• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

New member signing in. Looking for advice.

Nomad

Hi, I recently found this community and wanted to introduce myself. New to the hobby and looking forward to awesome discussions about surfing and touring.

Im in the market for a used kayak and found a Tahe Marine Greenland and a NDK Greenlander. Would like some advice on which kayak would be best suited to rough conditions like surfing, open seas and improving my growth in the sport. :cool

Welcome!
Nomad said:
I'm in the market for a used kayak and found a Tahe Marine Greenland and a NDK Greenlander. Would like some advice on which kayak would be best suited to rough conditions like surfing, open seas and improving my growth in the sport.

Do you mean: Which of those two kayaks would be better for your purposes?
Or, are you looking for more general suggestions?

Trying to decide which of these two kayaks would be best for rough water and touring. Ive heard mixed reviews about the Tahes stability and dont know much about the NDK.

I have a friend in Vancouver who might be interested in selling his Mariner Express.
IMO, the Express would be a better choice for rough water, surfing and tripping than a 'Greenland-style' boat.
http://www.marinerkayaks.com/

I have a Romany for sale, which would be a good choice for rough conditions, taking classes/leaning skills, and rolling.
http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7963

But, there are lots of boats out there- you don't need to grab something quickly...take your time and get advice and paddle as many boats as you can. One strategy is to take some classes with an instructor who will supply a boat.

I'm the guy with the Mariner Express for sale..

If you're fairly new to paddling, I'm not sure that I'd recommend either the Tahe or the NDK greenlander.. My opinion is the relative lack of stability will slow your progression down quite a bit.. Although they'll be super easy to roll!

If you're into surfing and moving waters, a Romany would be a fantastic choice. They're very forgiving and just all around fun boats to paddle :)

If you're in Vancouver and want to give the Mariner Express a try, send me a message.. It's quirky and also might not be the most beginner friendly boat, but.. Who knows!

tiagosantos said:
If you're into surfing and moving waters, a Romany would be a fantastic choice. They're very forgiving and just all around fun boats to paddle :)
+1 on tiagosanto's recommendation on the Romany.

I am not a Romany owner but I do paddle rough water/surf/tour with guys that do. From your stated goals, an NDK Romany is a solid kayak and (I think) should be on your shortlist of kayaks to consider.

Nomad,

What do you mean by "new to the hobby?"
Are you a complete beginner?
Are you a motivated and athletic beginner?
Are you an experienced whitewater paddler?
What brought you to the decision on those two kayaks? Did you try each and fall in love and can't decide?

I am with Semdoug in thinking we need to understand where you are at as a paddler (skill level, experience, etc), where and types of paddles you currently do, and where you want to take your paddling over time.

That said, the Greenland style boats you mention generally would not be good first boats.

Could also be good to know your body size, shoe size, etc.

Thanks for your advice. I found a used NDK Romany. I look forward to paddling with it for a long time. :D

Nomad said:
Thanks for your advice. I found a used NDK Romany. I look forward to paddling with it for a long time. :D

I am glad to read that your problem was solved! I wish you all the best!

Don't buy anything right away demo and then rent the ones you find appealing it is impossible for anyone here to find a boat to fill your needs there are to many variables ie fit, type, stability, weight, portability, durability ect ect.

Yaketyak said:
Don't buy anything right away demo and then rent the ones you find appealing it is impossible for anyone here to find a boat to fill your needs there are to many variables ie fit, type, stability, weight, portability, durability ect ect.

Too late (see three posts up)

Yeti said:
Yaketyak said:

Too late (see three posts up)
woops nice choice =-))

Back