3 Kayakers Rescued off Estevan Point

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Jurfie, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Glad to hear everyone is safe. Kudos to the 442 Squadron, Comox for the successful rescue! :clap:

http://www.cknw.com/Channels/Reg/NewsLocal/Story.aspx?ID=1724462

2. pryaker

pryaker Paddler

Sure is gresat to know the 442 is around. A couple times a year they (I'm guessing it's them, not sure who else operates out of big yellow helicopters) practice their stuff here off Powell River. Both day and more impressively at night you can watch them hovering over a moving (seems to be going a good clip, I'd estimate 4-5 knots) Coast Guard boat and practising lowering and lifting people off the deck.

Sure hope no one is planning shutting them down like all the other resources I've been hearing about!

3. nootka

nootka Paddler

A couple shots of the cormorant while looking for Brian Grant in 2006.

Attached Files:

4. jk

jk Paddler

I would love to know which rocks they were near. Perez Rocks are the closest. Last time I passed we couldn't get within about 2 km. The rollers off the lighthouse were so high when we passed I took a video, but I removed it from Youtube yesterday after someone posted a comment "That was like watching paint dry." Ha. Guess the video didn't quite catch it. The rocks at Escalante Point were also nasty that day. We kept trying to cut through but got turned back by huge breakers that would suddenly appear. I have a vivid memory of a massive green wall of water appearing straight up in front of us from nothing. The saving grace was it broke on the hidden rock and mostly disipated (sp?) immediately after. I can see how someone could easily get into trouble.

5. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Wow... did not realize this was west coast of VI. Is Comox the closest? Not a nice place to get banged up for sure...BUT... it may be better than running aground at any of the west beaches in Vancouver, once Kits station closes... Sorry, but does anyone in Ottawa understand Geography :?

6. Mariner Chuck

Mariner Chuck Paddler

I guess this helicopter really gets around! In 2010 I "watched" it (more accurately heard it and saw its lights/silhouette) evacuate a woman on a SKABC trip from Murchison Island (in Gwaii Haanas Park Reserve) at 1 or 2am. I was camped just across from the evacuation site on Faraday Island. A Watchman at the nearby hot springs later told me the helicopter had come in from Comox and then flown back to Comox. He said it's got some outfitting that allows it to do night operations (no idea what). Thanks Nootka for posting the photos--neat to see what it looks like.

7. CRPaddler

CRPaddler Paddler

8. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

Anyone learned anything new about this case?

9. Ken B

Ken B Paddler

ditto!

My curiousity is still piqued...
    One of the things I'm wondering about...if they were all 'Experienced Kayakers', why is it that none appear to have not had a VHF radio on their person?