2012 WCP SPRING CAMPOUT - Pictures and Stories

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Mike_Jackson

Mike_Jackson Paddler

I made it out for a nice brief visit to the camp out - great to see everyone there! Lots of good company and good food!
    It was nice to paddle back in the dark after watching the ISS fly over and then see the bio-luminescence around my paddle. My track and a brief description: http://mhjpaddling.blogspot.ca/2012/04/april-14th-portland-island.html

2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

Re: 2012 WCP Spring Camp Out Planning

I managed to catch the 12 o'clock ferry back to the mainland after a frantic and unsuccessful attempt at the 11 AM sailing. Had a really great time connecting with some old acquaintances and was delighted to see so many new faces this year.

Bumped into Rider at the ferry terminal on his way home with a new P & H Delphin.

Can't wait to be back on the ocean again. You coastal paddlers are so blessed.

3. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Sheila P is going through withdrawal. What a great weekend with friends old and new. I hope to see you all again soon. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :hug

4. Tatlow

Tatlow Paddler

:( Painful to read these posts...ice is not yet off the waters here. But one can drive over to Skagway or Haines Alaska. We plan on venturing to the lakes with glaciers this summer (like Atlin) and the Alaska waters next summer when some of the Nanaimo Paddlers head up to the Yukon to visit. Yo Sheila, new knee is holding up eh, gotta love modern medicine.

5. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Excellent and relaxing trip. It was nice to finally put faces to names :)

And Dan, I can't wait to see all the photos that you took!

6. Gecko Paddler

Gecko Paddler Paddler

Thanks everyone for showing the new guys on the block such a great time. :D The pot luck last night was simply amazing and meeting so many of the WCP folks was awesome. The trip was well worth every stitch of the condo that we took to the island to sleep in. :lol:

Thanks everyone for making it such a success!

7. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

AAAaaargh!!! Had to miss trip.... :cry: :cry: :cry:
    What was I thinking building a house :roll: that was 2 weeks late....
    Missed brownies and Philips stir Fry! Post pics please!
    See you all next Fall??, and Dan, see you July 1 up at Paddler's Inn.
    Call me Mr. Envy :mrgreen: You had great weather.

8. SheilaP

SheilaP Paddler

Great food, great location, great people, great time. Hope you can make it next time Rodnak! :D

9. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

This was my first experience walking on the ferry with boats. Went alright, we just had to walk all the way up to the ticket booth on friday night... but they let is go through the side gate today.

Matt and I paddled to the campsite at night and navigated by lighthouse, chart, and compass. The bioluminescence was fantastically strong and magical.
    I always end up splashing about whenever I see it :roll:

When we woke up, this was the view from our front door :)

I figured that I should take a photo of Dan, who was taking photos of everyone else.

We found this beautiful crab. It looked like a red rock crab... except that it was bright PURPLE! The camera didn't pick up the colour, but you can see a bit of purple on his legs. He looked tasty, but we resisted... so we let him go.

Attached Files:

10. Doug_Lloyd

Doug_Lloyd Paddler

Re: 2012 WCP Spring Camp Out - Pictures and Stories

Sorry to have missed you all. I'm waiting to see a neurosugeon, five bulged discs and sever canal stenosis have slowed me way down, though my wife is in full remision with her health wows. I truly used to look forward to meeting up with folks and undergoing the feeding frenzy while at the same time experiencing the calming effects of being around top-notch guys like Philip and Dan who bring soul and wit to the west coast; maybe next year. Nice Vaag there too...

Doug

11. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

What a fabulous time -- arrived on Thursday with Greg, Kelly, and Elsa and watched everyone else arrive over the next couple days. Great weather (although a bit cool in the evenings), great food, and a really great bunch of people. Lots of paddling, hiking, and absolutely no shortage of laughing. Looking forward to seeing everyone's photos. I'll be a few days before I get a chance to sort through and process all my photos.

Thanks to everyone who attended and for making this such a fun event.

12. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

What a great weekend! Monique and I were thrilled to finally meet everyone - we had an absolute blast. Thank you all for showing us first-timers such a good time. We will definitely be coming out next year...and we'll make sure to bring extra Coors Light!

Sorry for the name mixups Dan and Elsa (aka David and Eliza, ha ha). Looking forward to seeing Dan's pictures! We'll be posting some of ours as well.

