• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Kayak suggestions for petite women

Which boats have you paddled or looked at 'in person'

Unfortunately few of these kayaks were available to try locally, but the Avocet LV was taken out. It was very manueverable but ultimately too small for a multiday trip plus there were poor joins between the bulkheads so that was a no-go. Others were tried that are not on this list (Boreal Eclipse, Karla, Prana LV, Sisu LV) but so far didn't feel like the right fit to justify the money - at least not yet.

Fortunately, we both have boats: a Boreal Design Ellesmere and a Seaward Cosma but it's the latter that we're looking to replace for a few reasons. We've had ample paddle opps around the Gulf Islands, Cowichan, Brentwood Bay, etc. We're certainly not suffering from lack of getting out, but just wanting to fine tune the boat choice.

Fortunately, we both have boats: a Boreal Design Ellesmere and a Seaward Cosma but it's the latter that we're looking to replace for a few reasons.
What don't you like about the Cosma? It sounds fairly close to some of the other boats you are interested in.
We've had ample paddle opps around the Gulf Islands, Cowichan, Brentwood Bay, etc. We're certainly not suffering from lack of getting out, but just wanting to fine tune the boat choice.
That's good to hear! We've had some very nice days for paddling.
:)
The combination of requirements for biggish tripping volume and low volume playfulness will be tough to find, I think.

Leon Somme tried to put stowage volume into perspective for me when he agreed that the Romany didn't have a lot of stowage space : "Just about the same as TWO large backpacks!" :)

The Cosma was a good boat to start with but ultimately not made for her as it's too wide, meant for much heavier paddlers. She often doesn't use the rudder and is ready for a more rigid, narrower boat with a skeg. She's a natural at rolling so she curious to try some surfing but we still want to do 4-5 day trips. It's a challenging combo but not impossible as I know my boat is good at both. We just have to be patient (or get rich!)

Good to note about the Romany, as the LV was nearly on our list.

Just did a 5 day trip and the friend I was with paddled a Current designs Kestrel.
I wouldn't recommend the boat, but the point is it was only 14' long and he was fully independent in it so I'm sure a lot of the sportier boats could carry enough gear for a short trip like that. We ran across a group that had been out for longer than us and most of them were in Romanies and not sharing tents...
I'm looking forward to doing some trips in my Coaster which is only 13.5'. It will take a bit of adjustment in my camping style, but not too much. :)

I'm looking forward to doing some trips in my Coaster which is only 13.5'. It will take a bit of adjustment in my camping style, but not too much. :)
'Mariner Chuck' (Chuck Curry?) did a 2 week trip on the WA coast in his Coaster.
See:
http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/community/threads/olympic-national-park-coast-tour.5249/#post-67584
BTW, if anybody can find a usable link to the pictures and videos that Chuck linked to (in his Picasa account), it would be excellent. Internet guru needed!

I had my Coaster loaded up for a week+ trip a couple of years ago and it handled just fine.

Last edited:
For people who take a 'backpacking attitude' to kayak camping (with water added to the usual packing list) almost any kayak will be plenty big.
For those of us who have a 'canoe camping' model in mind - Helinox chair, rubber boots and hiking boots and Crocs, perhaps a frypan, throw in that cabbage and the bag of lemons and apples, a tarp for over the tent and a tarp for over the dining area, tarp poles, folding washpan for the dishes, Thermos, coffee press, etc etc- it's more difficult to squeeze everything into a 'smaller boat' !!

> it's more difficult to squeeze everything into a 'smaller boat' !!

Unless it's a Mariner!

Note to other boat owners - please forgive the almost cult like praise. Some of us have searched far and wide, waited years, etc. to find the boat with characteristics that match our style. So the praise is more an expression of celebration than it is "boat comparison".

I'll admit, I look at that low flat rear deck on something like a TideRacer and almost - almost - have a twinge of desire.

But I could easily go out for a week in the Express (next step up from Coaster) - and that includes the Helinox chair.

My back appreciates my new Helinox so I will have to find a way to take it. Less chocolate perhaps...

Can't believe I missed this thread! Pilgrim or Pilgrim Expedition! I have the latter and it's WONDERFUL. Small cockpit, narrow, very agile. The knee bumps allow me to stretch my legs out a bit for forward paddling and snug them up into the bumps if I'm in conditions and need control and possibly to roll. I feel very tight and safe in this boat, and I slosh around in a lot of boats. I definitely recommend getting a test paddle in one if you can!

Can't believe I missed this thread! Pilgrim or Pilgrim Expedition!

Thanks PawPlus for reminding me of the SKUK / NDK kayaks. After some research, we are going to Blue Dog Kayaking up in Mill Bay hopefully this weekend to try those and the Echo out. I'm also curious to try the Romany Classic and if they have one, a Latitude.

Our choices eventually narrowed down to three boats; a Capella 161, the SKUK Pilgrim and the Valley Sirona 15-10 but the final winner seems to be the Capella. Thank you, everyone, for your input and suggestions. Hopefully this thread will help others.
capella-161-original.jpg

Back