• We apologize for the somewhat convoluted sign-up process. Due to ever-more sophisticated attacks by chatbots, we had to increase our filtering in order to weed out AI while letting humans through. It's a nuisance, but a necessary one in order to keep the level of discourse on the forums authentic and useful. From the actual humans using WCP, thanks for your understanding!

advice sought on transporting multiple boats

Michael_E

Paddler
I need to haul 4 boats from Victoria to Bamfield and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations/advice on a set up that would allow me to get 4 boats on my roof rack and to their destination in tack. My roof rack is currently set up with two sets of Hulley Rollers for two boats. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers
Michael

I assumed the J craddles allowed the best use of room but what companys mag ad has like 4-5 boats on to top of a VW ?

The next question would be what type of boats, poly, fiber, length etc..

And what roof rack system are you running ? and length of bars

My two cents worth:
Your rack is not likely rated beyond 150 lbs (what is it rated to?) and the road is a bit bouncy depending on how recently they have graded the road. This is combo that has broken a few roof rack "towers" in the past. (the part that goes from bar to roof), on this road.
I have seen two CD storms that had bounced off the car with the rack and cradles still attached. And countless other tower collapses (dont know specifically why) from overloading.
I dont know of any way to beef up an existing rack and make it stronger.
I will sometimes put 4 boats on my 150lb rated rack, but only in town, very short drive, with V bow and stern lines in case the towers do fail.
Lastly, (if you have a older car with a beefy roof), since the rack is the weak point, you could forego the rack and sandwhich the whole mess to the roof with foam cradles and foam between contact points of each boat. I call this the student whitewater trip method. Bit of a mess, but some expertise can make this work great!
If it were me, I would check out alternative solutions, such as renting one kayak in Bamfield (if you are headed to Barkley Sound)
Have a great trip!

The only way is to remove the Rollers and install a center post/tower and stand the kayaks on edge, two on each side. Thule Racks call their's a '830 the Stacker'.
Use foam pipe insulation tubes or short foam 'V' blocks on the rack for under the boats.

Good Luck.

1. Buy a trailer; or,

2. Make two trips; and,

3. Given the normal state of the Bamfield road (where cops are often not allowed to take cars), Take the MV Lady Rose from Port Alberni.

It is highly recommended that safety comes first and four boats are not transported on a rack meant for two.

I'm in agreement w/Ken B. removing the rollers and using a "stacker" system w/boats on edge. I brought a canoe and five kayaks across the continent that way. Do tie down the racks should they fail. But I've likely driven tens of thousands of miles, many of them on logging roads, w/boats on top and the only thing that's failed was my ability to strap the boats down properly. (I've used both Thule and Yakima racks.) Regularly inspect the racks and boats, too.

Thanks for the input it's greatly appreciated! the wealth of experience on this site never ceases to amaze me. I have a Thule rack with 58 inch bars. The boats in question are a Solstice GT, 2 Solstice gts and a Tempest 170. I'm encouraged by your experience Jon and think I'll check out a stacker.

Cheers
Michael

1267830002.jpg

Camshaft, it looks like you've tied the boats to themselves as well as as to the rack. How far were you transporting the boats?

That photo camshaft posted looks familiar: an ad, perhaps?

Yep, found it: Atlantis Kayaks.

Interesting that the car in the photo looks like a Toyota Corolla, mid-2000s model. Just like mine. My Yakima rack is rated to 120 lbs and the comparable Thule setup is, I believe, 145 lbs for that car. Those four boats are probably in the range of 220 lbs total (give or take). Well over the limit of the rack, and given four paddlers plus gear in the car, possibly over the load limit for the car as well.

Whatever we may do in private, whatever chances we take, I think the only option for a public forum like this is to say: stay within the published limits of your roof rack.

Regards,
Andrew

Camshaft linked to an image on the Atlantis website.

An observation about the setup in Camshaft's linked photo... I wouldn't drive with that setup the way it is -- bow and stern tie-downs are absolutely necessary -- especially when you might be getting close to overloading the rack system. Tie-downs will limit a lot of "bouncing", add strength to the entire rack system, and will be a safety backup in case of a failure.

I don't see that the boats are tied together in the photo -- it looks to me that each boat is only tied to the upright racks.

Properly secured with straps and bow and stern lines and so long as the weight does not surpass the rating for the rack, I'd have no problem driving with that setup -- even long distances at freeway speeds. I should add to this however, that I would not under any circumstances carry any gear or supplies inside the kayaks while on the roof of the vehicle -- even if overall weight is still within manufacturers limits.

The bigger question that I see is how are you going to get four people AND all their gear for a multi-day trip into a car that size?

Dan_Millsip said:
The bigger question that I see is how are you going to get four people AND all their gear for a multi-day trip into a car that size?

And, assuming you do, how will you get it over the first pothole? (The Bamfield road is usually more a series of contiguous pothole than a road)

Oh yeah, another suggestion. Tie the four boats together and launch 'em like a raft. Then drive the vehicle on. Float to Bamfield.

ken_vandeburgt said:
Dan_Millsip said:

And, assuming you do, how will you get it over the first pothole? (The Bamfield road is usually more a series of contiguous pothole than a road).
The potholes aren't always bad on that road -- we drove it a few years ago and it was actually quite good. I think in this regard it depends on how soon you're driving it after maintenance has been done. And if there are potholes, it's definitely going to be hard on the car regardless of how slow one drives (especially if the car is overloaded) -- but it certainly is doable.

Personally, if the car is as small as the one in the photo, I'd be talking to the other three kayakers about taking another vehicle. If you're already on the Island, it's not that expensive to drive another vehicle to Bamfield.

No question the road is usually passable albeit usually with some rough spots.

I drove it two years ago and it was autobahn grade all the way.

That being said, I would never attempt it with an overloaded vehicle.

We are driving in a Ford Explorer SUV not a car. I guess I didn't put that anywhere in my post. I'll be sure to check weight restrictions. I never travel with gear in my boats but it's a good reminder Dan.

Cheers
Michael

Michael_E said:
I need to haul 4 boats from Victoria to Bamfield and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations/advice on a set up that would allow me to get 4 boats on my roof rack and to their destination in tack. My roof rack is currently set up with two sets of Hulley Rollers for two boats. l

You could invite someone else along on the trip who has a rack that can carry 3 boats. :mrgreen: :big_thumb

Love the Bill Mason picture Pawistik. Makes one miss the safety conscious 70's.

Sorry guys I had typed some text into the post but obviously it went missing.

When Michael_E posted looking for multiple boat transport it came to mind atlantis magizine ads.

I did not add that under no reason would I attempt an install like this. As stated above overload of rack with weight and wind stress while driving is given. Plus the little car is going to be way over its max weight carrying capacity and ridding on the bump stops. And the biggest issue was no bow,aft lines to protect your investment when the rack fails.

My reason for posting the picture was to show you could fit 4 boats onto a small car. But for obvious reasons its not right

AM said:
That photo camshaft posted looks familiar: an ad, perhaps?

Yep, found it: Atlantis Kayaks.

Interesting that the car in the photo looks like a Toyota Corolla, mid-2000s model. Just like mine. My Yakima rack is rated to 120 lbs and the comparable Thule setup is, I believe, 145 lbs for that car. Those four boats are probably in the range of 220 lbs total (give or take). Well over the limit of the rack, and given four paddlers plus gear in the car, possibly over the load limit for the car as well.

Whatever we may do in private, whatever chances we take, I think the only option for a public forum like this is to say: stay within the published limits of your roof rack.

Regards,
Andrew

Back