A new MEC store coming to Langley!

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Dan_Millsip, May 28, 2013.

1. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

It's located at Willowbrook Mall (in a separate building) at the previous location of Sportmart and Danier Leather (near the Safeway and Dairy Queen).

Opening in a few weeks.

10 minutes from my house. I see some new gear in my future.

2. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Sweet! I had no idea. I hope it is at least on par with the Vancouver (Broadway) store. I can wander around that one for hours, but the North Van one? I'm done after a few minutes.

3. Dan_Millsip

Looks like it's maybe a bit bigger than the original North Van store (I haven't been to the new North Van store) but there's a vacant space beside it (used to be a Rogers Video) that would likely make a logical (and large) addition later on.

Jurfie, just because there's not as much gear in a smaller store doesn't mean that the experience will be compromised -- it's more of an opportunity to savor the experience of less hustle and bustle and delve into learning those small details about gear that we all so much crave. Years back, there was a small outdoor store in downtown Langley across from the Dairy Queen on Fraser Hwy, that I used to get excited about going to -- it wasn't all that big but there was cool stuff crammed in all over the place -- I could easily tear up an hour in that store. And it was not even close to the size of the North Van MEC but it's... gear, man.

4. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Reading back what I wrote, I didn't really express myself really well. :?

I've been to the NV store a number of times, and have made purchases there. I usually stop by after a paddle out in Indian Arm, since it is not too far out of the way (and I usually pop into Deep Cove Outdoors too).

Don't get me wrong: the NV store is full of great gear and helpful staff - like the other MECs I've been to. However, due to the fact it is smaller than the Broadway (flagship) store, the selection is (understandably) not as big (especially in the paddling department). This is not an issue if I need a particular item, since I could order it online or they could bring it in from another store, but sometimes I - like any of us, I'm sure - like to just wander in and browse around...check out what's new, see what's on sale, drool over an item that I can't afford...usually after those sessions I walk out with something I didn't need, or intend to buy when I walked in. :cool I consider that the price of admission to walk through the doors and kill time in the candy store. :D

Sadly, it has been years since I've camped, so I tend to gravitate towards the paddling gear department at MEC (or Deep Cove Outdoors, or Ecomarine) when I'm bored and want to check out gear. I'm just (selfishly) hoping the new Langley store (which is much closer to me than any MEC or paddling store) has a decent paddling department and becomes my new destination store when I'm bored (and don't want to drive too far). :big_thumb

Regardless, I'm excited.

5. Whidbey

Whidbey Paddler

That's awesome! It will be nice not to have to go through Vancouver to get to MEC.

6. JimmEh

JimmEh Paddler

It almost makes me sad I don't still live in walnut grove/Ft Langley....... almost.

do NOT miss the city one bit.

7. Dan_Millsip

Trucks have been dropping stuff off over the past few days -- product is filling the store.

8. cruzin

cruzin Paddler

I'm soooo excited!!! When is open day?

9. Dan_Millsip

I believe the "soft-opening" is on or around June 15 -- the grand opening is scheduled for June 22.

10. windancer

windancer Paddler

You guys are just spoiled....... :D We don't have one anywhere in Saskatchewan neither Saskatoon or Regina.

Terry

11. Dan_Millsip

Jurfie, the Langley store has a pretty decent sized paddling section -- lots of products but not as much stock as the Vancouver store, however, there will be three delivery days per week to the store so stock should replenish in a timely manner.

Soft (unannounced) opening is this Friday. Grand opening is on the 22nd.

12. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

Sweet! :big_thumb

I was planning to head in for the Grand Opening on the 22nd, but a buddy has suggested we go for a paddle instead. Looking forward to geeking out in the new store!

13. Dan_Millsip

The store is now open.

14. puddlepaddler

puddlepaddler Paddler

Yeah new store!! Boo new logo!

15. Jurfie

Jurfie Paddler

http://www.thestar.com/business/2013/06 ... o_mec.html

16. BigandSmall

BigandSmall Paddler

Great on the new store but downsize the marketing group that came up with the new logo idea. Change for the sake of change? Way to get rid of a logo people associate with decent quality.