Alex Morton Launches Petition

Discussion in 'General Paddling Discussions' started by canoecat, Mar 19, 2009.

  1. Labowe

    Labowe Paddler

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2008
    Messages:
    29
    I am surprised that anyone would take what The National Post and The Financial Post have to say about any environmental issue with an ounce of credibility. They are a business first newspaper (just look at the ownership) who over the years in editorial stance have denied the existence of global warming, support the Alberta oil sands and the new pipeline to the USA and if I recall correctly see nothing wrong with heavy oil tanker traffic along the BC coast. Seriously can we take what they say as an unbiased source for any fair review or potential criticism of the subject of fish farms? As for Ms Krause one has to just look at her blog to know where her agenda lies. On all of the above issues she takes the conservative, anti-environmental stance, she is well matched with The Financial Post, they are kindred spirits.
     
  2. Dan_Millsip

    Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Messages:
    9,289
    Location:
    Beautiful BC
  3. nootka

    nootka Paddler

    Joined:
    May 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,407
    Location:
    Campbell River
  4. nootka

    nootka Paddler

    Joined:
    May 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,407
    Location:
    Campbell River
    Alexandra Morton's submission to the Cohen commission:
    http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/Mort ... 318%29.pdf

    Alexandra presents a convincing argument in the 61 pages of data, excerpts from scientific literature, and emails.

    There is a condensed version at
    http://alexandramorton.typepad.com/alex ... ckeye.html
     
  5. WGalbraith

    WGalbraith Paddler

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2009
    Messages:
    171
    Location:
    Victoria
    This and many other issues affect every trip that I take on the waters of the West Coast. As kayakers, we are close to the areas most at risk to damage from an oil spill. I do not trust even the best intentioned companies to protect these waters from being destroyed by a tanker spill. Without the pristene shores, the abundant wildlife and the nature all around me, I might as well stay home.

    I support the posting of these issues wholehearedly but for those feeling overwhelmed, offended or don't share the views of those posting them, might I suggest a seperate discussion page titled " Causes affecting Kayakers", or simply " Petitions" .
     
  6. nootka

    nootka Paddler

    Joined:
    May 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,407
    Location:
    Campbell River
  7. mick_allen

    mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Messages:
    2,781
  8. Dan_Millsip

    Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Messages:
    9,289
    Location:
    Beautiful BC
    If true, this is rather sad...


    http://www.vancouversun.com/health/...ailing+protect+wild+salmon/5748331/story.html

    Government agencies failing to protect wild salmon

    By Ruby Berry, Vancouver Sun November 22, 2011

    Recent reports of the presence of the deadly ISA virus in B.C. wild salmon seem to have alarmed everyone except those meant to be taking care of the wild salmon.

    Rather than taking immediate measures to determine the extent of this threat, the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency leaped to discredit the findings and assure international markets that all is well in Canadian waters. Unfortunately, their claim rests on inconclusive evidence and degraded samples.

    Instead of launching an emergency investigation into this potential disaster, the federal government has announced a million dollar grant to the Canadian Aquaculture Industry Alliance for international advertising. It appears that the health of B.C. waters, and the wild salmon is not the priority of the federal government after all.

    Ruby Berry Georgia Strait Alliance, Nanaimo
     
  9. nick

    nick Paddler

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    Messages:
    110
    Location:
    Ladysmith BC
    Well considering the source I'd give it a 20% chance of this being true on the truth and the sky is falling gauge.. Seriously, whether people want to hear this or not, the majority are starting to roll their eye's whenever a "concerned" organization like this speaks out.

    And can you blame people? The Foy's, Watsons and Suzuki's have been telling Lie's, half truths and on more than one occasion out right lied. Take Suzuki's recent lies about the wild salmon being infected from farmed salmon at 95% chance infection when the number was actually 5% to 95%,, meaning no one knew for sure, and than have a 100 year record salmon run and Suzuki quietly shredding and deleting his lies from his website. People notice this stuff. Gov. know and see this and they'll take the safe road everytime.

