2012 WCP SPRING CAMPOUT - Pictures and Stories

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Mike_Jackson, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Re: 2012 WCP Spring Camp Out - Pictures and Stories

Looking out the window today, I wish I were back here...

Click on the photo to see a larger version.

I took this early on Sunday morning when the tide was out and nearly everyone else was still sleeping. The only one up and about other than myself was Candi.

Still sorting and working on the photos -- will have them done soon.

Attached Files:

2. Alana

Alana Wave Seeker

Beautiful! What lens?

3. greg0rn

greg0rn Paddler

Dan, an outstanding photo. A subtle HDR, right?

Can hardly wait for more pictures.

4. Dan_Millsip

Greg, no HDR. It was a panorama compilation of seven shots.

Alana, I used the 14-140mm kit lens that came with the camera (it's the widest lens that I currently have). The shots were taken full open wide at 14mm in portrait mode. The full-size panorama looks really good in full screen mode -- you can clearly see Candi standing next to her tent.

I took the shot at quarter to seven in that awesome golden morning light.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Nice shot(s), Dan; tripod or hand-held? What software do you use for stitching?

6. Dan_Millsip

Finally got through all my photos -- here's about a hundred of them (not even sure if I can upload that many of them in one post). You can click on the images to see larger versions. I tried to get pictures of everyone but unfortunately I missed a few people -- oh, I'm kind of lousy with names, if I've gotten anyone's name incorrectly, please PM me and let me know.

Elsa and I arrived at the Tsawwassen Ferry terminal in time to load our boats and get on the 11:00 AM sailing on Thursday morning. While in the parking lot, Kelly (kaydubbya) from Kelowna showed up -- and as always, it was good to see him. At Swartz Bay, GregN was already in his boat -- he and Kelly had prearranged to meet and paddle over together to Portland Island. Elsa and I joined them for the paddle to Arbutus Point.

After Elsa arrived back from her paddle around the island, Greg, Kelly, Elsa, and myself decided to hike the perimeter trail around the island...

With all the excitement of watching Kayakwriter sailing into and against the wind, Kelly, Alana, Matt, Elsa and I couldn't stand it anymore and decide to paddle to Fulford Harbour for one of their famous lunch burgers...

We were all quite hungry and pretty excited to see the restaurant next to the ferry slip at Fulford Harbour -- by the time we got situated in the restaurant, ordered, had our food arrive, eaten, and got back in our kayaks, I realized that I hadn't taken one single picture of our lunch stop. Sorry about that -- picture in your mind, a fabulously delectable display of culinary excellence and you'll be close to what it looked like. OK it didn't quiet look that good but it tasted really good.

Our story gets a bit interesting at this point. Everyone was quite a ways ahead of me and nearly across the channel. I however, had noticed a large freighter in Swanson Channel and was a bit surprised to see it turn into Satellite Channel as I'd only seen ferries in the few times I've been here. It was quite a distance away and moving slowly and I knew that I had plenty of time to cross...

Well, not really that close -- that was zoomed in. When we arrived back at the campsite I was a bit surprised to have nearly everyone ask me "how close were you to that ship?". Seems that there was a bit of an illusion happening and it seemed to everyone at the campsite that I was directly in the path of the ship -- Gecko Paddler took a photo and it was obvious from that photo why everyone thought that I was doomed (hopefully, he'll post it). Apparently, this created a fair bit of entertainment while I was close to being run over by a freighter.

Here's how close I really was:

Before the potluck dinner started, I headed back down the the tide pools with camera and tripod in hand...

That evening, after the dinner, most of us gathered in the tent for what would be a marathon laughter session. We have a few good compelling story-tellers in our midsts. My face hurt for four days.

I awoke on Sunday before anyone else was up -- and took my camera down to the beach to take some photos. I decided to take a panorama of the campsite -- a total of seven photos joined together to make one large photo -- click on the image to see a larger version:

What a fabulous, fabulous weekend! Thanks to everybody for a great time and a pot luck dinner that will be tough to beat. It was really nice seeing familiar faces and meeting new ones. Hope to see everyone at next year's camp out!

Attached Files:

7. Dan_Millsip

Tootsall, the Arbutus campsite panorama was taken with a tripod. The northeast bay panorama was taken hand-held. I use Photoshop CS5's Photomerge function to make panoramas -- I try to get a 50% overlap as it seems to give good results.

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Thanks, Dan. The reason I asked is that I've done a couple of 360's including Victoria waterfront and the lake in the park across from our house, hand-held, and I do notice a parallax problem in the near foreground (probably because I'm not rotation about the camera's focal center) using both PS5e and Microsoft ICE. I'll have to try giving it a bit more overlap than the 30-35% I usually use.

9. Dan_Millsip

The parallax problem can be avoided using a sliding plate on a tripod so that the point where the image crosses in the lens of the camera can be adjusted to be directly over the tripod rotation axis. The parallax problem is amplified when there are objects close to the camera (as you have found). Considering how close the foreground is to the camera on the Arbutus campsite panorama, I think I got lucky and didn't experience any parallax problem -- probably because the foreground was fairly flat. A sliding plate is on my list of things to get yet.

10. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Paddler

What a great set of pictures Dan. Thanks for posting them. What happened to the other 1100 pictures? ;-D

11. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

Great pictures Dan and everyone else....it was a great weekend......look forward to next year.

Attached Files:

12. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

okay maybe i can do some pics too

Attached Files:

13. candikayak

candikayak Paddler

pics from WCP spring campout

Attached Files:

14. Pawistik

Pawistik Paddler

Great photos everyone (especially Dan), it looks like fun. Dan, that is a lichen and it looks like what I'd call Caribou Moss (but it's still a lichen). Very common in northern Saskatchewan (and the rest of the boreal and beyond) and an important dietary component for it's namesake.
    Cheers,
    Bryan

15. Dan_Millsip

Thanks for the lichen info Pawistik -- it's fairly common here but I've never known what it was called. Strange stuff -- it's rather hard and crusty on the outside but soft and moist on the inside part.

Candi, I really like your photo of the Witches hair (2nd to last) on the trees -- very cool.

16. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

People Counter?

Oh yeah meant to ask: Does anyone know what this was? (it was just beside a path near the north bay)

Attached Files:

17. Tootsall

Tootsall Paddler

Looks like there might be a small lens peeking out of that hole facing the path. A remote snapshot device...maybe infra red?

18. Dan_Millsip

Mick, was that almost in a line from the outhouse? I noticed that there was a solar panel in a tree near the edge of the forest -- and I also noticed a humming sound in the outhouse in the morning (maybe a fan?) -- could be something to do with the ventilation in the outhouses perhaps?

19. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

Tootsall - Here's a better closeup I took. There is a 3/8" aperature into the side of the box directly perpendicular to the path: It has the wording " royal, wet locations " printed on the front:

Dan - it was the west side of the Bay that is abt .5 km away to the west of Arbutus Pt:

I wonder if you shouldn't have been hanging around so often to hear that . . . . . . heh heh.

Attached Files:

20. Dan_Millsip

It was only until I finished the magazine article -- couldn't help but hear it. :roll:

The solar panels I saw were near the campsite. Have no idea what the gray box is for.