• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Freya Hoffmeister

Bluenose

Paddler
Anyone planning to get a glimpse of Freya paddling north on her North American circumnavigation? I believe she is now in Canadian waters.

Follow her on FaceBook to track movement. She makes occasional progress reports, and has sent out a plea for assistance with supply points.

Last report a few days ago placed her near Port Renfrew. At a clip of about 25 miles / 40 km per day, she should be in Clayoquot Sound or a bit north of there by now.

I have been following Freya's blog (http://freyahoffmeister.com/posts/) Really looking forward to reading her posts as she heads up Vancouver Island into areas that I have kayaked. Here's hoping she has great weather and a safe journey.

Lila

Yesterday she was just short of the Nitinat River, below Pachena Bay about a day. Probably in Tofino in a couple more days.

My earlier estimate was too optimistic.

It was pretty windy today on the west coast of the island but I am sure that for Freya it was just a light breeze!! :lol: Looks like tomorrow will be a good paddle day for her.

Marine Forecast
Winds Issued 04:00 PM PDT 02 April 2017
Tonight and Monday
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 25 to 35 knots diminishing to northwest 20 early this evening and to northwest 15 after midnight. Wind diminishing to light early Monday morning except southeast 15 near the coast. Wind becoming southeast 10 to 20 Monday afternoon except southeast 25 northwest of Estevan Point Monday evening.

Lila

Astoriadave said:
then hit Ucluelet for a repair of her boat, other necessaries.
Repairs in Victoria, repairs on the beach, repairs in Ucluelet.... it could get tedious.
Sounds like Lettman didn't do a very good job on her boat, or perhaps she's using an end-of-stock Point65?
I noticed on her webpage that she says Point65 has stopped making glass boats? (no more 'layup boats')

I found it interesting (very) how cautious she was about the (lack of) stopping places along Juan de Fuca and up to Barkley Sound. Something to keep in mind!

John wrote: I found it interesting (very) how cautious she was about the (lack of) stopping places along Juan de Fuca and up to Barkley Sound. Something to keep in mind!
Ditto.
Reading between the lines, she had done her homework consulting knowledgeable sources, and made best use of cove ends, etc., to get on/off with minimal strain on her boat. And, finessed Cape Beale in lieu of slaloming boomers. She is deliberate, and avoids incalcuable risks. Surf height seems to be her main risk of concern.

it is illuminating to observe/read her analysis and risk triggers over waters where I have some feel for what she is facing, and what info she regards as important each day. Zero bragadoccio (sp?) and lots of deliberate, careful assessment.

She just hit Tofino last night. I expect she will head out Monday. The heavy swell conditions, mixed with periods of high winds, last week slowed her considerably, along with a hull repair. Hit her blog for more. It appears she is now able to post photos as she goes.

I really enjoy reading the blog and following along from my figurative armchair.

I suspect the photo posting is related to her being at J.F & Justine's place and having access to data, plus a bit of time.

Bryan

I'll be curious to see tomorrow's report and whether Perez Rocks was kind to them.

Astoriadave said:
chodups said:
I'll be curious to see tomorrow's report and whether Perez Rocks was kind to them.
Jon, et. al.: Not getting updates to her blog. Problem on my end or hers?

Hey Dave... I show her last post as Tues 11/04 from Homais Cove... not sure why there hasn't been another post since then. I hope all is well. Maybe they are just having too much fun to be posting updates!!

Lila

Are you seeing the updates now? I got caught up on my reading yesterday but I hadn't checked in for several days so didn't notice any delays in the posts at http://freyahoffmeister.com/posts/

Also, I like to play around with maps, so I created this to follow her progress: https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... 179775&z=7

[gmap]https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/embed?mid=1B7IfE-_DWQK_k582ETsWf6M_D-Y[/gmap]
I'll update it as time allows and I feel inclined.

Bryan

Back