else is doing it doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Independent thinking is part of evaluating risk, whichever side of the safety line you are looking at.

designer said:
A persons I bike with occasional won't were a bike helmet (messes with her hair) if she is just on neighborhood streets - in fairness, she does wear it on more trafficked roads but local kids still see her without her helmet in the neighborhood. As she doesn't stop at stop signs if there is clear visibility.
As someone who actively advocates for safer cycling, I am against mandatory bike helmet use. Many studies have been conducted that prove bicycle helmets do not provide adequate protection in a collision with an automobile. What keeps cyclists safe is adequately designed, safe, infrastructure. Do you realize you are much more likely to receive a leg or arm injury on a bicycle than a head injury? Do you realize that you're much more likely to receive a head injury in an automobile crash - yet we are not required to wear helmets when driving a car?

I also don't stop completely at stop signs if the way is clear.

Bottom line is that bicycle helmet use is not the best example for you to state your case with.

Amazing how many people died from falls and when the boat was tied up.
How did bike helmets get into this string, but here goes my 2 cents on them?
Bike helmets provide some head protection in low speed crashes. If a bike goes out from under you it only takes .25 of a second before your head can hit the ground. That is not a lot of time to react.
I have had my noggin saved 2 times by a helmet.

Roy

My brother had a car turn into him when on his bike years ago, and the end result was a helmet dented in at least an inch and my brother fine. Pretty sure that without it, he'd be dead or a vegetable. I very much believe that helmets should be mandatory for riding bikes, motorcycles, horses, ATVs, etc., and PFDs should be mandatory for boating.

Back to kayaking. This past weekend eleven of us went for a paddle in incredibly benign conditions. The day was amazingly calm for this time of year. All of us were in dry suits, PFDs, and carried all necessary safety gear. We were out all day and the water was glass flat. This group of paddlers is very experienced and there was never a notion to not ware the gear. No one complained of an uncomfortable PFD, or that they were too hot. It's built into our paddling DNA and we never think about not using it.

In Nova Scotia last year, I think there were three kayak fatalities. All were very inexperienced paddlers. All had no PFD. Alcohol was involved in at least one. All the public hears in the news is, KAYAK and DEATH. It does impact the public perception of our wonderful pastime. As sad as this is, I don't think we can legislate against stupidity. Even with stringent laws, people will break them, and I know here it's almost impossible to enforce.

I'm not sure we can stop the death of a person in a Pelican boat at 1:00am on a warm water lake after having six beer. I can't remember the last time an experienced, properly kitted out kayaker died here.

Back