Advice needed on Widgeon Creek

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by Rodnak Kayak, Aug 21, 2011.

1. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Looking for a hot summer weekend paddle/beach/swim deal, and this looks like it might fit. Going next weekend.
    As long as there is enough draft, I am not too concerned with tides or currents, as Dan had mentioned in another forum.
    Is the Canoe rental shop still closed, I hope so, and if so, can it still be quite busy? We don't mind company, just me and the wife, but not maddening crowds. :yikes:
    I understand there is a bear cache, are there pic nic tables?
    Also I assume the dock will be busy at Grant Narrows, can this be a spoiler...?
    Any input would be great, otherwise we are off to Sechelt as another option, just trying to avoid ferry.
    Thx!!!
    :popcorn:

2. Steve_Fairbairn

Steve_Fairbairn Paddler

The rental place is gone but, AFAIK, the former operator still rents boats from a trailer. It can be busy on nice weekends but not as busy as other popular spots like Deep Cove. There are no picnic tables at the campsite. Many of the people who paddle to the campsite are day trippers heading up to Widgeon Falls or backpackers heading to Widgeon Lake to camp.

While the dock at Grant's Narrows can get busy, it's never been a problem for me. There is a small beach next to the dock you can launch from and a few parking spots next to the beach dedicated to loading and unloading boats. Even on very busy weekends I've not had a problem getting my boat in or out of the water.

3. Dan_Millsip

Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

Canoes and kayaks can launch from the small beach or the dock for free. If you launch at the boat launch, you'll be charged $10.00.

4. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Hey Guys,
    thanks much for the info. The more I think on it, it may be better suited to a day trip. Sounds like the camping there is a bit "busy" with all the travel through, so to speak. BUT October is nice... Hmmm
    At least now I know
    Cheers

5. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

Just a heads up Rod

Campground has a metal bear cache and two pit toilets with brand new doors. As for rentals its hit and miss as the phone number below is VERY difficult to reach anyone. It seems that a gentleman that lives across the way from grand narrows manages the rentals. The phone number some times is forwarded to the old concession stand still on site at the boat launch.
    But from the friends I gave the number, no one answered or returned calls. And the young couple during the week I bumped into got a error message from the phone number.

The manager seemed to hint that he is around most sat Sundays but not so much on weekdays.

Completed the Hike to Widgeon Lake on sunday and side trip to the falls on the return trip.

I was surprised this sunny weekend to find the campground pretty empty with 3-4 tent pads empty. Which might be in part that its so difficult to reach the rental place to preplanned a camping trip. The other fact was 7-8 people where camping at the Lake.

6. Rodnak Kayak

Rodnak Kayak Paddler

Hey Cam,
    Thanks for the info, I see you have been a busy boy over the summer!!! HUGE trips!! Nice :big_thumb
    You know we don't need rentals, this was simply a "crowd gauge".
    I think the fall is for this one, a day trip for starts..
    Looks like we are off to Sunshine Coast to paddle out to Buccaneer Bay Prov park on North Thornmanby Island, very small, less than i hectare, but warm for swimming and very sandy. A side trip to Merry Island and so forth to explore, it is across Welcome Passage from Smugglers Cove
    Cheers,
    Rod

Have you been to blackberry Point this summer?

7. camshaft

camshaft Paddler

Re: Advice needed on Wigeon Creek

Well was sure if maybe you where just going to grab a canoe and make the voyage over. Rather then cart the kayaks etc..

I personally think the lower falls trail has great views but the trail to the lake has a better falls. It was a 1-2 km up the lake trail and well worth the extra effort.
    Only issue is all the boardwalks and stairs are falling apart which is pretty sad. I can imagine when they were new it was a pretty amazing accomplishment.

[​IMG]

8. camshaft

camshaft Paddler