• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Vickers Creek on Pitt Lake

jefffski

Paddler
Does anyone know if there is a dry and flat spot to camp on at Vickers Creek at the top end of Pitt Lake? I'm guessing it's all flooded now.

thx

The river will and has wandered over time, but theres such a huge flat delta down there, that there's got to be something to be found in amongst the trees IF the 2 typical sites are not usable. It does look like even the south site has various options.
VickersCk-view.jpg

VickersCk-south-upland2b.jpg

Not the roomiest place to camp as there are tons of logs on the beach but usually there's a spot for one or two tents at each end. I've occasionally seen people camping at a couple spots up along the creek bed.

I suspect you're correct at the moment regarding flooding but it might be accessible. Don't forget that the lake is also tidal, so you might arrive to a suitable beach that disappears at high tide.

There are a few photos of Vickers Creek area in a trip report that I wrote nearly ten years ago:

http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/com...dies-pitt-lake-perusal-august-2008-long.2197/

Pitt Lake is my favourite of the Lower Mainland lakes to paddle in the off season.

The river will and has wandered over time, but theres such a huge flat delta down there, that there's got to be something to be found in amongst the trees IF the 2 typical sites are not usable. It does look like even the south site has various options.
I don't know, Mick. While the delta is fairly big, it's not huge -- and there's a lot of debris strewn along it. Most of the delta has been shaped by the river in such a way that there are very few flat locations and it's rather hit and miss at the best of times for tent spots. Probably not much in the trees either as it's really dense there.

At the moment, I'd be a bit nervous camping at this location considering the current flooding but if I got there and it didn't look good, it's not that far to the top of the lake or back to Osprey Creek.

We camped among the trees in a nice spot a little ways up the creek a couple of years ago, (it was a drag --literally--getting our canoe up there) but I would think that it's under water now. What's available at the top of the lake?

Back