A mix of trips from the Gulf Islands...

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by kayakwriter, Nov 29, 2018.

1. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

Astoriadave and jefffski like this.
  2. JohnAbercrombie

JohnAbercrombie Paddler

Philip-
    Nice write-up; thanks!

You might want to note that Shingle Bay is not really 'kayak friendly' - you need a reservation, so if you don't kayak with your cell phone you will be out of luck. Also, the tent sites are quite far from the beach - none closer than 100m or so, even though there is a perfect bench with 3-4 potential tent sites just up from the beach. When I stopped there, all the campsites were occupied, most with extensive 'appliances' and kids toys (tricycles, etc, even a screened gazebo at one site) .. Apparently the 'walk-in' trail must allow wheelbarrows for camping equipment!

Never again.

Anyway, we were headed south, so went on to Arbutus Point and got the last campsite there. An overly-officious Parks summer staff person in uniform then proceeded to give us a hard time because one of our (solo) tents wasn't on a gravel pad. (Yes, we'd paid for 2 sites even though only one was available....). "Sensitive environmental zone, blah, blah..." I tried to explain that my tent was on the same grass that is in lawns in Victoria, that Portland had been farmed in the past with homestead, livestock free to wander, etc... . Finally, I had to play my 'senior card' and state that I was too tired to paddle any further and would be gone in the morning!!
    But, in less busy times, Arbutus Pt is very nice. I was there on a day paddle today.

Astoriadave likes this.
  3. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

John, our parlance is "geezer card." Have to remember this. Oh, yeah, forgot. My backup is the "I forgot" card. Used to have more of these ...

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

The basic point of:

"I was [too tired, too dark, too hurt, too scared, too windy, too hungry, etc.] to paddle any further . . . !!"

is very interesting . . . the bcmarinetrails is having a lot of backroom discussion around this point and think it might be a 'key' to unlock some previously offbounds situations. The notion is to call them 'safety stops'.

Good call, John.

5. Layback

Layback Paddler

The 'Geezer Gambit' works every time. Just remember to put your hand to your ear when they are talking.

JohnAbercrombie likes this.
  6. kayakwriter

kayakwriter Paddler

"Necessity" has been successfully used as a legal defense for actions like breaking into private cottages by hikers who were facing hypothermia. So surely it would stand for minor breaches like camping off-pad rather than risking life and limb by paddling on waters that were too dark/windy/wavy to an alternate destination that was too far away... I think if some parks official tried to turf me in such a situation, I'd make a point of getting their name and badge # and explaining that I'd be texting that info to my next of kin.

7. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

With Philip on this. The principle of duress and need for safety as a justification for violation of property rights is a strong one, and well established, I imagine. OTOH, designated safety stops may encourage those timid about "breaking rules" to protect themselves.