• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Overnight parking for Discovery Island

benson

Paddler
Heading over to the Gulf Islands in mid September and planning for a couple of nights at Discovery Island. I was hoping for current info on nearby overnight parking in the Oak Bay area? Just one vehicle at this point.

Thanks, Jim

In the past, I have used Cattle Point for parking on two overnight trips to Discovery Island without issue.

As far as currents go, Baynes Channel is 15 minutes ahead and 75% of Race Passage. Here is the 2016 current table:
http://www.tides.gc.ca/eng/data/table/2 ... r_ref/1200

For example:
This afternoon's ebb at Race Passage (August 29th) is showing slack at 2:51PM and a max ebb at 7:00 PM at 4.0 knots. Add an hour for Daylight Savings Time means at Race Passage, slack is at 3:51PM and max is at 8PM. At Baynes, slack will be (roughly) at 3:36 PST, max will be at 7:45PM and will be running at 3 knots. For a paddle craft, 3 knots can be significant in this area, especially if wind an tide begin to stack the waves up.

The weather station on Discovery Island (the lighthouse) sits in the lee of a westerly wind. It is best to use all available weather information sources to gauge wind in this area. For reference, I personally include automated reports from Race Rocks (14NM west of Discovery), Victoria Gonzales and Kelp Reef (Environment Canada) and Smith Island from NOAA to get a picture of what the wind is doing out there. Trial Island reports weather too (wind, wave height and visibility) but Lighthouse Weather Reports are less frequently updated.

Cheers,

Street parking on Beach Dr. at Oak Bay Marina is no issue.
another option is launch at Smugglers cove (Cadboro Pt) street parking on McAnally Rd.
I've parked overnight both places.
Lanny

Back