• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

Sunshine Coast paddling trip 2020

Hairygrump

Hi, new here, spent a bit of time browsing the forums but theres a ton of info to wade thru so I would like to ask you guys for some input on a trip that I'm planning with my family for next August.
We are planning on making the trip out to Powell River and Sechelt from Calgary to do some day trips. We would have a week to paddle so overnight trips are out of the question for now. I am a fairly strong paddler with a bit of open water experience but my wife and daughter are not. Though both are pretty comfortable paddling whitewater and the resevoirs and lakes that we have here in the Rockies. We're looking at staying in the sheltered waters of Okeover inlet and Sechelt Inlet. I'm specifically looking for camping areas that we can use as a base near there, and destinations that we can paddle to in about a half day or less. Ideally, if there are any areas where we can land and explore shorelines, tidepools, etc, view some marine wildlife, or even do a bit of snorkelling, that info would be very welcome. Thanks in advance for any info or suggestions you guys can throw at me.

Al aka, the hairygrump

I don't really understand why are overnight trips out if you have a week.. but Thormanby islands are a favorite of mine for a day trip, especially nice if combined with Jedediah as a overnighter. Also Freil Falls/ Hotham Sound,but that may be better overnight.

That week encompasses travel, ferries, and a 9 year old. We're trying to keep it fairly light to avoid melt downs. If it was just me then it would be overnight trips. I will look up those locations, thanks

Given your parameters, car camping at Porpoise Bay outside of the town of Sechelt would give you good access to some day paddling on Sechelt Inlet, as well Thormanby, as Rider suggests. That's a couple of days right of the bat. On the upper Sunshine Coast, you camp at Saltery Bay and handrail along the north shore of Jervis Inlet. Then you could go to the campground at Okeover and paddle the inlet for a day, then the Copelands for a day. The Copeland Islands are probably the best destination for you, given your parameters, as they have decent snorkelling. They also make for a very doable short overnight trip, as long as the wind isn't too strong.

So that's 5-6 days right there. Add in a hike to Skookumchuck and you've got a week of fun.

Cheers,
Andrew

Not much current to speak of. There is current in Malaspina Inlet in the Josephine Islands near Hare Point.

Add in a hike to Skookumchuck and you've got a week of fun.

Checking out Skook is a must, especially if you come from a WW background. Witnessing the tidal bore at the peak is a wonder to see.

Launch at Tuwanek on Sechelt Inlet, just north of Sechelt (free parking). A 2 hour paddle on easy sheltered water (in the a.m.) to Nine mile beach. Paddle aroud there for a day or two.
Launch from Okeover. Parking does cost a few $. A two hour paddle on very sheltered water pretty much always, brings you to Feather Cove. Paddle around for a day or two.

Back