    Want to get my attention, start telling the truth because as it sits right now even if they are i'd tend not to believe...
     
  10. dvfrggr

    dvfrggr Paddler

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2005
    Messages:
    394
    Location:
    Seattle,Wa
    Canada kept detection of salmon virus secret
    A decade before this fall's salmon-virus scare, a Canadian government researcher said she found a similar virus in more than 100 wild fish from Alaska to Vancouver Island. But Canadian officials never told the public or scientists in the United States about those tests.

    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/l ... us30m.html

    Front page headline of this mornings read caught my attention, read article to the end, dosen't seem as doom and gloom as the headline suggests.

    Dave R
     
  11. drahcir

    drahcir Paddler

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2010
    Messages:
    431
    Location:
    North Idaho (Sandpoint)
    The article mentions a concern that has existed for some time:
    "Environmentalists in Canada and some U.S. politicians worry that Fisheries and Oceans Canada may be ill-equipped to deal aggressively with the risk because it's responsible both for protecting the country's wild fish and for promoting British Columbia's salmon farms."

    This intrinsic conflict of interest needs to be removed. Science and marketing make poor bedfellows.
     
  12. mick_allen

    mick_allen Paddler & Moderator

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Messages:
    2,781
    Gov't emails call virus information a PR problem:
    the reason comes is in this quote from the article:
    fromhttp://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2011/12/17/bc-cohen-commission-salmon.html
    This additional information is possibly chilling:
     
  13. Dan_Millsip

    Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Messages:
    9,289
    Location:
    Beautiful BC
  14. Dan_Millsip

    Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Messages:
    9,289
    Location:
    Beautiful BC
  15. ken_vandeburgt

    ken_vandeburgt Paddler

    Joined:
    Nov 13, 2007
    Messages:
    1,155
  16. Dan_Millsip

    Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Messages:
    9,289
    Location:
    Beautiful BC
    Ken, I believe this proposed legislation is a problem -- a huge problem -- for both salmon and our civil rights. Talk about backwards thinking. The politics of this country regarding the environment are taking a huge turn for the worse. Scary stuff.
     
  17. canoecat

    canoecat Paddler

    Joined:
    May 28, 2007
    Messages:
    103
    Location:
    Sointula
  18. nootka

    nootka Paddler

    Joined:
    May 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,407
    Location:
    Campbell River
    http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/NewsRe ... leased.php

    http://www.cohencommission.ca/en/FinalReport/
     
  19. Dan_Millsip

    Dan_Millsip Paddler & Admin

    Joined:
    Mar 8, 2005
    Messages:
    9,289
    Location:
    Beautiful BC
  20. nootka

    nootka Paddler

    Joined:
    May 26, 2007
    Messages:
    1,407
    Location:
    Campbell River
    A good letter to the editor in today's paper. (emphasis mine)

    Contrary to Campbell River Mayor Walter Jakeway; quoted as saying “We need this industry.” I beg your pardon Mr. Jakeway but we did just fine before the salmon farming industry came. It’s like the salmon farming industry has created a situation that we’re now dependent on. This sounds like the relationship between a drug addict and his pusher in a feeble scenario where the addict eventually dies from use of the pushers product. Has Mayor Walter Jakeway forgotten how vibrant a city Campbell River and many other coastal communities were before the salmon decline?

    The jobs created by the salmon farming industry are but a fraction of what the commercial wild salmon industry used to provide to the economy before salmon farming appeared and began destroying it. And that’s just the commercial fishery. The sport sector and tourism is touted by B.C. as paramount and world class and contributes significantly to our economy. Why not give tourists something to boast about instead of us having to give embarrassing whining excuses about our stocks in decline?

    And if any one believes this industry is a way to feed the worlds starving masses, this is not the industry that will ever do it. The energy inputs, intensive management and fishing down the worlds stocks of “forage fish” (Herring, Anchovies, Sardines) to turn into feed pellets and multitude of other secondary environmental damages caused, makes this product unsustainable.

    http://www.campbellrivermirror.com/opin ... 42941.html