2009 WCP Spring Campout - photos, stories, and comments

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Apr 25, 2009.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

You people look like you're having way too much fun; are you certain that there's no tax on this?

2. sushiy

sushiy Paddler

It was just perfect weekend :D
    The weather couldn't have been better.

I enjoyed so much that I did not realize how much i was tired at the end. I spent all day on the couch today. It is time to clean those gears.

I don't know what to say, it was an amazing weekend.

Big hug to everyone :D

3. blondie

blondie Paddler

I concur. It was a great time seeing some familiar faces and lots of new ones. Too bad the weekend wasn't even longer!

Hey Maddie, was it you that brought those chocolate mint brownies? I'd love to have the recipe, they were sooo yummy! :D

4. Mark_Schilling

Mark_Schilling Paddler

I concur! I, too, would love for Blondie to have the recipe! :p :wink:

Great photos, Greg! Your sense of humour is also appreciated with some of those comments - great stuff! :lol:

5. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Waaaay jealous here of all the good eats, people, and times you guys had. Great photos -- they almost compensate for missing out!

6. Johan

Johan Paddler

THANK YOU ALL - for the warm welcome, great food and even better companionship. It was a truly wonderful weekend!

I couldn't have dreamed of a better way to kick off the paddling season :D

See you on the water!

7. Monster

Monster Paddler

Really sorry to have missed you guys this time, we actually made it all the way out to the ferry in Tawassen but found it full by the time we got there. All packed up and ready to go we scrambled for an alternative destination and ended up paddling the Squamish River instead.

Next time!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Too bad you didn't make it Monster, but it doesn't look like you had a bad time where you were. See you on the next one...

9. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Wow. That was one very fun trip. Thanks to everyone who showed up -- it was great to see everyone again and to meet some new people as well. Loads and loads of good paddling discussion and tons of humour and great comraderie. What a terrific bunch of people you all are. The potluck dinner was absolutely awesome -- it just gets better and better every year. And the weather -- well, it was nice to see that the Pavilion Tarp hardly got used this year.

While sorting through all the photos of the trip, it got me thinking of an aspect of the campout that I'd not considered before -- this trip is really a whole bunch of trip reports that overlap. Some of us started the trip on Thursday, others on Friday or Saturday. Some arrived early at the campsite and others camped on other islands before arriving on Friday. And when we left, we went off in many different directions with some extending the trip another night. I'm sure that all our GPS tracks would look rather interesting if all viewed together.

So as I'm sorting through photos, it comes to me that if I post all my photos of the trip, there will be a lot of them that are about the actual trip that Maddie, ebluethner (Elsa), and myself had -- which is cool and all but is far too many photos to include here in this discussion. So what I'm going to do is post the photos of around camp and a few photos of general interest from the trip in this discussion and I'll post a separate trip report for the trip that Maddie, Elsa, and I made to get to and from the campout. It would be interesting to hear trip reports from others based on the entire trip experience.

Thanks again to everyone who attended -- it truly was a fantastic weekend. And to those who weren't able to be there, we'll look forward to seeing you next year.

Here's a few of my photos -- more will be in the accompanying trip report...

The long arduous paddle to Beaumont campsite from Medicine Beach:
    [​IMG]

We were the first to arrive at the campsite on Thursday afternoon. Elsa and Maddie took advantage of the quiet, sunny day to relax on the beach a while before others started arriving:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Osprey at the campsite:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

SheilaP arrives and entertains us for a while:
    [​IMG]

The group from Kelowna arriving on Friday:
    [​IMG]

The biggest advantage of arriving early is that you get to watch everyone else unloading all their gear while you sit comfortably on the beach:
    [​IMG]

Mark and Blondie arrive:
    [​IMG]

Doesn't take long before the paddling talk begins:
    [​IMG]

By Friday evening the campsite is filling up:
    [​IMG]

inPayne heading out for a paddle:
    [​IMG]

An early presentation to DarrenM before he had to leave on Saturday morning (hope you're feeling better Darren). Darren was presented with a Neufeld Stove and popcorn in appreciation of all his humorous forum posts:
    [​IMG]

Maddie, Elsa, and I went for a paddle on Saturday afternoon to Port Browning -- we stopped near the bridge to check out the marine life and take a few "aerial photos". This is one big bunch of starfish:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Chillin' on the beach at Port Browning:
    [​IMG]

Vacant crab shell:
    [​IMG]

Getting checked out as I paddle back to the campsite:
    [​IMG]

Elsa and Maddie paddling under the bridge:
    [​IMG]

This is the look that one gets when they run their shiny new kayak high on top of a rock that lies just beneath the surface:
    [​IMG]

When one can't get off the rock that they've run aground on, they exit their boat on said rock and then check for scratch damage before continuing on their way:
    [​IMG]

Back at the campsite, everyone looks like they need to relax a bit:
    [​IMG]

Chillin' before dinner:
    [​IMG]

