• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Paddling all of the West Coast

Outsider

Paddler
I would like to meet a skilled and experienced paddler who would be interested in paddling the outer coast from the south of Vancouver Island up to Alaska next summer.
I have paddled almost all of the outer coast of the Island as well as some of the central coast.
I prefer high summer when the weather is best. Easy pace. Not a race.

Outsider

outsider what type of time frame are you thinking on this trip. this is something ive always wanted to do.

OK.

Not everyone is ready for a trip to Alaska.
I get that. That's why I am checking it out so well in advance.
I want to go next summer or a summer after that or the summer after that...
It's a long trip and, depending on the destination, would be anywhere from 2 to 4 months.

So,

Next summer, I would also like to finish a trip that I did last summer. I paddled solo but didn't do the last half because I need a partner to do it with. Just to be safe.

I want to drive up to Port Hardy and take the kayaks and gear on the Northern Explorer up to Bella Bella.
From there, paddle down the channels to Hakai, Calvert Island and back to Port Hardy.
Maybe go inland a bit across Fitz Hugh Sound and check out the Big Bears that are there and the magnificent beaches on the top of Calvert Island. Take some photos.

At most a couple of weeks. Maybe less.

Is this more interesting to the adventurous and experienced paddler?

Outsider

Hi Outsider
i am wondering where you are up to with this adventure
I could be interested. I am NZ based. I am planning to paddle this year over that way. Currently I am not yet sorted for kit and gear over there, but planning to base some in Port Hardy, as plan to come back for a few seasons. I like really exploring, photography etc. I had very short taster paddle last August I haven't decided how i want to do it and have some feelers out in NZ for people interested. But it has been on my radar for some time

I will be paddling later part of june kitimat and rupert area.If you think that you might be in those part let me know we could try to meet somewhere in this vast wilderness. ...sergedr@hotmail.com Salut,Serge

Hello Outsider, michaelmrc, Adamandhisdog et al.

Two of us are paddling from Bella Bella to Prince Rupert in July 2017 and are looking for another trip mate or two.

Please see our post here for more information: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8296

Hey there,

Not sure where you are in your planning/adventures.
I am taking 12 weeks off next in 2018 from mid - May through first week into August to Kayak the West Coast. I'd ideally like to start at some point in Sunshine Coast or anywhere Vancouver Island and make my way up to Prince Rupert. I'm experienced and have been kayaking the West Coast for roughly 13 years. Lemme know if this matches up at all with where your plans are. Thanks!

My partner and I are also planning a trip next summer in the Bella Bella region, however, we plan on returning to Bella Bella. I am wondering if we need more than a VHF radio for emergencies once we are away from Bella Bella. Any information on this would be appreciated.

Anywhere past Bella Bella/Shearwater, the mid coast is a big, lonely area.

What's your comfort level? I wouldn't consider it a safe practice to rely solely on a VHF - if something goes wrong, REALLY wrong, do you want to rely on a 5-watt handheld VHF to try to raise help?

I'd go with two forms of communication; a VHF plus either sat phone/EPIRB/spot.

Would a VHF be enough to get by on? Probably....but would it be enough if something went catastrophically wrong? Ah, now that's a different equation!

I spent a week this summer around Nuchatlitz Inlet; we picked up a sat phone in Campbell River on the way up; it cost $75 for the week, with two quick check-in calls. Even if we never used it, it's a ridiculously cheap insurance package, IMO. It's nice to know that help is a phone call away, if needed.

With sat phone rentals so cheap, it's not a question of should you bring one, the question is why would you not?

Last edited:
Summer 2018! From the Vancouver to Alaska.
I'll check this thread again before heading out, but otherwise contact me by phone or email given above.

Back