Alex & Monique

13. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Perfect weather, clear starry nights, huge laughs, good characters, amazing food, & much fun. Thanks a lot, everyone!
    Even a little coast guard rescue excitement on Portland's north shore's powerful, windy, stormy conditions on saturday:

(an exercise)

Attached Files:

14. Kasey

Kasey Paddler

What a great weekend - loved seeing old friends again - this was my fifth WCP campout!! And it's always superb to meet new friends as well! All primed for the year of paddling now! Thanks to all the people that restocked the outhouse with TP and handcleaner, and left us water and chocolate cake!!!

PS....Dear Santa...Kathy needs a new camera. ;)

We spent Friday at the Hotel Tsawwassen. Candi's idea was great - we loaded the boats in the evening (and locked them to the tire rim on my car! ;) Makes for a "no rush" loading onto the first ferry in the morning! Moon in the morning sky...

Government dock in Swartz Bay. BC Ferries not only opened the East gate for us, but on the way home, they opened the gate for us and let us buy our tickets in the main office rather than running up to the ticket booths! We launched our boats right off the carts - pretty well from the position Candi's boat is...perpendicular to the water. Worked perfectly. Now we just have to put winches on the carts so we can do the reverse when we come back. We MUST talk someone into fixing up that creek/path from the beach at the gov't dock up to the road!

Portland Island Paradise as usual! Returned home during a "strong wind warning" Monday morning, on flat calm waters...with a sunburn. ;

Morning has Broken.....

On Monday, (Candi and I, and MarinerChuck stayed one extra day) we did a count - and we think 24 people attended!!! Superb people! Superb food! Superb weekend!

One of the happy faces Sunday morning!! Sorry Sheila...just not fair, right? But I just had to share your wonderful spirit!

Attached Files:

15. WGalbraith

WGalbraith Paddler

Thank you all for sharing the Portland trip with Steve and I. We were both impressed with the passion you all share for being out on the water in skinny little boats. It was a blast to exchange ideas, food, fellowship with like minded people. The Potluck and huddle in the MSR tent was very special and allowed me to finally attach faces and stories to posts on WCP. On the way back, we pulled the crab trap to find one little Rockie and he is now growing bigger for the next trip. Hope all returned home safely and I look forward to many more events like this.

16. Mariner Chuck

Mariner Chuck Paddler

Thanks everyone for a fun- and food-filled potluck on Saturday evening, followed by lots of laughs and stories late into the night! :big_thumb

I enjoyed getting to meet and visit a bit with many of the familiar "faces" here, enjoyed the chance to get on the water for a short paddle with Kasey and Candikayak on Monday and will look forward to time on the water with others in the future.

Cheers! (Said with Coors Light Silver Bullet in hand :wink: )

17. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

As ever, a terrific time. Lovely to see old friends and new faces. A few of the many great moments:

I got off to a good start, sailing the whole way from Village Bay on Mayne Island to Portland.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6BZQh2BWMo[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/o6BZQh2BWMo

I got to play with a new woodstove, assisted by an eager group of interested onlookers.

[​IMG]

Sheila P arrived at dusk, and demo'd the "layback land exit", as used by knee surgery survivors everywhere.

[​IMG]

Dawn on Saturday was lovely.

[​IMG]

Saturday afternoon, everyone did their own thing. I went sailing. This group circumnavigated the island.

[​IMG]

Meanwhile, the selfless Shelia deliberately blew a roll so her spotter could get some rescue practise (pretty game of her to try at all with the recently reconditioned knees, I think.)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li9FqirtVMY[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/Li9FqirtVMY

And the tunnel tent I was field testing worked wonderfully and generated a lot of interest.

[​IMG]

As always, the potluck on Saturday was a highlight. Easy laughter, lots of adventures and misadventures shared, and feeling that people we'd just met were old friends. No pictures from me of that - I was too busy cooking and socializing. Mucho thanks to Dan for toting the MSR Pavilion that made the potluck such a cozy affair. And to Maddie for sending along her brownies, even though she couldn't come herself.

18. alexsidles

alexsidles Paddler

A few pictures of an amazing weekend:

Thanks everyone who posted their pictures! Great memories!

Alex & Monique

Attached Files:

19. Jill

Jill Paddler

Awesome weekend!! The weather was so nice didn't have to dry our gear when we came home .Nice to see old faces and new ones. Wish I paddled more...

Attached Files:

20. Jill

Jill Paddler

A few more.

Attached Files: