• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Cranstown Point Cabin

chodups

Paddler
Denis Dwyer just posted this on the Inside Passage Facebook site:

I received the following email from fellow paddler Glenn Lewis announcing the location of a new cabin that he took part in constructing along the BC coast at Cranstown Point near Rivers Inlet. This is an excellent location for a paddlers cabin and is sure to be a welcome overnight stopping point for Inside Passage Sea Kayakers for many years to come. Photos of the cabin and its location will be added to this post as soon as possible. Let me be the first here to thank Glenn and his group of friends for their enormous effort to build this cabin which is sure to be a welcome stopping point for weary paddlers far into the future.
The coordinates of the cabin are 51.367427 X -127.775895 (N51°22.045 X W127°46.553)
I’ll let Glenn describe the cabin in his own words.

Hi Denis
I have just returned from being part of a group which built a shelter primarily for paddlers at Cranstown Pt. This is the south entrance to Rivers Inlet and a place where virtually all paddlers making their way north or south between Alaska and Washington will stop.
We transported a prefab building via water taxi and it took a week to put up. The shelter is relatively small at 10’x12’ but it is well built with a metal roof, plywood walls, four 3’ x 6’ windows, a fireplace and a generous supply of wood. It is about halfway to Alaska from Bellingham.
The idea was to create a place where paddlers could rest, dry out if need be and recharge a bit. The bunks are 41” wide so can hold two if need be for a total of sleeping space for 4. We had 6 tents set up for the construction and there is plenty of good upland camping. We built a steel roofed outhouse.
What we have done is build a refuge as a way of giving back, at a time when our open water paddling careers are coming to an end. When we left we considered that the shelter now belonged to those who could use it.
I don’t follow social media much but I understand you may have a page that promotes the inside passage route and shares information. I would be grateful if you would add something about the shelter.
Access is possible from Open Bight but it is better to land on the SW facing beach on the other side. That beach is accessible without much surf, if any, when paddlers are likely to be out. The trail to the shelter is toward the east end of the south facing beach. I am not in the habit of taking photos but several others have many and if you are willing to spread the word of this new paddlers asset, I will try to get a few images to you from the others.
Glenn Lewis

Thanks Jon for the heads up, I'm not on FB and would not have seen this otherwise. A special thanks to all those who helped in the construction of the cabin!

I was cross checking this with the bc marine trails map, and it looks like they have already included the presence of the paddler-provided small cabin with the information for Open Bight (Cranstown North).

I was cross checking this with the bc marine trails map, and it looks like they have already included the presence of the paddler-provided small cabin with the information for Open Bight (Cranstown North).

That is amazingly fast for BCMTA. There must not be any controversy around use of this site. They are very responsible with what they post. Kudos to BCMTA.

Last edited:
That is amazingly fast for BCMTA. There must not be any controversy around use of this site. Kudos to BCMTA.

I don't think the BCMTNA has done anything other than note on the website that the cabin is now there. We have not made any contact with anyone about this occurrence. The first time that we discussed the cabin amongst us was the result of chodup's [jon's] first post here.

In general [without specific internal or open discussion], the BCMTNA is only for built form that is required to keep a site sustainable AND that has met approval by site stakeholders. As of right now, we do not know if that has happened.

Speaking as an individual, I have come to the point of view that it is too provocative to build any cabins on any 'crown' or 'public' site - period. The reason for this is that others love to build stuff and that by people building stuff the very people that you don't want to build stuff just might like to really build stuff. This is not an idle conclusion.

Let's keep the illusion of the wilderness as long as we can. It's very precious and can easily be lost forever.

Last edited:
Back