• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Sterling's Progression or Reflection

The best kayak for advanced greenland rolls isn't a surfing kayak.
A skin on frame kayak weighs less than a surfing kayak.
A kayak with a rudder is easier to sail than a kayak with a skeg.
A surfing kayak with lots of rocker is going to be slower than one with less rocker.
So it is easy to have more than one kayak. IMHO almost essential.

Well put, Nootka. Even the "best" kayak design is going to do some things better than others; there are ALWAYS trade-offs when it comes to boat design and construction.

I'm sure we could add to your list, as well. For example, I have found that a maneuverable ruddered-kayak can surf wind waves far better than a skeg boat. Why? Because the waves are seldom going exactly in the direction you're headed. With a rudder, I can ride a wave until it's spent, cut hard right or left to correct my course (all the while watching for another good wave set over my shoulder), and when the next good wave appears, I can spin the boat to catch another ride. This results in kind of a zig-zag path of travel that is, apparently, super fast. (I only say that because I always have to stop paddling to wait for the skeg boats to catch up! :))

The story I heard was that the predecessor of the Reflection surfed better backwards than forwards, so Sterling molded two stern sections and stuck them together - thus the 'Reflection' name. That may all be a legend, though....
I never heard where the idea came from

The name idea came from one part of a larger conversation that Reg and I were having at the time:

100527 Reg Lake [cut] Lots of fun projects going on as usual and nothing moving really fast [cut]. The most exciting thing is a symetrical kayak I am building from two Grand Illusion Sterns.[cut]

100528 mick allen [cut] And that Reflective Illusion looks just great! What a neat idea.[cut]

100529 Reg Lake [cut] The new kayak is closed up and I will be getting in some more test paddles with it now. I had been thinking about palindrone type names but I really like your reflective description and may use a variation on that as a name if you don't mind. As in REFLECT, REFLECTION, or REFLECTIVE. [cut]

100531 mick allen [cut] And use any name variation that you want – I’d be flattered. [cut]

100601 Reg Lake [cut] I am really liking the name "REFLECTION" and will probably go with it. Thanks a bunch. It fits with the Illusion theme. [cut]

View attachment 7694

No worries. I guess I’m a bit of a Sterling fanboy. So my reasoning for the obsolete comment.
I have the Grand Illusion as well as the following boats so my observations. Tracks like the Tempest but plays like the Romany. It’s 3 feet longer than the Stratos but just as easy to handle off the water and as an added bonus it’s only 47 pounds and that’s the standard layup not the Carbon which shaves off another. 5-7 pounds.

The glass weave is Boeing airplane grade so much stronger than anything else available. As an added bonus you can just call Sterling the owner and arrange a time to tour the shop, discuss your build options, get a full explanation as to building methods and features plus a world class artist that can finish your boat any way you an imagine.

The only downside is coin. You could buy 2-3 good used boats for the same money. That being said, there’s the old adage that says just buy your last boat first and be done with it.

I like the metal sculpture in the background. Did you build it yourself?

Good pickoff 'Man in qajaq' . . . yah NWimport tell us more about this:

zz-sculpture.jpg

I believe that was made by a Sterling lover from tools that burnt up in the fire.

I would mount that over the front door or behind the front desk or something similar. A simplification might make a great logo too!

Back