A week paddling/fishing in Clayoquot Sound (August 15-20)

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Tex, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Tex

Tex Paddler

Hey all,

A few months back I posted asking for some advice about wanting to spend a few days kayaking and fishing in Clayoquot Sound with my girlfriend, Tiff:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=7646

Thanks for all of your advice and messages - every bit of info was greatly appreciated and helped a lot!

Well, after hours of research, a number of phone calls, and even a couple of half-day courses (reading marine charts, and kayak surf-landings), we took the plunge (so to speak) and set out for Tofino! It was a tremendous experience with a number of trials and tribulations along the way, but we had an absolute blast.

We set off bright and early on Saturday morning, August 15th - our kayaks on the roof and our gear stowed in the back of the Rav4. As we'd never attempted anything like this before, we were nervous but excited. We stayed overnight in Ucluelet that evening, and headed to Tofino on Sunday morning to meet up with Liam from Tofino Sea Kayaking for a half-day course on surf landings. After learning the ins and outs of landing a loaded kayak in the surf (he was tremendous and I'd highly recommend reaching out to him if you ever do something similar) we re-loaded the kayaks and headed for the government wharf/launch on the NE corner of the Tofino peninsula.

That afternoon involved 4-5 hours of paddling before we made it to our ultimate camping destination on Vargas island, but there was lots of fishing and exploring along the way that slowed us down. The video below should provide some highlights. :)

The biggest challenge of the whole trip turned out not to be the surf-landings, but that our stove was broken and wouldn't stay lit! We ended up cooking 100% of our meals in or over the fires we lit on the beach (fortunately the fire ban in the "fog zone" had been lifted days before we went). Having to improvise and cook all of our food "old-school" turned out to be one of the most memorable parts of the trip, actually. hangloose.gif

The week flew by... we spent our days exploring the beach, fishing nearby coves and kelp beds, reading our books, and discussing life.

The nights were warmed by driftwood campfires and a flask of fireball.

It was the highlight of our summer - maybe of our whole year.

Here's a short video summary of clips we took (and yes, there are fish involved!).

Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzwrQwhdE0k

2. Astoriadave

Astoriadave Paddler

Re: A week paddling/fishing in Clayoquot Sound (August 15-20

Great report, nice video, also, Tex. Looks like you had a great trip, in style no less.

3. chodups

chodups Paddler

Well done!

Thanks for posting!

4. mick_allen

mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

What a magical video, thank you so much. Looks like you had a great time - the weather and scenery looked just amazing.

5. Seasider

Seasider Paddler

Positively inspirational trip report and superb video!
    Great to see people receive useful information from this forum and then give back with a trip report.

6. VanIslePaddler

VanIslePaddler Paddler

As I said before, AWESOME video Spencer!

It was great getting to paddle / play with you guys that morning. Thanks for dragging me down to the beach!

Liam

7. Tex

Tex Paddler

Thanks everyone! Glad you enjoyed the report/video!

Liam - our morning with you was actually one of the best parts of the trip (even though the rest was amazing). Paddling in the surf and getting tossed like a cork had me laughing like a little kid again... hadn't felt that way in years! And to see you were enjoying yourself almost as much as we were really added to the experience. Thanks again man!

Hope this inspires some more people to get out and make their "dream" trips happen.

Cheers!
    Spence

8. mbiraman

mbiraman Paddler

Hey ; great report. Looks like you had a blast. Thanks for posting.

PS- you might want to consider a small wood stove as backup,,,or primary stove. Alcohol stove is also an option.

9. Tex

Tex Paddler

Thanks! Yes it was a fantastic trip, definitely looking forward to doing it again in future years.

PS - alcohol stove? If we burn it, what am I supposed to drink? ;)