Boats on the beach:
    [​IMG]

Time for the potluck dinner to start:
    [​IMG]

Good food, good company, and a liberal dose of sunshine:
    [​IMG]

The dining room:
    [​IMG]

Kayakwriter's vegetable pasta dish. Mmmm...:
    [​IMG]

Gathering for a few presentations -- I won't post any of the presentation photos as it's been covered in previous posts but I'd like to thank Northwater, Seal Line, Platypus, John Kimantas, author of The Wild Coast series of books and maps, Lise-Ann Beyries and Bryan Smith of Reel Water Productions, and Daren Neufeld for their generousity in providing us with some great items to present to a few of our forum guests:
    [​IMG]

The potluck dinner discussions went well into the evening:
    [​IMG]

Sunday morning kelp:
    [​IMG]

More marine life at the bridge:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the ferry home:
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to everyone for a fantastic weekend!

10. foilan

foilan New Member

Ocean paddling - my first time

Thanks to all WCP this past weekend who added to my excitement of paddling the ocean for the first time. Good conversation everywhere and so many adventure stories. It won't be my last time on the ocean, I fell in love with it. A big thanks to SheilaP for her expertise out there. Looking forward to another ocean paddle. :D

11. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Amazing weather and calm conditions the whole time!

on the way out:
    [​IMG]

more:
    [​IMG]

using the neufeld mk1 with an inserted canister stove to crack oysters for dinner
    [​IMG]

next day out diving around the shoreline. The water was quite murky due to the flow, but still lots of fun:
    [​IMG]

back on the ferry
    [​IMG]

What a great time and great people on this one. Very interesting all the ways and directions that people came from to get there - near and far - everyone with different stories. Weather warm, food warm, interactions warm.

Another good one.

mick

12. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

The WCP Spring get together was another success. I enjoyed the trip. Lots of great paddling, lots of great weather, food and of course a great bunch of paddlers. Can't wait till next year.....well actually I hope I can get lots of ocean paddling in before next spring. Got all the gear cleaned up, not thru my pictures yet. Wondering, also, do any of you wax your boats ? and if so what do you use, is there a product out there that you would recommend?

13. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

I use "3M Marine Fiberglass Cleaner and Wax" available at boating stores. I like the way it cleans all the marks and gunk off while waxing. It is best to remove the bungees and lines or else it can make a mess. (I don't remove them though because that would make a mess too - I just go slow.) :mrgreen: It is a "one step process."

14. RoyN

RoyN Paddler

I use Flitz polish on my fiberglass boats.

15. chodups

chodups Paddler

I use Mr Clean Magic Eraser

16. lomcevak

lomcevak Paddler

My addition to this thread

http://96.48.60.80/WCP_Spring_2009/

Well, here's a link to photos of the trip from my perspective. Included are pictures of a hike to the top of the hill that 5 of us did (thanks for the great time, guys); as well, I have included pics of the terminals along the route, showing accessibility for those wishing to walk on with their kayaks:

Galiano Island: Easy access from ferry ramp down to dock. Distance from ferry ramp: Less than 50 meters!

Maine Island: Very easy access from parking lot through fence to beach. Distance from ferry ramp: about 75 meters.

Pender Island: What access?!?! It's pretty much impossible from the terminal, with signs prohibiting shoreline access. Apparently you can walk to the marina, but it's about 1 km, or so away, and is a little over a kilometer away (up, then down the hill).

I had a great time meeting up with everyone, finally! Wish I could've paddled more, but it was pretty difficult with the separated shoulder. I want to thank RichardH for his kindness in ensuring I was able to get out at Poet's Cove safely - going several kilometers out of his way to do so.

Also, thanks to the others who helped me. And, an especially great thank you to Rider for his generosity! I was expecting a great group of people, and was not disappointed. Welcome to the group, Johan, great having you there; and Kathy, for the laughs (I'll try to avoid plate glass windows in the future!).

Who's up for a June campout? !!!

Note: The link above will eventually be unusable. Feel free to PM me if you get an error.

-Brad

17. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Re: My addition to this thread

Gotta comment on this a bit. It took me, a wheezy middle-aged guy, just ten minutes to wheel my heavily loaded boat from Otter Bay Terminal to Otter Bay marina. It is a bit of a puffy pull on the first uphill bit from the terminal. But you can take a break whenever you want, using the speed bumps as chocks to keep your boat from wheeling back downhill.

The driveway down to the marina is so steep, I would seriously use my tow rope to "rap off" and lower the kayak if the pavement was at all wet - lest I lose my footing and have the boat scrape its bottom away as it went all go-cart on me.

That said, it's well worth the time and the $5 launch fee to avoid the pontentially kayak (and kayaker) breaking cliff scramble at the ferry terminal.

The folks at Otter Bay Marina were very friendly, offering to assist if I needed it. Plus there's a store there for any last minute baked goods or forgotten essentials.