A loss to the paddling community: Ecomarine goes under

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by kayakwriter, Sep 11, 2019.

1. asmin

asmin New Member

So incredibly sad... Looking for other places to take lessons, sign up for tours or day paddles, and other useful resources.

2. AM

AM Paddler

Some good news: I talked to the general manager of Jericho today and he was adamant that they want a kayak school at that location going forward. Apparently 2500 people took lessons there last year and Jericho has plans to build on that success, including possible upgrades to the facility. There was more he couldn’t tell me, except to say that things are moving forward nicely. When I told him that there was a lot of concern in the community about the potential loss of the facility, including from out-of-towners, he said he wanted the word out that things look good. So stay tuned, folks!

Cheers,
    Andrew

JohnAbercrombie and sbourgoin like this.
  3. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

4. waterbaby

waterbaby New Member

Thanks for all the updates, @kayakwriter Philip. Francine and I were season's pass holders at Ecomarine for close to 20 years - we are both absolutely bereft. Thinking of you and all the other staff who are suddenly out of work -- you were all so warm, welcoming and supportive over the years. Heartened to hear that Deep Cove has generously offered to honour our passes for the rest of the season, but Ecomarine going under has still left a big hole...

5. rider

rider Paddler

I will throw in my 2 cents, because I believe in painting a more complete picture. My experience with Ecomarine has been mixed. They tried selling expired flares to my girlfriend at the time, told me they have a part available only to shrug and say they can't find it when I got there from PoCo, one of their guys told me that they put a big rock into a boat to 'keep it from flying away' when they were actually trying to (poorly) push out an oil can dent, several times chatting with some other staff gave me an impression that they had a patchy knowledge of the boats they sell. I know many of you had great experiences dealing with and working at Ecomarine, including people I know,respect and trust... I don't mean to put salt in the wound, but maybe there is more to their going under than strictly economics and shifting of people's hobbies away from sea kayaking.

6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Thanks for the kind words; we miss you both too. With any luck we'll see you on the water at some point. Many of us ex-Eco staff still paddle out of Jericho pretty often.

7. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Hi Rider,

Thanks for adding your pieces to the mosaic. Obviously, I'm not an official spokes person for Eco and never was. So take this as just my personal thoughts, and as a partial explanation, not an excuse. One of the huge challenges with any specialty retailer is finding knowledgeable staff. Add to the mix a seasonal expansion and contraction that sees you going from fewer than ten core staff in the winters to several dozen in the summers, and you are for sure going to get staff lacking the "baked in" experience that I flatter myself that Ken and I brought to the table. And not tarring all young people with the same brush, but some summer job workers are insecure about admitting it when they don't know an answer and offering to get the right info, so they may be tempted to wing it with whatever response they imagine is plausible. Sorry if you were the victim of any such shenanigans.

rider likes this.
  8. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Hi again all. Just updating with some info on Ecomarine's going out of business sale. The official ad is posted below. A couple of tidbits for you:
    There will not be a point of sale (cash register) at the Jericho location. So you'll have to go to the Granville Island location, purchase the boat and get a receipt, then come to the Jericho location on the days it's open to pick up your boat. Which means if you need to look at the boats first, you'll need to make a round trip from Jericho to GI and back. Kind of a pain. On the plus side, some good deals, including several rotomoulded Romanys for under a gr Ecomarine webgraphic (Oct 2)-page-001.jpg deals, including several used rotomoulded Romanys for under a grand. So if you are looking for a tough, inexpensive skeg boat for rock gardening, these are a great choice.

9. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

So as noted on the other thread, all the used boats have sold in a job lot, so the sale will feature new boats only, and will be at the Granville Island location only, not at Jericho.

10. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Updated sale sign

eblast_ecomarine1008.jpg

11. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

So this is the final weekend for Ecomarine. Killer deals on the stuff that's left ((I'm not working until this weekend, so if you want to ask about boats, please ring them at 604 689 7575)

webgraphic_ecomarine1016-page-001.jpg

12. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

So some of you will already have heard the good news, but for the rest of you: Deep Cove Kayaks has taken over Ecomarine's Jericho location and will be offering lessons, etc. starting next Spring. They've also hired our former operations manager to run it. So the "catch" is that you'll probably see a lot of familiar faces from Ecomarine as your guides/instructors there (including yours truly)!

Jurfie likes this.
  13. rider

rider Paddler

14. pawsplus

pawsplus Paddler

SO HAPPY about Deep Cove taking over!! That's just great. Saves my summer. :) WHOO HOOO!!!