2 Kayakers rescued near Boat Harbour

Discussion in 'Paddling Safety' started by Reef, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Reef

Reef Paddler

From the Royal Canadian Search and Rescue facebook page.
    Boat Harbour is south of Nanaimo, north of Ladysmith on Vancouver Is. Anyone hear about what happened?

Attached Files:

2. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

I too would love to know more...

3. justincdst

justincdst Paddler

If you can get through the CBC news advertisement message this pretty much echoes what Reef said. They got lucky, I work with volunteer Rescue organizations and know first hand how long it can take sometimes to deploy a team. It goes to show how important some sort of exposure suit can be out here.
    http://www.cbc.ca/player/News/Canada/BC/ID/2330187754/

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

I hope we find out how they ended up in the water.

5. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

6. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

7. CRPaddler

CRPaddler Paddler

8. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

A good friend of mine lives directly adjacent to Round Island, where this incident occured. He also happens to be the owner / operator of an expedition kayak company for the last 23+ years (thats alot of days on the water!).

He was hiking on the shoreline on sunday when this incident occured. He saw the SAR boats in the area. His comment was "Georgeous and flat as a pancake" refering to the waters.

Having paddled this same body of water numerous times (50+ days), the photo shows the conditions to be fairly benign. While the area can get rough in SouthEast winds (especially against an Ebb), it certainly does not appear that way in the photo.

Considering the pair were in a Double kayak (difficult to capsize a double), they were likely 'fooling' around, leading to the accident (pure speculation).

I'd like to know the brand / model of the kayak...

9. Reef

Reef Paddler

Kinda looked like it was submerged in one of the photos. Recreational double without buoyancy?

10. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

It's not clear to me where they were found with respect to Round Island. If they were found on the Dodd Narrows side, one might conjecture that they were riding the ebb out of the narrows, capsized, and were flushed out toward Round Island. Max ebb was 5.9 kt at 10:48 that day. We'll likely never know. They are likely enjoying their anonymity.

11. cms82

cms82 Paddler

They were picked up south of Round Island, about a third of the way between Round Island and Boat Harbour. By their estimation, they had capsized about 20 minutes earlier and had decided to try to swim to Round Island (the distance to which they grossly under-estimated, particularly with the falling tide). They stayed with the overturned vessel, which in the end made identifying them much easier. The rescue vessels were given initial indication that the overturned vessel was much farther south than where the kayakers were actually found and were transiting quickly to that area when the boaters were located. It would have been very easy to drive right by them if they had not stayed with the overturned kayak. It's a good lesson in sticking with your boat and making yourself as big a target as possible (not to mention being able to pull yourself up onto the hull to help mitigate the effects of hypothermia).

12. drahcir

drahcir Paddler

Thanks for the clarification. Any input on what caused the capsize?

13. cms82

cms82 Paddler

I did not talk directly to the paddlers so I don't want to speculate but it seems that inexperience was the largest contributing factor.

14. Reef

Reef Paddler

I just confirmed the obvious with RCMSAR, and that is that the kayak had no bulkheads and was a small rec double.

15. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Sheesh...those things should be illegal.

16. cms82

cms82 Paddler

Certainly for ocean-going purposes. I confirmed tonight with the crew who was on board the Nanaimo vessel that it was a Pelican Pursuit.

(http://www.pelicansport.com/index.php?l ... =KDA14P101).

So hypothetically, you are getting ready to launch your boat for a nice (and well prepared) day trip and you see two guys launching one of these things in conditions you know aren't suitable for the boat. Do you say anything?

17. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Hard one...

You see someone getting on a bicycle without a helmet... do you say anything?

18. scott_f

scott_f Paddler

Not to change the topic, but I'm not convinced commuter biking without a helmet is any more dangerous. Obviously in a crash you are safer wearing a helmet, but some studies show you are more likely to be in a crash while wearing a helmet. It has been shown that motorists drive closer to cyclists wearing helmets. And mandatory helmets prevents cycle use which lowers infrastructure safety and driver awareness. The safest places in the world to ride have very low helmet use.

A kayak without bulkheads is certainly dangerous, but people oblivious to that fact likely couldn't do a self rescue in a boat with bulkheads anyways. You're probably still more likely to die driving to the launch site than on the water.

19. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

:yikes:

They should ban those "toys" from going anything further than 20' from a shoreline. I'm surprised we don't hear about more deaths in those (do I dare say) boats. Anyone here aware of any such stats?

You could, but you could also be told to mind your business (or worse) -- or -- someone might just thank you for the educational advice and stay off the water in such conditions unless they have a fully capable boat. Me? I'd likely say something but I'd try a friendly chat first approach with the person a bit to see where they're coming from before deciding to say something or not.

Totally with you on this.

20. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

After spending 3 weeks including some biking in Netherlands last June (where they estimate that over 40% of all commutes are done by bike), I have to agree 100%. Of course, they also virtually segregate bikes and low-power scooters (50cc?) from regular traffic and they have and enforce "get off and walk" zones, proper use of hand signals, and the use of bells and lights. The ONLY people I saw wearing helmets were the "Tour de France wannabes" on their club rides, and a few groups of (very) seniors out touring.

BTW, I sure wish someone would get serious about importing some of those Dutch bikes into Canada... they look funky but are supremely comfortable and easy to ride. They are heavy...but they glide with total ease. Put our most of our "head down, tail up", Asian built clunkers to complete shame.

Parking, Leiden University

Attached Files: